1. Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 10: A full set of Aesop's Fables pocket squares from Vanda Fine Clothing

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 10th auction of the year is for a full set of Aesop's Fable's pocket squares from Vanda Fine Clothing. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

I want spectator shoes

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by zjpj83, Mar 19, 2005.

1. jcusey

jcusey Distinguished Member Dubiously Honored

Umm, because they look cool.

Well, in that case, I suggest that you don't buy any. More for the rest of us.

2. TimelessRider

TimelessRider Senior Member

I must be one of the few people who like spectator shoes, but dislike white (in any material) as the lighter color. Tan linen, as in RIDER's pics or tan twill, looks so much nicer.

And Adelaide spectators--what a fantastic idea. One more for the wish list.

3. Duveen

Duveen Senior Member

Can someone please put in a pic of an Adelaide shoe? Is this an E. Green model or a generally-understood term like balmoral? I can't imagine it as a spec if I don't know what it looks like...

4. Manton

Manton RINO Dubiously Honored

The shoe I posted on the first page is an adelaide; so is this: [​IMG] Notice that there is no seam between the vamp (front top) and the quarters (rear sides). Â That is all one piece. Â Yet the throat (the little panel where the lace eyelets are) is separate. Â That's what makes an adelaide shoe. It is a generally used term like balmoral. Though balmoral is used loosely to mean any non-blucher lace-up, when really it refers to a shoe with straight seams from laces to rear.

5. jcusey

Manton, you ignorant slut. This shoe that you posted has a vamp-quarter seam. It's hard to see because the leather on both sides of it is white, but it's there. And the throat is not properly shaped for it to be an Adelaide. [​IMG] In any event, Adelaide is synonymous with U-throat. JL Paris's Adelaide cap-toe model is called the Adelaide. EG has a number of different Adelaide models: Plymouth (wing-tip), Canterbury (cap-toe half-brogue without toe medallion), Lichfield (similar to Canterbury), Telford (cap-toe half-brogue with toe medallion), Southwold (short wing-tip with funny heel counters), and Pelham (a cap-toe version of the austerity brogue). Edited to negate the "properly" in the first paragraph.

6. Manton

Manton RINO Dubiously Honored

Pedant.

7. Kai

Kai Distinguished Member

My absolute favorites are these Vass spectators on their Budapest last: [​IMG]

8. FIHTies

FIHTies Distinguished Member

(Manton @ Mar. 20 2005,13:39) The shoe I posted on the first page is an adelaide
    Manton, you ignorant slut. This shoe that you posted has a vamp-quarter seam. It's hard to see because the leather on both sides of it is white, but it's there. And the throat is properly shaped for it to be an Adelaide. [​IMG] In any event, Adelaide is synonymous with U-throat. JL Paris's Adelaide cap-toe model is called the Adelaide. EG has a number of different Adelaide models: Plymouth (wing-tip), Canterbury (cap-toe half-brogue without toe medallion), Lichfield (similar to Canterbury), Telford (cap-toe half-brogue with toe medallion), Southwold (short wing-tip with funny heel counters), and Pelham (a cap-toe version of the austerity brogue).
    I think I understood about 3 words in this post, slut being one of them. [​IMG]

9. jcusey

Aww. You're so sweet. [​IMG]

10. zjpj83

zjpj83 Distinguished Member

I simply cannot warm up to the Budapest last.

11. jcusey

As with cloud9eleet and spectators, that just leaves more of them for the rest of us.

I'd like that Budapest spectator better if it had white suede (or even tan suede), but it is quite a striking shoe. Very nice.

12. Looking to improve

Looking to improve Senior Member

Jcusey: Since you've brought them up. What is the difference between EG's Canterbury and EG's Lichfield? As an addition to your list of adelaides, I'd propose EG's Weymouth (u-cap). MtB

13. jcusey

See, this is what I get for opening my big mouth. After staring at the pictures for some time, the only differences that I can discern are these: 1. The Canterbury has two small perforations stacked vertically between each larger perforation on the rows of brogueing at the seams. The Lichfield does not have these small perforations. 2. The perforations on the Lichfield appear to be smaller in diameter than the larger perforations on the Canterbury.
    Thanks. I learn something new every day. Do you happen to have a picture of Weymouth?

14. TimelessRider

TimelessRider Senior Member

As an addition to your list of adelaides, I'd propose EG's Weymouth (u-cap).
    Thanks. I learn something new every day. Do you happen to have a picture of Weymouth?
    LookingtoImprove posted pics of his lovely EG Weymouths here.

15. jcusey

Thanks, TR.

LtI, you're right. That would make a heck of a spectator. I dare say that you'd be the only one on your block with that.