1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

I have a jean...(The Ultimate Jean Thread For Beginners) - ask questions here.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by whodini, Jan 28, 2008.

1. BuffaloWang

BuffaloWang Senior member

I definitely know that $100 is considered nothing. Not sure if I can blow $200 on jeans yet. What would you guys recommend for now then? Just stick with some Levis until I got around $200?

What should I do now in the meantime? I don't know too much about jeans.
    Like whatever said I should learn familiarize with some stuff. Like what :p. Now I know upper thigh fit.

Are there any teen wardrobe stuff? Haven't gotten new clothes in awhile, but I took a look around and it's all suits. Haven't seen any HS wearable stuff.

2. mikecch

mikecch Senior member

I definitely know that $100 is considered nothing. Not sure if I can blow $200 on jeans yet. What would you guys recommend for now then? Just stick with some Levis until I got around $200? What should I do now in the meantime? I don't know too much about jeans. Like whatever said I should learn familiarize with some stuff. Like what :p. Now I know upper thigh fit.
    I'd stick with Levi's till the $$$ comes in. In the mean time read up, and ask, about what makes a good pair of jeans "good" (other than the fit, obviously). Learn about the fabrics, the dye, the construction, the trusted brands and the peculiarities/specialities of each. Have a look here and on other forums/blogs for informative posts and pics. Figure out what it is you look for or desire in a pair of jeans. That should keep you occupied for a while. And get a part time job [​IMG] Once you have $200 to spend, I'd recommend getting a pair of Sugar Cane 1947 from Japan - that's a fairly standard gateway jean to the higher end Japanese makes.

3. Astronaut888

Astronaut888 Senior member

I definitely know that $100 is considered nothing. Not sure if I can blow $200 on jeans yet. What would you guys recommend for now then? Just stick with some Levis until I got around $200?

What should I do now in the meantime? I don't know too much about jeans.
    Like whatever said I should learn familiarize with some stuff. Like what :p. Now I know upper thigh fit.

Are there any teen wardrobe stuff? Haven't gotten new clothes in awhile, but I took a look around and it's all suits. Haven't seen any HS wearable stuff.

Unbranded?

4. Nopike343

Nopike343 Senior member

Well....can't seem to get rid of my KMW 1980s on the B&S forum.
    Oh well....
    Gonna pull the trigger on some new denim and have narrowed it down to 2. Looking for opinions from those in the know

Looking at the PBJ 007s or 005s (kind of sketchy w/ the unsanforized)
    Or.. the Sugar Cane 2009

May just say F it and go for some New Standards to keep it simple.

Any opinions greatly appreciated.

Namaste!

At 12 oz the Sugar Cane 2009 is a good choice for the warmer weather. They are a good fitting slim cut jean. I have a pair and would suggest going TTS on them. I would get them before the NS.

Good deal if you order off Rakuten.
    http://search.borderless.rakuten.com...ne+type+2+2009

5. gpw11

gpw11 Member

Jean retard here. For years I was rocking carpenter jeans like it was the early 90's. Then I moved onto Levi's 505's....which were better but something about the cut has started to bug me (a little too roomy in the ass, bit too baggy for the taper, smaller hem opening - it all combines into something that doesn't suit me so well). I'm about 5'7" and just over 160 lbs and don't think 505s are made for me. I tried them in both 32x30 and 30x30 and both look a bit...off to me now.

So, I decided to try Levi's 514s and say that I probably like them better, but I'm unsure of what size I should go for. 32x30 seems loose, but 30x30 tight (can't ever find 31x30). Any advice as to whether the 30x30's are too tight? I've attached some pictures....it's pretty obvious which are which. Also, please excuse the low quality pictures and old, ratty kicks.

I hope to pick a couple of pairs up in the best size tomorrow and any advice would be greatly appreciated.

http://imgur.com/a/xX9xS/all

32x30:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

30x30:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

What doesn't seem to really come through in the pictures is that the 32x30's seem to stack very sloppy...which would probably require hemming.

6. El Argentino

El Argentino Senior member

005s. i havent seen a decent pair of those in a while.

the 007s are becoming to common of late.

Common amongst the board perhaps - still super unique in the real world.

Don't be slammin' my babies.

7. phxlawstudent

phxlawstudent Senior member

Any suggestions for cheap 9 oz or lighter denim?

8. commodorewheeler

commodorewheeler Senior member

Hiya everyone! I'm new to the forums and denims too basically. Before I used to just hit it off with any Levi's that fit and good to go.

Still in HS and prob will continue to grow so want some cheaper raw selvedges. They don't even need to be selvedge, something that looks nice and works well with all shoes (basketball, low's, mid's, high's, almost everything).

Dunno the format to post to help you guys help me, but let me know.
    Budget around $100? Too low? [​IMG]

The two best brands that I can think of for raw selvage in your price range are Gap and Unbranded. Between the two, if you want heavier denim, go with Unbranded. If you want better overall construction quality, go with Gap.

9. Astronaut888

At 12 oz the Sugar Cane 2009 is a good choice for the warmer weather. They are a good fitting slim cut jean. I have a pair and would suggest going TTS on them. I would get them before the NS.

Good deal if you order off Rakuten.
    http://search.borderless.rakuten.com...ne+type+2+2009

Hey, thanks for the link!
    Never heard of Rakuten?!?!

Just took a quick look at the site....guess I am ordering these from Japan directly?
    Price looks good when compared w/ SelfEdge... almost too good to be true.

Will have to search the boards for info on this....do you have direct experience ordering from here?

10. commodorewheeler

Hey, thanks for the link! Never heard of Rakuten?!?! Just took a quick look at the site....guess I am ordering these from Japan directly? Price looks good when compared w/ SelfEdge... almost too good to be true. Will have to search the boards for info on this....do you have direct experience ordering from here?
    Yes, when you order from Rakuten, you are ordering directly from Japan. The price for Sugar Canes directly from Japan is much better than from retailers here, because Toyo (Sugar Cane's parent company) charges a lot more for their export market than they do domestically. I have ordered from Rakuten at least 20 times, and I can say that it is very reliable in terms of them getting you the correct ordered product in a reasonable amount of time (1-2 weeks). The one thing that is restrictive about them is that their stores generally do not accept returns or exchanges for international orders, so make sure you get your sizing right.

11. Astronaut888

Yes, when you order from Rakuten, you are ordering directly from Japan. The price for Sugar Canes directly from Japan is much better than from retailers here, because Toyo (Sugar Cane's parent company) charges a lot more for their export market than they do domestically. I have ordered from Rakuten at least 20 times, and I can say that it is very reliable in terms of them getting you the correct ordered product in a reasonable amount of time (1-2 weeks). The one thing that is restrictive about them is that their stores generally do not accept returns or exchanges for international orders, so make sure you get your sizing right.
    Thanks for the response. Seems the SC2009 is the same as offered on the SelfEdge site For half the price, shipping included. Dunno why I wouldn't order from Rakuten, aside from return - which is a biggie.....but for half the price! I may be willing to risk it. Also, I'm tempted to order from Rakuten just b/c reading the Japanese to English description of the product is freaking priceless.....my head hurts from trying to figure out what the hell they are talking about!

12. Nopike343

Nopike343 Senior member

Hey, thanks for the link!
    Never heard of Rakuten?!?!

Just took a quick look at the site....guess I am ordering these from Japan directly?
    Price looks good when compared w/ SelfEdge... almost too good to be true.

Will have to search the boards for info on this....do you have direct experience ordering from here?

Yes direct from Japan. I've ordered from two different stores and the service is excellent. They will ship by post office EMS in a couple of days after your payment clears. If you order this weekend you may have them by next Saturday. I even did a exchange with one store but postage is expensive.

13. El Argentino

This is amazing - I can't believe I've never heard of this site. The Strike Golds I've been looking at on SE are almost $100 less on Rakuten. So, this place is legit? No catch? Just make sure your sizing is right = saving money?

14. Astronaut888

This is amazing - I can't believe I've never heard of this site. The Strike Golds I've been looking at on SE are almost $100 less on Rakuten. So, this place is legit? No catch? Just make sure your sizing is right = saving money?

I just went for some SC2009s from Rakuten
    I'll keep you posted on my experience......fingers crossed.
    Ordered my Seiko from Japan w/ not problems.....so.......we'll see!

15. Nopike343

Nopike343 Senior member

Japanese companies are know for their quaility and great customer service. Think Toyota or Honda. They process your order quickly and the communication is prompt. Sometimes a language issue but the can be worked around without too many problems.

16. commodorewheeler

Rakuten is legit, there only two catches. One is fairly obvious, and that is that you will have to pay higher shipping costs than buying domestically, because the product is being shipped overseas to you. Plus there are usually currency conversion charges imposed by your CC or PayPal (PayPal is sneaky about how they do it, they give you worse-than-market exchange rates).

The other is that sometimes you will have to pay import duties on what you order from there. According to US customs law, shipments in excess of $200 containing textile-based products are subject to customs fees up to 16% of the declared value of the item. In most cases, you will not be charged these duties, because most Rakuten stores use EMS to ship, and for some reason, EMS shipments never seem to incur duties (this is a good thing for us consumers). However, if the Rakuten store you are dealing with does not use EMS, then you are likely to incur duties if the package you are ordering is worth over $200, unless you can convince the Rakuten store you are dealing with to lower the declared value of the package on the customs form.

17. whatever123

whatever123 Senior member

Common amongst the board perhaps - still super unique in the real world. Don't be slammin' my babies.
    nope, never. in fact, i have a pair of 007s although i never wear them. i just miss seeing evo pics of the 005 denim ... it looks so cool after a year or wear. edit: i am selling my fullcount-1108s size 33 for cheapo! they will be up on b/s in a few ...

18. El Argentino

On Rakuten, does anyone know why the Strike Gold slim straight and slim tapered fits measure significantly larger (almost 10cm in the waist) than the straight/relaxed equivalents in the same measured waist size? Am I missing some information from the googletranslate read?

For reference:

19. commodorewheeler

On Rakuten, does anyone know why the Strike Gold slim straight and slim tapered fits measure significantly larger (almost 10cm in the waist) than the straight/relaxed equivalents in the same measured waist size? Am I missing some information from the googletranslate read?

For reference:

It could be that the slimmer cuts have a lower rise, so the jeans sit lower on the hips and have to have a larger waist measurement to fit properly within a certain tag size. It could also be that the measurements are just wrong, I've seen that happen on Rakuten sites a fair amount.

20. El Argentino

So, more or less, if I narrow down what size I should be via SelfEdge's measurements, it should translate across and I can buy the corresponding size from Japan expecting the same thing? Or will there be "japanese sizing" vs. "american sizing"?