• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

I want spectator shoes

Nick M

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
anyone have pics of the RLPL specs? i plane on hitting the city in a couple of weeks and well if i like how they look i might just have to bring some extra cash (well alot of extra cash) thanks.
No photo (I need a new scanner) but they were in a recent Details in a spread on spectators. They were right next to a wingtip derby spec by Lobb Paris, and the RLPL shoe just blew the Lobb away in terms of finishing. The Lobb just looked plain cheap by comparison.

arenn1

Reaction score
Here's the pictures. I've never tried embedding images on this site, so keep your fingers crossed. If someone is really interested in purchasing these and wants to see the high res images, I can probably arrange to get you copies of those.
aldenspecs10xn.jpg
aldenspecs26zy.jpg
aldenspecs30zq.jpg
aldenspecs46tm.jpg
aldenspecs58fx.jpg
aldenspecs66un.jpg

AlanC

Minister of Trad
Reaction score
Arenn1's pictures are a better representation of the white buc and color of the tan than the ones Steve Fazio emailed out and were posted above. (Aren't those golf shoes? What will you wear them with?
devil.gif
)

Smooth Jazz

Reaction score
(A Harris @ April 08 2005,18:37) Here's my new spectators. Waddya think?
I would have done the throat in the dark leather (is that black or oxblood?), but they look very good. I know that it isn't very traditional, but I do like the combination.
And some pics of my new 3-eyelet derby's:
I think that you're fortunate that T4Phage isn't your size. Otherwise, he'd probably hop a plane to California and steal them from you. Beautiful, and a big improvement over JL Paris's Perrier. That's oxblood, too, isn't it? And when you have samples of the new round-toe last, I expect pictures.
JCusey: I agree with you that this design with the dark leather throat as you mentioned can look quite good. Kiton has just the kind of spectators you are talking about in their current line-up. People may balk at the ~$2k price tag (they are completely handmade though), but the shoes are worth seeing.

jcusey

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Kiton has just the kind of spectators you are talking about in their current line-up.

At the Kiton store or at Bergdorf Goodman? It's probably academic since I'm unlikely to be back in New York before they're gone, but it would be nice to know.

(As an aside, does it seem to you that BG's lineup of Kiton shoes is very, very different from the Kiton store's? The Kiton store seems to me to have much more traditional-looking models, while BG seems to have more clunky, aggressively-welted and aggressively-antiqued shoes more in the Lattanzi mode.)

People may balk at the ~$2k price tag (they are completely handmade though), but the shoes are worth seeing.

But compared to Lattanzi, they're a bargain. At those prices, I'm unlikely to buy either Lattanzi or Kiton at retail, but that doesn't change the fact that both make some exquisite shoes.

arenn1

Reaction score
I'm not a genius on the Mezlan brand, but I did just recently see a collection of them largely priced at well under $300/pair. Nothing in allilgator, but I also saw nothing that impressed at the $1100 level. Clearly inferior to most quality dress shoes I've seen. Could I be mistaken on the brand name?

AlanC

Minister of Trad
Reaction score
I'm not a genius on the Mezlan brand, but I did just recently see a collection of them largely priced at well under $300/pair.  Nothing in allilgator, but I also saw nothing that impressed at the $1100 level.  Clearly inferior to most quality dress shoes I've seen.  Could I be mistaken on the brand name?
No, I think you probably weren't mistaken.

Teacher

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

zjpj83

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well, being the chap who started this thread, I think it apporpriate to say I now have spectators. Stuart's Choice Grenson masterpieces, linen and leather. Pics below.
p1010069medium1ra.jpg
p1010070medium6ad.jpg

Duveen

Reaction score
Cross-posting from the Paul Stuart Sale thread on what one (or at least I) would wear with specs:
Cream tropical-weight wool trousers
'Natural' linen trousers, poss also some 'Orangina' linen trousers from BB which I may pick up tomorrow with the 15% discount
Tan and white stripe seersucker pants
Very light grey summer flannels
Khaki poplin trousers (light khaki)
Mid-brown linen trousers from RL

The good news is that those pants constitute pretty much my whole summer pants wardrobe.

Basically, I don't see spectators as all that different from the lighter tan shoes that I normally would wear in summer. Particularly if they are linen and leather, the contrast of bright white to non-white pants is less of an issue. While I admit that they are a bit 'costumey', I think that brown and white specs blend in a lot more than black and white specs. I do plan to wear them to my biz cas office at least occasionally (tho' you don't want to overdo it with shoes that distinctive).

Smooth Jazz

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Smooth Jazz,April 10 2005,20:35
Kiton has just the kind of spectators you are talking about in their current line-up. Â
At the Kiton store or at Bergdorf Goodman? It's probably academic since I'm unlikely to be back in New York before they're gone, but it would be nice to know. (As an aside, does it seem to you that BG's lineup of Kiton shoes is very, very different from the Kiton store's? The Kiton store seems to me to have much more traditional-looking models, while BG seems to have more clunky, aggressively-welted and aggressively-antiqued shoes more in the Lattanzi mode.)
People may balk at the ~$2k price tag (they are completely handmade though), but the shoes are worth seeing.
But compared to Lattanzi, they're a bargain. At those prices, I'm unlikely to buy either Lattanzi or Kiton at retail, but that doesn't change the fact that both make some exquisite shoes.
The Kiton's at BG don't sell very fast -- so they may still be there when you visit. Â Although I agree with you that the Kiton shoes that BG carries are much more aggressively antiqued, I am not sure if they are any more clunky or more aggressively welted a la Lattanzi than the store models. Â At BG you have 3-4 different lasts at least one of which is relatively "clunkier" but shoes using that last are more casual in nature. Â Many of the Kiton shoes at BG are made from Cordovan -- there are a few calf shoes as well. Â For eg., they are presently carrying a black calf cap-toe with no frills. Â Also, at the Kiton store, the shoes on the ground level are very conservative (mainly calf) as you have mentioned, but upstairs on the third floor they have all the models at BG plus some. Â They also do "bespoke" shoes on the third floor -- honestly, I was not quite sure about these because the guy "trained" to measure the foot was the store manager himself. Â Luigi is a great guy and everyting but he could never take the place of a Tony Gaziano. Â The "bespoke" shoes were $2.7k when the regular line was priced at $1.8k (they are now $1.95k). Â On a related note, Louis Boston carries many of the same models as BG and is 10% or so cheaper. Â The Lattanzi's are cheaper too at Louis (the price inflation on Lattanzi's during the last three years makes the last point quite irrelevant).

jcusey

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Also, at the Kiton store, the shoes on the ground level are very conservative (mainly calf) as you have mentioned, but upstairs on the third floor they have all the models at BG plus some. They also do "bespoke" shoes on the third floor -- honestly, I was not quite sure about these because the guy "trained" to measure the foot was the store manager himself. Luigi is a great guy and everyting but he could never take the place of a Tony Gaziano. The "bespoke" shoes were $2.7k when the regular line was priced at $1.8k (they are now $1.95k).
Thanks. You learn something new every day. I didn't know that they had the bespoke shoes on the third floor, and the salesman didn't volunteer that information. I guess that it was obvious that I wasn't going to buy anything.

I wonder how bespoke the "bespoke" offerings really are. As you point out, measurement is problematic; but do you have a virtually unfettered choice of what you want, or are you presented with a number of possible models and a number of different detail options?

Smooth Jazz

Reaction score
I wonder how bespoke the "bespoke" offerings really are.
My understanding of Kiton's "bespoke" shoe program is that you could choose any of the leathers -- off the top of my head, they had ~30 different ones -- calf, antiqued cordovans and exotics (which cost extra) -- and start with one of their shoe designs (there were a number of designs on offer) as a base and make changes.  They are in no way as "bespoke" as EG or Cleverley.  Additionally, there is no trial shoe -- you order the shoe and if it does not fit as you had wanted, they will refund your deposit or make another pair.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 36.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.8%

Forum statistics

Threads