1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

I want spectator shoes

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by zjpj83, Mar 19, 2005.

1. Manton

Manton Senior member Dubiously Honored

2. Kai

Kai Senior member

My absolute favorites are these Vass spectators on their Budapest last: [​IMG]

3. FIHTies

FIHTies Senior member Affiliate Vendor

(Manton @ Mar. 20 2005,13:39) The shoe I posted on the first page is an adelaide
    Manton, you ignorant slut. This shoe that you posted has a vamp-quarter seam. It's hard to see because the leather on both sides of it is white, but it's there. And the throat is properly shaped for it to be an Adelaide. [​IMG] In any event, Adelaide is synonymous with U-throat. JL Paris's Adelaide cap-toe model is called the Adelaide. EG has a number of different Adelaide models: Plymouth (wing-tip), Canterbury (cap-toe half-brogue without toe medallion), Lichfield (similar to Canterbury), Telford (cap-toe half-brogue with toe medallion), Southwold (short wing-tip with funny heel counters), and Pelham (a cap-toe version of the austerity brogue).
    I think I understood about 3 words in this post, slut being one of them. [​IMG]

4. jcusey

jcusey Senior member Dubiously Honored

Aww. You're so sweet. [​IMG]

5. zjpj83

zjpj83 Senior member

I simply cannot warm up to the Budapest last.

6. jcusey

As with cloud9eleet and spectators, that just leaves more of them for the rest of us.

I'd like that Budapest spectator better if it had white suede (or even tan suede), but it is quite a striking shoe. Very nice.

7. Looking to improve

Looking to improve Senior member

Jcusey: Since you've brought them up. What is the difference between EG's Canterbury and EG's Lichfield? As an addition to your list of adelaides, I'd propose EG's Weymouth (u-cap). MtB

8. jcusey

See, this is what I get for opening my big mouth. After staring at the pictures for some time, the only differences that I can discern are these: 1. The Canterbury has two small perforations stacked vertically between each larger perforation on the rows of brogueing at the seams. The Lichfield does not have these small perforations. 2. The perforations on the Lichfield appear to be smaller in diameter than the larger perforations on the Canterbury.
    Thanks. I learn something new every day. Do you happen to have a picture of Weymouth?

9. TimelessRider

TimelessRider Senior member

As an addition to your list of adelaides, I'd propose EG's Weymouth (u-cap).
    Thanks. I learn something new every day. Do you happen to have a picture of Weymouth?
    LookingtoImprove posted pics of his lovely EG Weymouths here.

10. jcusey

Thanks, TR.

LtI, you're right. That would make a heck of a spectator. I dare say that you'd be the only one on your block with that.

11. Looking to improve

Looking to improve Senior member

Or... what happens when one doesn't expect others to actually read what one posts [​IMG] [​IMG]
    How good is that magnifying glass of yours... I can hardly distinguish the things you described on the EG foldout-catalogue I have [​IMG] . But thank you anyway. Your description does get me further.
    TR, thank you for providing the link... But jcusey missing a post on shoes? [​IMG] .
    Well... I'm not sure if I'd ever be able to summon enough courage to try spectators... But these ones will fit the bill if I ever do. I just have to figure out how I can twist Tony's arm enough to use white suede rather than the white calf... In any event, these 'regular' Weymouths are the only ones on the block [​IMG] . Again, thanks for the comparison. MtB

12. Nick M

Nick M Senior member

Forgot about Jun Kuwana's Cleverley specs. [​IMG] Swish. Although they might be a little too chiselled for some.

13. arenn1

arenn1 Well-Known Member

Does anyone actually make a decent looking brown/white spectator for under Edward Green money? The AE Broadstreet would be perfect for my needs, but is I believe only available in black/white. Otherwise, the least expensive shoe anyone has mentioned on this thread is the $575 CJ from Ben Silver.

14. jcusey

Brooks Brothers has a Alfred Sargent-made dark brown-and-white suede (or nubuck) spectator this season for $378. Alas, it's not on the website, but it'll probably be on sale by July or August. You could do a special order from a maker like Martegani for a price somewhere in the $400s.

15. Duveen

Duveen Senior member

The Alfred Sargent Melly can be found at Pediwear for about 79 pounds w/o VAT + 20 pounds shipping - according to xe.com, that's about $185. They say 'Ebony/Ivory', but I think the photo looks like dark brown rather than black. I would guess that the Melly - possibly with nicer leather - is what Brooks Brothers is selling under their peal label as a spectator. Alternately, you could do what I am thinking of doing and give $300-400 to Ron Rider to specify a Martegani version of the spectator.

16. NoVaguy

NoVaguy Senior member

I'm fairly certain you're right about Ebony being brown - as AS also has a near-identical black and white spectator. Compare the one below with the Melly above: Alfred Sargent George

17. sashae

sashae Senior member

Wow. Those are BRILLIANT. I love spectators... I suppose that's just the kinda guy I am [​IMG] -s

18. Horace

Horace Senior member

I believe that AE will has made (or will custom make) a brown/white spectator. There was a topic on this on the board FedoraLounge a while back.

19. Nick M

Nick M Senior member

This is true - I enquired a while back. Costs an additional $100.

20. Bic Pentameter

Bic Pentameter Senior member

I have the Melly and I can confirm that it is dark brown with an ivory/eggshell white. Unfortunately, both the brown and the ivory/eggshell white appear to be corrected grain leather, and neither of them has the depth or richness of C&J or EG skins. Bic