• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

If I have some extra cash, what should I get?

dfagdfsh

Professional Style Farmer
Reaction score
like, think about it though. if you spent $500 on weed and $500 for pizza you'd have so many new friends/sex

Felix Krull

Reaction score
Young man, as you can see wit is in no short supply on this forum so I recommend you go to the askandyaboutclothes.com forum. The lot over there are a bit more tolerant of innocent seekers of wisdom such as yourself. Style Forum is only for those who wish to debate such heady matters like the merits of Holland & Sherry's 245 gram Super 130s versus their 18.5 micron Kid Mohair Super 100s summer cloths.

Ask a question of such import and you'll no doubt get some enlightening responses. I'll go ahead and bite and tell you that i would buy at least one decent pair of shoes. I recommend the Allen Edmonds Park Avenue as your first real men's shoe. Take the rest of the money and buy yourself a pair of Zanella trousers, a MTM shirt, and a RL sportcoat that you can find on sale at seasonal periods at most department stores.

Xiaogou

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by sho'nuff
buy $200 worth of Citigroup stock.
it'll be $2000 by end of this year.

Now that's what I'm talking about
worship.gif
. I bought a shitload of Citi and GE.

dfagdfsh

Professional Style Farmer
Reaction score
$500 in weed seeds and $500 in growing equipment = $10,000 in notime

L.R.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hmmm... citigroup stock....... I think Ill pass on that one.

penguin vic

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Felix Krull
Young man, as you can see wit is in no short supply on this forum so I recommend you go to the askandyaboutclothes.com forum. The lot over there are a bit more tolerant of innocent seekers of wisdom such as yourself.

Isn't that a forum for discussing jeans?
devil.gif

To the OP - if you ask such a broad and open question on SF you're likely to get the responses you've got. What do you need? What do you like?

Nicola

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by L.R.
Heres the story:

Im a third year university student, who recently has come into about 1000 bucks canadian. Now following my degree; I plan on doing a stint in the military before business school, so I have no real need of suits. .

Are you at RMC?

If you're doing two years in the military I'm not sure how much sense it makes to worry. Don't they still force you to wear green all the time?

Instead of rushing to buy anything I'd just keep an eye out on good deals. If you don't find anything just keep saving. When you get close to leaving the military then pick up a couple of suits. Hell who knows maybe they'll send you some place nice and you'll be able to find some good deals. Are there any bases left in Europe?

wetnose

Reaction score
Heres the story:

Im a third year university student, who recently has come into about 1000 bucks canadian. Now following my degree; I plan on doing a stint in the military before business school, so I have no real need of suits. However, I want to use this money to invest in some quality clothing that will last awhile. Im wondering what people would suggest I should look at for buying.
Any advice would be great,
thanks;
L.R.

I'm thinking that at this stage of your life, it's better to go with clothing that can do double duty as casual or business:

1) At least 2 white business shirts - the Bay has a good range. Look for the Hudson Bay range of Egyptian cotton shirts @ about $45 each. If you want to go all out, then try justwhiteshirts.com.

2) RM Williams Comfort Craftsman boot - IMO, simply the most comfortable multipurpose shoe ever invented. If you're in Toronto or Vancouver, australianboot.com has locations. Highly highly recommended. Make sure you take care of them and they'll last forever. Try them locally then order from bootsonline.com. About $300 Cdn vs $450 from the store. A good alternative is the Allen Edmonds range - good deals online. If you're feeling adventurous, then Loake 1880.

3) Peacoat - a true classic that looks good over a suit jacket or even on it's own. Worth spending at least CAD $500 on - trust me, it'll be totally worth it. Make sure you look around for a good high end one. There are good sales on, and this is one item worth spending the money on.

4) You might have enough left over for a nice tie - so check out the really nice ones at Harry Rosen, then look for equivalents at Winners.

I assume you're about 21 or thereabouts. If you're heavy now, your body may change during the military. So don't bother spending too much on suits.

That being said, you should at least have 1 good suit for formal occasions like weddings and funerals. There's a good forum consensus of ebay seller wizard of aaahs (search on ebay for m. valentino) - excellent value for money and jeff is really good to deal with.

emmanuel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Buy a used watch!

Now following my degree; I plan on doing a stint in the military before business school

How long do you plan on putting off becoming a professional?

Girardian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Consolidate your resources. One good pair of shoes, and a watch that will stand the test of time. You'll wear both stylishly and with pride for years and never regret your decision.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads