1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

I have a jean...(The Ultimate Jean Thread For Beginners) - ask questions here.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by whodini, Jan 28, 2008.

1. Eccentric

Eccentric Senior member

I'm kinda stumped on a new pair of jeans. I want to try something straight leg, raw and slubby, but most of the options in that department seem a little on the slim side. I don't have monster thighs, but I do enough lifting for thigh room to be a consideration. I was thinking something with 12" thighs with a 32.5" waist and a 8-8.5" leg opening might do the trick, but again, I'm kinda stumped on brands/models. I have a pair of Nudie Average Joes in size 29, but they seem painted on these days. If anyone has any suggestions, I would really appreciate it.

2. El Argentino

El Argentino Senior member

I'm kinda stumped on a new pair of jeans. I want to try something straight leg, raw and slubby, but most of the options in that department seem a little on the slim side. I don't have monster thighs, but I do enough lifting for thigh room to be a consideration. I was thinking something with 12" thighs with a 32.5" waist and a 8-8.5" leg opening might do the trick, but again, I'm kinda stumped on brands/models. I have a pair of Nudie Average Joes in size 29, but they seem painted on these days. If anyone has any suggestions, I would really appreciate it.

pbj xx003 or xx009.

Oni Blue cut

come to mind immediately. blueingreensoho.com

3. whatever123

whatever123 Senior member

So, more or less, if I narrow down what size I should be via SelfEdge's measurements, it should translate across and I can buy the corresponding size from Japan expecting the same thing? Or will there be "japanese sizing" vs. "american sizing"?
    i think se measures differently from rakuten. compare how the two measure.

4. commodorewheeler

commodorewheeler Senior member

So, more or less, if I narrow down what size I should be via SelfEdge's measurements, it should translate across and I can buy the corresponding size from Japan expecting the same thing? Or will there be "japanese sizing" vs. "american sizing"?

The jeans will be the same dimensions for any given tag size whether you buy them here or in Japan, so what you are proposing should work great.

Along with Oni and PBJ's looser models, I would look at Samurai. Their denim tends to be slubby, and their cuts tend not to be slim.

5. newest neophyte

newest neophyte Member

Would anyone like to take a crack at this? Thanks!

I have tried the Levi 514 jeans, but I am uncomfortable with the 9 3/4" rise, which is too short for me.

Because I don't like the button fly on the 501s, I have begun to look at the 505s. Do you like any of the styles here?
    http://us.levi.com/family/index.jsp?...146842.3146854

If it matters, I am 6'1"/155 lbs and wear a 32/32 or 33/32.

Thanks a lot, guys.

6. Eccentric

Eccentric Senior member

pbj xx003 or xx009.

Oni Blue cut

come to mind immediately. blueingreensoho.com

Along with Oni and PBJ's looser models, I would look at Samurai. Their denim tends to be slubby, and their cuts tend not to be slim.

Thanks, these are just the sort of cuts I was looking for!

7. porschemad911

porschemad911 Senior member

Jean retard here ... So, I decided to try Levi's 514s and say that I probably like them better, but I'm unsure of what size I should go for. 32x30 seems loose, but 30x30 tight (can't ever find 31x30). Any advice as to whether the 30x30's are too tight? I've attached some pictures....it's pretty obvious which are which. Also, please excuse the low quality pictures and old, ratty kicks.

Definitely go for the 30 ... they look fine, and both my pairs of 514 have stretched a fair bit.

8. porschemad911

Looking for a black (like pure black not washed) with similar fit to apc new standards...

Any ideas?

http://www.contextclothing.com/item.php?id=701 ... I guess you've already considered these, anything putting you off?

9. porschemad911

I have tried the Levi 514 jeans, but I am uncomfortable with the 9 3/4" rise, which is too short for me.

Because I don't like the button fly on the 501s, I have begun to look at the 505s. Do you like any of the styles here?
    http://us.levi.com/family/index.jsp?...146842.3146854

If it matters, I am 6'1"/155 lbs and wear a 32/32 or 33/32.

Thanks a lot, guys.

Of all the styles on that page, I'd probably go for this one (Style #00505): http://us.levi.com/product/index.jsp...146854.3691981

But the fit doesn't look that good to me, not too keen on slouched high rise with straight leg. That's just my personal taste though. How do you want to wear them? At your waist? Or lower on the hips?

10. newest neophyte

newest neophyte Member

Of all the styles on that page, I'd probably go for this one (Style #00505): http://us.levi.com/product/index.jsp...146854.3691981 But the fit doesn't look that good to me, not too keen on slouched high rise with straight leg. That's just my personal taste though. How do you want to wear them? At your waist? Or lower on the hips?
    Thanks! I agree that those aren't perfect, but they probably aren't a bad place to start. I'd prefer to wear them closer to my waist. The 514s were barely on my hips, but if the rise were an inch higher (like on the 505s), they would have been great. Also, you mentioned above that your 514s stretched a bit. Are the 505s also likely to stretch rather than shrink? If so, I'll get the 32 (which is just a bit tight on me) rather than the 33 (which is a bit loose).

11. Knisse

Knisse Senior member

I am pretty sure that Diors are sanforized, if i buy a pair that has already been soaked once (for some strange) reason - will they shrink anymore or what is the deal? or should i just 100% stay clear of soaked Diors, as they will get worse fades etc.

12. david123

david123 Senior member

I have been wearing a pair of APC NS size 30 jeans this fall and winter. I love how they fit now in the seat and thighs, but I find them too tapered in the leg for my liking. I measured my other jeans that I like and they're about 8 1/8" in the leg opening. Is there something else that fits similar to the thigh and seat to the APC NS but is a little bigger in the leg? Ideally for no more than $200?

13. whatever123

whatever123 Senior member

14. commodorewheeler

commodorewheeler Senior member

I am pretty sure that Diors are sanforized, if i buy a pair that has already been soaked once (for some strange) reason - will they shrink anymore or what is the deal? or should i just 100% stay clear of soaked Diors, as they will get worse fades etc.

Because Diors are sanforized (pre-shrunk), they won't really shrink whether they've already been soaked or not.

15. Knisse

Knisse Senior member

Because Diors are sanforized (pre-shrunk), they won't really shrink whether they've already been soaked or not.

Thanks. How about the fades, i reckon the shade of blue was some kind worse than non-soaked Diors so i went with another pair, but just in case i stumble on another, should i buy if the price is right, or will they get worse fades?

16. VLSI

VLSI Senior member

So I just bought my first pair of nice jeans, nudie slacker jacks, and I'm trying to figure out if the waist sizing is alright. The waist fits snug, feels about perfect, right out of the bag. I have a few pairs of Levi 514s in the same size (33x32) and they fit snug at first too then seemed to have all stretched some after wearing and I washed/dryed them to try to shrink them back but they are still just a little loose -- ~.5". Am I going to experience the same thing down the road with these jeans or should I try sizing down? I'm hesitant to size down because they already look like they're too small for me (pic below for reference, sorry that it's super awkward), so I don't know what to do. Thanks! [​IMG] http://img192.imageshack.us/img192/4072/imag0037zi.jpg Link to picture because of imageshack...

17. Khayembii Communique

Khayembii Communique Senior member

How's the fit on these RRL's? Cuffing this too much?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

18. Hollywars

Hollywars Senior member

I think it looks a little weird on your right leg for some reason.

19. Khayembii Communique

Khayembii Communique Senior member

I think I'm just stacking it really shitty

20. Nopike343

Nopike343 Senior member

I think I'm just stacking it really shitty

Good stacking takes some wear. The cuff is too large. Those would probably look better without cuffs.