• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

I want spectator shoes

arenn1

Reaction score
I ordered them over the phone. Definitely putting some faith in those photos. But I know Alden quality, so I'm hopeful. Will second your comments on Steve Fazio. He was extremely helpful.

whnay.

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
just make sure if you get them, to match it up with this briefcase by a. testoni.
050308mc_l.jpg

AlanC

Minister of Trad
Reaction score
Let me know what you think when you get them.

Good to know that posting the photos (and, more importantly, Alan C's posting of the phone #) helped Steve close a sale.  He's a good guy and was very helpful on the phone.
Ditto on the above. I'm glad Steve got a sale out of it.

Great briefcase.

arenn1

Reaction score
Got the shoes today - they look awesome. Steve Fazio did not charge for shipping and including a handwritten note. The white buck is not as shiny white as the photos would indicate. Very nice indeed. I can't wait till it's the right season to wear them.

Duveen

Reaction score
If you have a moment (and wouldn't mind) could you take a few more photos. I am curious to really see how the Hampton last works with these shoes. Vews from above, even side views, down the toe, etc would be nice to get a sense of the look and feel.

A Harris

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Here's my new spectators. Waddya think?
Vassulastspecs1.jpg
Vassulastspecs2.jpg
Awful pictures really, they look so much better in person. And some pics of my new 3-eyelet derby's:
Vassulastseyelet01.jpg
Vassulastseyelet1.jpg
Vassulastseyelet02.jpg
Vassulastseyelet2.jpg
Vassulastseyelet3.jpg

johnnynorman3

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Derby's are gorgeous. Is that really the U-last? I like how it looks with the plain toe -- not as sharply shaped looking.

jcusey

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Here's my new spectators. Waddya think?

I would have done the throat in the dark leather (is that black or oxblood?), but they look very good. I know that it isn't very traditional, but I do like the combination.

And some pics of my new 3-eyelet derby's:

I think that you're fortunate that T4Phage isn't your size. Otherwise, he'd probably hop a plane to California and steal them from you. Beautiful, and a big improvement over JL Paris's Perrier. That's oxblood, too, isn't it?

And when you have samples of the new round-toe last, I expect pictures.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
I fear to look, yet I cannot turn away ...

A Harris

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Derby's are gorgeous. Is that really the U-last? I like how it looks with the plain toe -- not as sharply shaped looking.

Thanks, it also has to do with the sole. I order my U-last shoes with a double sole, it balances the look in my opinion, which is important for a sz 13.

I think Jcusey is right, they would look even better with a dark throat. I wasn't sure if they would do that or not, now I know to specify them that way next time.

The derby's are oxblood, the spectator's are dark brown/cognac.

jcusey

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I order my U-last shoes with a double sole, it balances the look in my opinion, which is important for a sz 13.
I've seen this sort of thing on shoes made by other makers, and I think that it works out very well. It accentuates the narrowness and grace of the bevelled waist.

arenn1

Reaction score
The spectators aren't to my taste, but the plain toe derby is an amazing shoe. I want it.

BTW: When I showed my wife the spectators I bought, she thought I'd gone off the deep end. Doesn't think there's anything I can actually wear them with. She says I'll need to buy all new clothes. (There's an idea......). I think she likes the shoes themselves but thinks they are pretty much "golf shoes" (her words). Oh, well.

I'll try to take some snaps tomorrow.

jamesbond

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
anyone have pics of the RLPL specs? i plane on hitting the city in a couple of weeks and well if i like how they look i might just have to bring some extra cash (well alot of extra cash) thanks.

i dont care what anyone one says the vass specs look amazing. you can be sure that no one else in your neighborhood will have them. very unique (allthough i agree that the throat should be cognac)

Stu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I also bought some Moreschi specs from Bluefly, but the leather turned out to be a great deal more orange than the online pictures suggested, so back they went.
That's funny, I bought those too, I assume they are the same at any rate, and the color was fine on mine. Kind of a chesnut color similar to the pair Ron Rider was selling on his Website.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads