• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

I have a jean...(The Ultimate Jean Thread For Beginners) - ask questions here.

skander

Reaction score
Questions about hemming:

Is paying for chain stitching completey an aesthetic thing?

If I don't want to go to one of the few shops that chain stitch, can selvage jeans be taken to any old tailor for hemming without any consequences other than shorter length?

boxdiver

Reaction score
General style question on getting the bottoms hemmed:

1) Where should the bottom of your jeans hit in regards to your foot/shoe?
2) How much should you end up spending per pair of pants? $15?

RFX45

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by PaulYAY
If you can button up without having to muscle them a bit, I think you should size down one if possible. You can always break in jeans at home if they're too tight, which is a better option for keeping the fit slim IMO. The 17cm was a nice selection. Are you planning on doing a chain-stitch hem? I think a lot of people get carried away with stacking on Diors. It would be better to go with a similar inseam that you're used to or maybe up to 1.5" longer to accomidate the narrow calves. It just looks cleaner and creates a better interface with the shoes IMO. end of rambling/

To be honest, I don't think the stacking looks too severe on mine. Once it stretches a bit and I can sag a little, the stacking might look too much but at the moment I think it looks just fine. I might get it hemmed by just about an inch of two max, I still feel the appeal of Diors are the stacks so I want to keep some of that.

As some pointed out to me, these are actually 19cm, it just measures 17cm in the size 28 I got. I am giving this one a try for now and some said that if it isn't too tight that it won't stretch as much so hopefully that were the case here. No struggle with closing or buttoning them up, so if these turned out to stretch too much then the next one I will be sizing down. I actually order a black pair as well, although the size 28 on that measured 18cm instead of the 17cm in the one I have so hopefully it was a 21cm.

PaulYAY

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^for sure. Honestly, I really dug the fact that you were so loyal to Levis 511 especially considering the shoe pairings. It really highlights the fact that you're such a shoe enthusiast, as the 511s really give the shoes the full attention they deserve. haha

Originally Posted by skander
Questions about hemming:

Is paying for chain stitching completey an aesthetic thing?

If I don't want to go to one of the few shops that chain stitch, can selvage jeans be taken to any old tailor for hemming without any consequences other than shorter length?

What chain stitching offers is the roping effect on the bottom hem that comes standard on nearly all jeans (as far as I know). It's just a different look without it. Another issue that I've had though in taking jeans to a random tailor for hemming is having them mismatch the thread color in a bad way.

Chain stitching is pretty expensive, especially for people who can't visit the business in person and have to pay 2 way shipping on top of a $20-$25 hem. But having had a few bad experiences with 'regular' tailoring, and considering how much I spend on my average pair of jeans, it's usually worth it to me.

poissa

Reaction score
I've been wearing a pair of APC unhemmed for several years now. Last weekend I wore them with dress shoes. Low and behold there is polish on the jeans. The jeans are going to be hemmed. Do tailor keep the original cuff in tact when the jeans are in new condition? I.e. are my jeans going to look marsupialed given I've lost the bottom portion of the jean due to polish? Is there any recourse so my jeans would look like an original pair =\\

PaulYAY

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Glueeater
I imagine like 511s with a bootcut...

The RRL Slim cut is identical to 511.

I've found the RRL Slim cut to be much slimmer based on the two having the same waist measurement. That being said, I wear a 29 in RRL and 32 in Levis. Both measure 32.

laughter95

Reaction score
Can't search this since the search terms are too short, so sorry if this has been answered many times before.

I just bought a pair of PBJ xx-007. They're a slim-straight jean. Will this fit my aesthetic if I normally wear slim-fitting clothes like epaulet shirts? Or do you think there is a better jean which offers a sleeker look? I do wish the jean came tapered.

I also have a pair of Sam 710 and FC 1108 if that's relevant.

PaulYAY

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by laughter95
Can't search this since the search terms are too short, so sorry if this has been answered many times before.

I just bought a pair of PBJ xx-007. They're a slim-straight jean. Will this fit my aesthetic if I normally wear slim-fitting clothes like epaulet shirts? Or do you think there is a better jean which offers a sleeker look? I do wish the jean came tapered.

I also have a pair of Sam 710 and FC 1108 if that's relevant.

The Japanese brand slim-straights usually aren't very slim tbh. This spring I bought the Sugarcane 2009 Fitted which was considered a slim straight but is actually pretty loose by my standards (and I'd think for a lot of SF as well). As far as tapered denim goes, I bought a pair of Triple Works denim that Blue Owl Workshop carries that I'm really excited to wear once it starts cooling down a little bit. They have the best tapered fit that I've found yet and the denim is incredible.

Can anyone recommend some other tapered leg jeans?

KitAkira

Wait! Wait! I gots an opinion!
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
The Japanese brand slim-straights usually aren't very slim tbh. This spring I bought the Sugarcane 2009 Fitted which was considered a slim straight but is actually pretty loose by my standards (and I'd think for a lot of SF as well). As far as tapered denim goes, I bought a pair of Triple Works denim that Blue Owl Workshop carries that I'm really excited to wear once it starts cooling down a little bit. They have the best tapered fit that I've found yet and the denim is incredible. Can anyone recommend some other tapered leg jeans?
You don't know what you're talking about. Try on a pair of PBJs (even the fuller cut ones) and tell me that they aren't slim Repro brands are obviously going to be fuller cut since they're reproducing fuller cut jeans. Sugarcane didn't have a real slim fit until the Self Edge collab

laughter95

Reaction score
ah yea... last i tried the pbj 007s were last year at take5, the thighs were pretty tight. i guess my real question was: Are PBJ xx-007s SF-approved?

laughter95

Reaction score
Can anyone recommend some other tapered leg jeans?

pbj
xx-013, xx-011 - both same fit

sam 710

sda 103

some momotaro model

practically all the osaka 5 have at least 1 slim straight taper.

PaulYAY

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by KitAkira
You don't know what you're talking about. Try on a pair of PBJs (even the fuller cut ones) and tell me that they aren't slim

Repro brands are obviously going to be fuller cut since they're reproducing fuller cut jeans. Sugarcane didn't have a real slim fit until the Self Edge collab

this is the jean I was talking about and that I own. I wouldn't call it slim at all. And when I say tapered leg I'm referring to more extreme tapers than what is called Slim Straight. BTW, Triple Works is a Japanese brand so I obviously wasn't making a generalization about all Japanese brands, only what is marketed by Self Edge as Slim Straight.

We're obviously talking apples and oranges if you call anything by Sugarcane 'slim' .

mikecch

Reaction score
Originally Posted by KitAkira
You don't know what you're talking about. Try on a pair of PBJs (even the fuller cut ones) and tell me that they aren't slim

Repro brands are obviously going to be fuller cut since they're reproducing fuller cut jeans. Sugarcane didn't have a real slim fit until the Self Edge collab

+1 for truth, but SC had the little known Mihara Yasuhiro collab. in 2005, a slim bootcut.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 96 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.0%

Forum statistics

Threads