1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

I have a jean...(The Ultimate Jean Thread For Beginners) - ask questions here.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by whodini, Jan 28, 2008.

1. dan138zig

dan138zig Senior member

size 27 is 28" in actual size. with 15 wear, I don't see why it's strange if they're stretched to 29.5"? my size 26 NS have 29" waist after about 15 wears.

2. ChaoX

ChaoX Member

I recently bought a 28 petit new standard APC washed black jeans and I'm not really impressed by the quality and where it manufactures (Macau). I was wondering if you guys have any recommendations for washed black jeans? and what would be my preferable size? Thanks a lot!

3. KentWangFanBrah

KentWangFanBrah Member

For those of you that don't like slim fit, what do you wear?

Looking to get a few pairs, and I have no idea where to start. Best quality for under 120 a pair?

6'2, 205 pounds, and I lift although I have a thin frame if it helps.

4. Best9only

Best9only Active Member

i am saying it again, i never find APC such a good pair of jeans, i dont know whats the fuss about the brand.
    well, are your jeans very pitch dark or denim dark, just cold soaked in cold water with woollite dark.
    and hang dry,
    about your size i dont know what sizes your wear so i cant help you there.
    they will stretch to two inches as you wear ....APC, thats their norm.

5. lawyerdad

lawyerdad Senior member

Sizing up will just compound the no butt problem, no? Sounds like what he needs is a brand/model with a small back rise relative to other measurements.

6. ChaoX

ChaoX Member

Thanks!

By washed, I meant jeans that are already washed by APC, but not raw denim. Do you have any suggestions for pitch black jeans with good quality?

7. Best9only

Best9only Active Member

yeah, they will still stretch with more wear , its just their denim fabric they use. they stretch a great deal, i guess you will be comfortable in them after a while.
    of course, i know a few brands that make pitch black denim thats all i wear. for me if i wear black , must be pitch black,
    what sz are you ?

8. dan138zig

dan138zig Senior member

Probably the cut. Great for skinny people.

9. Best9only

Best9only Active Member

alright i get that the APC fades are very outstanding , ,but there are other brands that are very good with skinny fits.oo. besides, APCs when they are worn and stretched, the waist gets so big but the other parts of pants not so much, so you end up with loose waist, which will lead to hanging on your hips.
    i think they're over rated...

10. ohyoumad

ohyoumad Senior member

Got a Newb question...

I ordered some RRL denim just to try as I've heard some good things.

I tried like 3-4 different washes, all in slim fit. Still waiting to receive. They are all "selvedge" I'm assuming?

I had a nice discount code to use so I went crazy, but besides paying for the name, what "extras" am I paying for in a RRL jean besides the selvedge seam at the bottom? I know there's a $70ish markup at least because it's RL, but what else should I look for in deciphering a "quality" jean?

11. Best9only

Best9only Active Member

come to think of it, RRLs are not that expensive any longer as far as high quality denims,you might be able find on ebay for quite reasonable , besides you got a discount so , you are ok.
    Yes you will find selvedge in your up and arriving denim. RRL uses japanese selvedge denims so there is a quality pair denim.
    Slim fit is good, but not too slim and only difference is the leg opening less than 8 inches.
    you are also buying the leather patch with RL on it and some back pocket designs. made in USA
    they made alot of them.
    overall you made a good choice.
    the big difference between cheap denims and more expensive ones is good ones tend to stay in firm and taut with how ever you wear them, they will get soft and but there is still maintain good shape ..

12. TheSoonest

TheSoonest Senior member

Yes there is some markup with rrl stuff but in general with their denim, you're paying for the higher quality denim, details like hidden rivets, branded rivets, embroidered coin pocket, back pocket construction, etc. With the different washes, you're obviously paying a lot more for the labor that goes into it.

13. ohyoumad

ohyoumad Senior member

Appreciate that! And with Selvedge, I'm assuming that's just a standard attribute of all HQ denim. They didn't advertise it as selvedge but I'm assuming it is.

14. TheSoonest

TheSoonest Senior member

No prob. Selvedge isn't necessarily a given with HQ denim. It depends on the brands. You can see right away if you look at the out seam of the jeans. I believe most rrl jeans are selvedge though

15. runyourchain

runyourchain Senior member

Anyone know any other brands that have a similar fit to RRL low straight cut? Looking for more colors and fabric choices.

16. Ulsterman

Ulsterman Senior member

My first post in the denim thread! Really excited for next week. I have embarked on a quest to find american made high quality denim in the under 100 dollar price point. Harder still as I am a big guy with a 40-42 waist and so often the sizes stop at about 38.

What spurred me on this search was receiving my last and final pair of levis this week from zappos. It was just a joke, and a bad one at that. Never before had a felt a cheaper pair of jeans in my hands and I had enough. Enough with the jeans made in four different countries. Enough of the cheap thin materials. Enough with the lottery of not knowing if the jeans would even fit.

I have ordered three pairs of jeans to see what options are availible to me. One is a pair of Lincolns from All American Clothing. The second a pair of raw white oak cone denim jeans from Pointer Brand. And the third is a pair of Agave denim found nwot at a steep eBay discount. Really excited to see how they turn out!

17. mcdecker1

mcdecker1 Senior member

you should step up your price point for real quality, IMO

18. Ulsterman

Ulsterman Senior member

I'll happily purchase higher price point denim if I can get a really good deal. The agaves for example. Normally 225. Snagged for 70 shipped.

19. Kid Nickels

Kid Nickels Senior member

Certainly you can find occasional deals such as this… I think he's saying that if you really want to have a chance at getting some more high quality denim you should probably expect to be in the $150 range as then you can definitely find some of the better brands when they go on sale for 40%-50% off. I recently grabbed a pair of Raleighs for about $140. Some of my faves.

20. Ulsterman

Ulsterman Senior member

I can see the logic there. Often it doesn't take a huge leap in price to get a major increase in quality. Would be interested in that but I did notice a majority of the makers stop at a 38 waist. I'm six four and Irish so the only way I'd get to 38 would be to develop an eating disorder.

I was happy to see the Agaves at that price. Agave also has an outlet site similarly priced but the sizes were enormous.

After I sent back those crap Levi's I did a lot of google searching and reading on the rawr denim blog and ran through a lot of the well known makers and actually found only a handful that made dark wash, straight legged in my size. The above mentioned brands being a few of them.