• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

I'm wearing my white linen SC tomorrow (12/22), just try and talk me out of it.

comrade

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by NewYorkRanger
OK, I know I'm not Luciano Barbera, but I like the idea of a white jacket in winter. I'll be pairing my white linen db jacket with a Navy Bengal Stripe FC shirt, brown and creme stripe cash tie, and light grey LP flannels. Prob will wear my cigar LWBs, and if cold enough, a VNeck sweater (light brown perhaps).

Thoughts...

Oh, The Humanity!

someotherstyle

Reaction score
Originally Posted by comrade
Oh, The Humanity!

+1. White yes. Linen....
facepalm.gif

JPHardy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I predict pain.

Don't do it Rob.

Besides the reasons posted by Parker and Doc, I think it doesn't work for you. As I have mentioned several times, we should not and can not dress in a vacuum. There are certain things that should not be worn at certain times of the year, in certain locations and by certain people.

You wearing a white linen SC in December in Brooklyn, pretty much breaks all 3 points for me.

I haven't had a chance to comment, but what you have been wearing lately fits you well. Maybe actual fits might be off, a bit here and there, but they look like the fit you.

JP

NewYorkIslander

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Pain it is. Just don't feel right in it and it isn't doing what I hoped it would. Part of it I think is the fit, especially that I have a sweater underneath, but I hoped as its a softer white that it would be a good winter color. It just isn't. I will however post the pics from this morning later and take the ripping I feel it has coming, but I'm also taking the jacket off and going with the sweater for the rest of the day.

Montauk

Reaction score
I wore white/cream flannels and a navy corduroy half-norfolk sportcoat yesterday. Warmed up the look with a camel fair isle. I say keep the winter white down south.

MBreinin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Does this mean I can wear my cream Freeman's suit??
devil.gif

Mike

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Pain it is. Just don't feel right in it and it isn't doing what I hoped it would. Part of it I think is the fit, especially that I have a sweater underneath, but I hoped as its a softer white that it would be a good winter color. It just isn't. I will however post the pics from this morning later and take the ripping I feel it has coming, but I'm also taking the jacket off and going with the sweater for the rest of the day.
Linen this time of year in a cold climate on a cold day doesn't make sense to me, especially with winter (i.e., flannel) pants. The colors looked good together in the WAYWN pics, but the fabrics are too incongruous for my taste.

NewYorkIslander

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JayJay
Linen this time of year in a cold climate on a cold day doesn't make sense to me, especially with winter (i.e., flannel) pants. The colors looked good together in the WAYWN pics, but the fabrics are too incongruous for my taste.

I agree. I think if I had a flannel coat like that (prob s/b though) in a bit of a more subdued white, closer to off white, it would work.

Beaune Head

Reaction score
I'll be pairing my white linen db jacket. Prob will wear my cigar LWBs.
Thoughts...

Instead of the LWBs, some kind of two-toned kicks like saddle shoes or spectators. Why not be completely out of season?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads