1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

I want spectator shoes

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by zjpj83, Mar 19, 2005.

1. arenn1

arenn1 Well-Known Member

I ordered them over the phone. Definitely putting some faith in those photos. But I know Alden quality, so I'm hopeful. Will second your comments on Steve Fazio. He was extremely helpful.

2. whnay.

whnay. Senior member Dubiously Honored

just make sure if you get them, to match it up with this briefcase by a. testoni. [​IMG]

3. AlanC

AlanC Senior member

Ditto on the above. I'm glad Steve got a sale out of it.

Great briefcase.

4. arenn1

arenn1 Well-Known Member

Got the shoes today - they look awesome. Steve Fazio did not charge for shipping and including a handwritten note. The white buck is not as shiny white as the photos would indicate. Very nice indeed. I can't wait till it's the right season to wear them.

5. Duveen

Duveen Senior member

If you have a moment (and wouldn't mind) could you take a few more photos. I am curious to really see how the Hampton last works with these shoes. Vews from above, even side views, down the toe, etc would be nice to get a sense of the look and feel.

6. A Harris

A Harris Senior member Dubiously Honored

Here's my new spectators. Waddya think? [​IMG] [​IMG] Awful pictures really, they look so much better in person. And some pics of my new 3-eyelet derby's: [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

7. johnnynorman3

johnnynorman3 Senior member

Derby's are gorgeous. Is that really the U-last? I like how it looks with the plain toe -- not as sharply shaped looking.

8. zjpj83

zjpj83 Senior member

9. jcusey

jcusey Senior member Dubiously Honored

I would have done the throat in the dark leather (is that black or oxblood?), but they look very good. I know that it isn't very traditional, but I do like the combination.

I think that you're fortunate that T4Phage isn't your size. Otherwise, he'd probably hop a plane to California and steal them from you. Beautiful, and a big improvement over JL Paris's Perrier. That's oxblood, too, isn't it?

And when you have samples of the new round-toe last, I expect pictures.

10. Manton

Manton Senior member Dubiously Honored

I fear to look, yet I cannot turn away ...

11. A Harris

A Harris Senior member Dubiously Honored

Thanks, it also has to do with the sole. I order my U-last shoes with a double sole, it balances the look in my opinion, which is important for a sz 13.

I think Jcusey is right, they would look even better with a dark throat. I wasn't sure if they would do that or not, now I know to specify them that way next time.

The derby's are oxblood, the spectator's are dark brown/cognac.

12. jcusey

I've seen this sort of thing on shoes made by other makers, and I think that it works out very well. It accentuates the narrowness and grace of the bevelled waist.

13. arenn1

arenn1 Well-Known Member

The spectators aren't to my taste, but the plain toe derby is an amazing shoe. I want it.

BTW: When I showed my wife the spectators I bought, she thought I'd gone off the deep end. Doesn't think there's anything I can actually wear them with. She says I'll need to buy all new clothes. (There's an idea......). I think she likes the shoes themselves but thinks they are pretty much "golf shoes" (her words). Oh, well.

I'll try to take some snaps tomorrow.

14. jamesbond

jamesbond Senior member

anyone have pics of the RLPL specs? i plane on hitting the city in a couple of weeks and well if i like how they look i might just have to bring some extra cash (well alot of extra cash) thanks.

i dont care what anyone one says the vass specs look amazing. you can be sure that no one else in your neighborhood will have them. very unique (allthough i agree that the throat should be cognac)

15. Stu

Stu Senior member

That's funny, I bought those too, I assume they are the same at any rate, and the color was fine on mine. Kind of a chesnut color similar to the pair Ron Rider was selling on his Website.

16. Nick M

Nick M Senior member

No photo (I need a new scanner) but they were in a recent Details in a spread on spectators. They were right next to a wingtip derby spec by Lobb Paris, and the RLPL shoe just blew the Lobb away in terms of finishing. The Lobb just looked plain cheap by comparison.

17. arenn1

arenn1 Well-Known Member

Here's the pictures. I've never tried embedding images on this site, so keep your fingers crossed. If someone is really interested in purchasing these and wants to see the high res images, I can probably arrange to get you copies of those. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

18. AlanC

AlanC Senior member

Arenn1's pictures are a better representation of the white buc and color of the tan than the ones Steve Fazio emailed out and were posted above. (Aren't those golf shoes? What will you wear them with? [​IMG] )

19. Smooth Jazz

Smooth Jazz Well-Known Member

(A Harris @ April 08 2005,18:37) Here's my new spectators. Waddya think?
    I would have done the throat in the dark leather (is that black or oxblood?), but they look very good. I know that it isn't very traditional, but I do like the combination.
    I think that you're fortunate that T4Phage isn't your size. Otherwise, he'd probably hop a plane to California and steal them from you. Beautiful, and a big improvement over JL Paris's Perrier. That's oxblood, too, isn't it? And when you have samples of the new round-toe last, I expect pictures.
    JCusey: I agree with you that this design with the dark leather throat as you mentioned can look quite good. Kiton has just the kind of spectators you are talking about in their current line-up. People may balk at the ~$2k price tag (they are completely handmade though), but the shoes are worth seeing.

20. jcusey

At the Kiton store or at Bergdorf Goodman? It's probably academic since I'm unlikely to be back in New York before they're gone, but it would be nice to know.

(As an aside, does it seem to you that BG's lineup of Kiton shoes is very, very different from the Kiton store's? The Kiton store seems to me to have much more traditional-looking models, while BG seems to have more clunky, aggressively-welted and aggressively-antiqued shoes more in the Lattanzi mode.)

But compared to Lattanzi, they're a bargain. At those prices, I'm unlikely to buy either Lattanzi or Kiton at retail, but that doesn't change the fact that both make some exquisite shoes.