Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

I want spectator shoes

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by zjpj83, Mar 19, 2005.

1. Looking to improve

Looking to improve Senior member

Or... what happens when one doesn't expect others to actually read what one posts [​IMG] [​IMG]
    How good is that magnifying glass of yours... I can hardly distinguish the things you described on the EG foldout-catalogue I have [​IMG] . But thank you anyway. Your description does get me further.
    TR, thank you for providing the link... But jcusey missing a post on shoes? [​IMG] .
    Well... I'm not sure if I'd ever be able to summon enough courage to try spectators... But these ones will fit the bill if I ever do. I just have to figure out how I can twist Tony's arm enough to use white suede rather than the white calf... In any event, these 'regular' Weymouths are the only ones on the block [​IMG] . Again, thanks for the comparison. MtB

2. Nick M

Nick M Senior member

Forgot about Jun Kuwana's Cleverley specs. [​IMG] Swish. Although they might be a little too chiselled for some.

3. arenn1

arenn1 Well-Known Member

Does anyone actually make a decent looking brown/white spectator for under Edward Green money? The AE Broadstreet would be perfect for my needs, but is I believe only available in black/white. Otherwise, the least expensive shoe anyone has mentioned on this thread is the $575 CJ from Ben Silver.

4. jcusey

jcusey Senior member Dubiously Honored

Brooks Brothers has a Alfred Sargent-made dark brown-and-white suede (or nubuck) spectator this season for $378. Alas, it's not on the website, but it'll probably be on sale by July or August. You could do a special order from a maker like Martegani for a price somewhere in the $400s.

5. Duveen

Duveen Senior member

The Alfred Sargent Melly can be found at Pediwear for about 79 pounds w/o VAT + 20 pounds shipping - according to xe.com, that's about $185. They say 'Ebony/Ivory', but I think the photo looks like dark brown rather than black. I would guess that the Melly - possibly with nicer leather - is what Brooks Brothers is selling under their peal label as a spectator. Alternately, you could do what I am thinking of doing and give $300-400 to Ron Rider to specify a Martegani version of the spectator.

6. NoVaguy

NoVaguy Senior member

I'm fairly certain you're right about Ebony being brown - as AS also has a near-identical black and white spectator. Compare the one below with the Melly above: Alfred Sargent George

7. sashae

sashae Senior member

Wow. Those are BRILLIANT. I love spectators... I suppose that's just the kinda guy I am [​IMG] -s

8. Horace

Horace Senior member

I believe that AE will has made (or will custom make) a brown/white spectator. There was a topic on this on the board FedoraLounge a while back.

9. Nick M

Nick M Senior member

This is true - I enquired a while back. Costs an additional $100.

10. Bic Pentameter

Bic Pentameter Senior member

I have the Melly and I can confirm that it is dark brown with an ivory/eggshell white. Unfortunately, both the brown and the ivory/eggshell white appear to be corrected grain leather, and neither of them has the depth or richness of C&J or EG skins. Bic

11. arenn1

arenn1 Well-Known Member

Thanks for the info. AE shoes at a list of $300 is pushing it in terms of value, and paying an extra $100 special order fee on top makes it seem questionable. The Brooks Brothers idea might be the best one. I don't own any Alfred Sargent. How do they compare to AE?

12. whnay.

whnay. Senior member Dubiously Honored

I'm with you zj, I just can't see the beauty in the budapest last. Although I must admit the workmanship is fantastic.

If I had to vote on just the selections offered during this discussion I'd definately pull for the Cleverley's.

13. AlanC

AlanC Minister of Trad

Saw the perfect specs today on a visit to Plain Clothes, a tan and white buc u-throat made by Alden. Apparently Plain Clothes had them made specially for them. If I recall correctly the price was $450. They were stunning shoes.

14. Duveen

Duveen Senior member

What is "Plain Clothes" and where is it located?

15. AlanC

AlanC Minister of Trad

Plain Clothes is a first rate clothing store in the Homewood area of Birmingham, Alabama:

Plain Clothes
    (205) 871-3391
    2820 Linden Ave
    Birmingham, AL 35209

The owner's name is Steve Fazio. He has superb taste and has always treated me very kindly although I've never purchased a thing from him. You can buy Nicky and Holliday & Brown ties to Thurston braces to antique cuff links. If I could afford the place, I'd give them lots of money.