1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

I want spectator shoes

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by zjpj83, Mar 19, 2005.

1. zjpj83

zjpj83 Well-Known Member

If you really want style, there's always these. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. AlanC

AlanC Well-Known Member

Oh, sure. Link it after the bidding's over... [​IMG]

3. arenn1

arenn1 Well-Known Member

I'm not a genius on the Mezlan brand, but I did just recently see a collection of them largely priced at well under $300/pair. Nothing in allilgator, but I also saw nothing that impressed at the $1100 level. Clearly inferior to most quality dress shoes I've seen. Could I be mistaken on the brand name?

4. AlanC

AlanC Well-Known Member

No, I think you probably weren't mistaken.

5. Teacher

Teacher Well-Known Member

What...those bowling shoes?

6. zjpj83

zjpj83 Well-Known Member

Well, being the chap who started this thread, I think it apporpriate to say I now have spectators. Stuart's Choice Grenson masterpieces, linen and leather. Pics below. [​IMG] [​IMG]

7. Duveen

Duveen Well-Known Member

Cross-posting from the Paul Stuart Sale thread on what one (or at least I) would wear with specs:
    Cream tropical-weight wool trousers
    'Natural' linen trousers, poss also some 'Orangina' linen trousers from BB which I may pick up tomorrow with the 15% discount
    Tan and white stripe seersucker pants
    Very light grey summer flannels
    Khaki poplin trousers (light khaki)
    Mid-brown linen trousers from RL

The good news is that those pants constitute pretty much my whole summer pants wardrobe.

Basically, I don't see spectators as all that different from the lighter tan shoes that I normally would wear in summer. Particularly if they are linen and leather, the contrast of bright white to non-white pants is less of an issue. While I admit that they are a bit 'costumey', I think that brown and white specs blend in a lot more than black and white specs. I do plan to wear them to my biz cas office at least occasionally (tho' you don't want to overdo it with shoes that distinctive).

8. Smooth Jazz

Smooth Jazz Well-Known Member

Originally Posted by Smooth Jazz,April 10 2005,20:35
    Kiton has just the kind of spectators you are talking about in their current line-up. Â
    At the Kiton store or at Bergdorf Goodman? It's probably academic since I'm unlikely to be back in New York before they're gone, but it would be nice to know. (As an aside, does it seem to you that BG's lineup of Kiton shoes is very, very different from the Kiton store's? The Kiton store seems to me to have much more traditional-looking models, while BG seems to have more clunky, aggressively-welted and aggressively-antiqued shoes more in the Lattanzi mode.)
    But compared to Lattanzi, they're a bargain. At those prices, I'm unlikely to buy either Lattanzi or Kiton at retail, but that doesn't change the fact that both make some exquisite shoes.
    The Kiton's at BG don't sell very fast -- so they may still be there when you visit. Â Although I agree with you that the Kiton shoes that BG carries are much more aggressively antiqued, I am not sure if they are any more clunky or more aggressively welted a la Lattanzi than the store models. Â At BG you have 3-4 different lasts at least one of which is relatively "clunkier" but shoes using that last are more casual in nature. Â Many of the Kiton shoes at BG are made from Cordovan -- there are a few calf shoes as well. Â For eg., they are presently carrying a black calf cap-toe with no frills. Â Also, at the Kiton store, the shoes on the ground level are very conservative (mainly calf) as you have mentioned, but upstairs on the third floor they have all the models at BG plus some. Â They also do "bespoke" shoes on the third floor -- honestly, I was not quite sure about these because the guy "trained" to measure the foot was the store manager himself. Â Luigi is a great guy and everyting but he could never take the place of a Tony Gaziano. Â The "bespoke" shoes were $2.7k when the regular line was priced at $1.8k (they are now $1.95k). Â On a related note, Louis Boston carries many of the same models as BG and is 10% or so cheaper. Â The Lattanzi's are cheaper too at Louis (the price inflation on Lattanzi's during the last three years makes the last point quite irrelevant).

9. jcusey

jcusey Well-Known Member

Thanks. You learn something new every day. I didn't know that they had the bespoke shoes on the third floor, and the salesman didn't volunteer that information. I guess that it was obvious that I wasn't going to buy anything.

I wonder how bespoke the "bespoke" offerings really are. As you point out, measurement is problematic; but do you have a virtually unfettered choice of what you want, or are you presented with a number of possible models and a number of different detail options?

10. Smooth Jazz

Smooth Jazz Well-Known Member

My understanding of Kiton's "bespoke" shoe program is that you could choose any of the leathers -- off the top of my head, they had ~30 different ones -- calf, antiqued cordovans and exotics (which cost extra) -- and start with one of their shoe designs (there were a number of designs on offer) as a base and make changes.  They are in no way as "bespoke" as EG or Cleverley.  Additionally, there is no trial shoe -- you order the shoe and if it does not fit as you had wanted, they will refund your deposit or make another pair.

11. marc237

marc237 Well-Known Member

zjpj83

Great shoes; I sure wish they had them in my size when I was there. Oh well.

12. amirrorcrackd

amirrorcrackd Well-Known Member

13. zjpj83

zjpj83 Well-Known Member

14. Tokyo Slim

Tokyo Slim Well-Known Member

Actually... I really like the shape of those shoes. I would really prefer these not be as blatantly two tone. I think they would look nice with all brown leather uppers, maybe with some heavy antique shoe cream or something put on them...

15. billbusse

billbusse New Member

This may be way beyond the date your original post was placed here but I'm a spectator guy from way back. They are my favorite shoes and I probably have
    a couple hundred pairs of specs. Most are black and white or brown and white but also have them in every color combo. My beef is the people who really don't know what specator shoe means. They are showing saddle shoes and wingtips and describing them as spectators. I've also seen spat boots or button boots described as spectators when that is not the correct terminology. Maybe these terms are used to increase sales but our language has gone down the tubes in too many ways.
    Specators or coorespondents (as the Brits used to call them) definitely have to have two colors. Originally they were either black and white or brown and white.
    Anyway, hope you are enjoying each pair you wear. I've been fascinated by this type of shoe since I was a kid and my 'rich' uncle always wore these cool shoes when he visited in the summer.

Makes me want to wear them every day, all year long.

16. dasai

dasai Well-Known Member

If you really have that many (or even a fraction, really), you should post them here.

I think this thread's long since expired.