• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

I have a jean...(The Ultimate Jean Thread For Beginners) - ask questions here.

Caveat

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What is a good tapered leg jean for someone who is used to straight leg jeans and doesn't want anything skin tight. I am looking for something that has the top block of a typical slim/straight jean (Somet 003, Flat Head 310) but won't look sloppy with slim shoes.

Would it be a good idea to get a pair of Somet 003s, which I love, and have them tapered?

whodini

Conan OOOOOOO"BRIEN!
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Caveat
What is a good tapered leg jean for someone who is used to straight leg jeans and doesn't want anything skin tight. I am looking for something that has the top block of a typical slim/straight jean (Somet 003, Flat Head 310) but won't look sloppy with slim shoes.

Would it be a good idea to get a pair of Somet 003s, which I love, and have them tapered?

Makes sense. Otherwise, you're talking about a carrot fit.

ysb

Reaction score

aren't the somet 008's essentially 003's but tapered? I know there's the thigh dart and all...

Caveat

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ysb
aren't the somet 008's essentially 003's but tapered? I know there's the thigh dart and all...

The size 32 008s are 1.5" bigger in the waist, but have a smaller front rise and thigh. It's that kind of cramped top block I'm trying to avoid, while still being able to wear slim cut shoes.

Kung-Paow

Reaction score
So I recently bought my first pair of raw denim (Denham Selvedge). Still not sure about the jeans, is the fit any good?
eh.gif

SSL11821.jpg

SSL118283.jpg

lovelux2010

Reaction score
to the above..i'm not expert but those looks really really tight. you should show us a shot with the upper body and the lower body, otherwise hard to see how the proportions work..but if you have fairly broad shoulders then those jeans are way too tight IMO..

question for the forum...what temp should i wash my jeans to ensure i get them shrunk fully? 60? 80?..help! i need to get these bad boys hemmed tired of waiting

thanks

SirGrotius

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Kung-Paow
So I recently bought my first pair of raw denim (Denham Selvedge). Still not sure about the jeans, is the fit any good?
eh.gif

SSL11821.jpg

SSL118283.jpg

Thighs are way too tight. Someone around here should be able to recommend a raw denim better for "muscular" guys (as opposed to skinny).

anymajordude

Reaction score
Anyone up in here have experience w/ Fullcount?

I can't decide between size 33 or 34 in the 1101.

I wear a size 34 in Levi's, which measure 35" after wear.

I don't want them to be too tight or too loose, I just want some good-fitting jeans.

Thanks!!

lovelux2010

Reaction score
They are. Don't wash them initially.

i have'nt washed them, but i've worn them around 50 times or so and would like to clean them..
so just wondering if i should
a) cold soak
b) hot soak
c) machine wash hot
d) machine wash cold

i'm reading through all these denim threads but it seems difficult to find any kind of simple answer..! i want to get them hemmed as they are way too long..

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I can't get Levis LVC 1947 501XX in a long inseam any more 38-40" before washing. Can anyone recommend a nice Japanese raw denim with a long inseam in the 1947 style. I need a 35" inseam after several washings. Thanks!

Astronaut888

Reaction score
Originally Posted by pocketsquareguy
I can't get Levis LVC 1947 501XX in a long inseam any more 38-40" before washing. Can anyone recommend a nice Japanese raw denim with a long inseam in the 1947 style. I need a 35" inseam after several washings. Thanks!

Sugar Cane 1947?

Not sure if it comes in inseam of that length.

Check SelfEdge.

The SC 2009 On SE website is a 1947 cut but a bit slimmer, I believe.

Honestly, I feel that The Epaulet Smith is very similar to the 1947 cut - others will likely disagree - but, to me, they feel very similar.
The EP Smith is one of my favorite jeans in my current rotation

commodorewheeler

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by anymajordude
Anyone up in here have experience w/ Fullcount? I can't decide between size 33 or 34 in the 1101. I wear a size 34 in Levi's, which measure 35" after wear. I don't want them to be too tight or too loose, I just want some good-fitting jeans. Thanks!!
I haven't worn the 1101s, but if my 1108s are any indication, you're going to want to go with the 33. That Fullcount denim stretches a good amount with wear.
Originally Posted by lovelux2010
i have'nt washed them, but i've worn them around 50 times or so and would like to clean them.. so just wondering if i should a) cold soak b) hot soak c) machine wash hot d) machine wash cold i'm reading through all these denim threads but it seems difficult to find any kind of simple answer..! i want to get them hemmed as they are way too long..
50 wears is the equivalent of a little under 2 months of everyday wear. As long as the jeans aren't really stinky, I would personally do a hot soapy soak if I were in your position and wanted to clean them. If you are considering washing them mainly because you want to get them hemmed, that may not be necessary at this point if they jeans aren't too dirty or stinky. Just get them hemmed about an inch longer than you ordinarily would to account for possible incidental shrinkage in the future.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads