• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

I have a jean...(The Ultimate Jean Thread For Beginners) - ask questions here.

asdf

Reaction score
Originally Posted by blynch
Skull 5507XX
plenty of inseem, strong taper, and room up top with a lower rise than most repros.

Okay, I should have added that price is a strong consideration also
smile.gif

So, Hoyt or Big Bengt? Or something else sub-150?

theom-

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by asdf
Okay, I should have added that price is a strong consideration also
smile.gif

So, Hoyt or Big Bengt? Or something else sub-150?

Skull 5507s do not have room up top. The hip cut very boxy and very tight so anyone with an ass should not get these. The thighs are not tight, and the tight hip makes up for whatever looseness the thigh has.

I'd say go for the Hoyt. Or you can take a look at Kicking Mule Workshop 1950, I've seen a bunch of pairs on B&S for sub $200.

pdsf

Reaction score
I am going crazy. I recently bought a pair of NDG non-selvedge jeans. I did not size down. I thought I'd wash them once, in cold water, to shrink so I could get them hemmed. Guess what, now they are too tight for me (waist, but more so in the legs)! I am wondering if they'd stretch some? I am wearing them in the house right now... All this stretching and shrinking business is driving me nuts!
angry.gif
How do we even know for sure how a pair of jeans would turn out given such variability between fabrics.... I never know what to do... Okay, enough venting...

scb

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
gave the kmw 1950s their first wash yesterday...I had forgotten how much they stretched out since I got them.

also picked up some iron heart 634s last night. should I soak?

mlyngard

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mjo317
i have a pair of jeans i want to chainstitch. can i just mail them to BiG or Self Edge? how does that work?

Yep. Include a letter stating desired inseam length and provide your CC# so they can charge fee and return shipping.

Originally Posted by tigerFormula
Skull 5507s do not have room up top. The hip cut very boxy and very tight so anyone with an ass should not get these. The thighs are not tight, and the tight hip makes up for whatever looseness the thigh has.

Agreed 100%

Originally Posted by pdsf
How do we even know for sure how a pair of jeans would turn out given such variability between fabrics.... I never know what to do... Okay, enough venting...

This is why denim forums exist. It's a complex learning curve.

Originally Posted by scb

also picked up some iron heart 634s last night. should I soak?

Always, always, always.

1up

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm still rocking APC Rescues, bit too baggy for my taste though. What should my next pair of raw be?

I've done Nudies RRDG and RRDS..

APC NS? Ironhearts? Dior's?

IIIrd Icon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by aj_del
How are the SDA 101 Regular straight and SP 006 (30th Anniversary) fit wise in comparison to say APC NS. Is there a dedicated SDA thread here where more info can be gathered ?

The other jeans I have tried for reference are

1. Flathead 1001 34W - too tight in the thigh and too low rise (though it shouldn't be so low rise as per SE)
2. Eternal 34 W - too much space in the top block and a bit roomy in the thigh
3. Momotaro 0705 34W - half inch tight in the waist and thigh

Thanks for your replies.

check for fit pix & sizing of the SD 101, as well as some brands you might take a shine to:

http://www.styleforum.net/showthread...=163400&page=2

or click on tumblr sig below.

TheJer

Reaction score
Ok, I'm still new to pretty much everything going on here, but I'm eager to learn. So I'm looking at buying my first pair of raw jeans and going through the process with them. Not looking to spend too much, as I'm a college student and such so I came across these from Urban Outfitters that are in my price range. Since I've never had any raw denim before, I've been reading up on it quite a bit and the whole concept of getting personalized fades and such sounds like a very cool process to see happen first hand. I'm wondering how fast the color will fade though? I've seen some peoples jeans that started out pretty nice and were very light by the time they posted the picture; I've got plenty of dark jeans and am looking for a nice lighter pair, is it a long process to lighten them?

Anyways, any advice or pointers would be appreciated(on the process or a different pair to buy). Oh, and I'm 6'4, 195 and a pretty athletic build (huge calves also) so slim straight is the best fit I've found so far; haven't tried on tapered jeans, but the ss hug my calves pretty tight, so I doubt I could fit into anything skinnier.

pdsf

Reaction score
Originally Posted by grundletaint
how'd they fit before the wash? are they raw? they should stretch back out with wear

They fit just right before the wash. They are not raw.

bassmanpatsfan18

Reaction score
Do any of you guys have experience with the Dior jeans that are something like 68% cotton, 30% polyester, etc? How do they feel compared to the regular ones made mostly of cotton?

grundletaint

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by pdsf
They fit just right before the wash. They are not raw.

they should stretch back out to what they were before the wash. the inseam will stay shorter unless you pull it back out.

jamays00

Reaction score
I am a 28 in APC NS, 29 in N&F Weirdguys, 31 in Levis 511... whats size Dior 19cms would i go for? 30?

blake347

Reaction score
Hi,

I've been searching for a pair of good fitting jeans for a REALLY long time but still can't find one :/ I usually wear 28x30, but the problem is that my legs are pretty skinny and even the "slim boot" ones from like hollister are still too loose. Do you guys have any recommendations for the best fitting jeans with my body type? Thanks.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads