• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How would you make up these suits?

Kaplan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Purely hypothetical for now, but I would like some input.

I'm contemplating 4 suits. From darkest to lightest:

Dark blue / light navy flannel
Mid gray flannel
Mid blue fresco *
Pale gray fresco *

* Or similar open weaved suiting. Other recommendations?

All SB, 3 roll 2, side vents.

These are not for conservative business dress (propably not for work at all). I'm thinking that 2 of these - maybe all 4 - should be BlazerSuits so I can use the coat and trou separately.

I would like patch pockets on half of the suits, but - considering the colors and materials - on which ones? And should it be 2 or 3 patch pockets?

How about cuffs?

alliswell

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Get at least one DB - in the fresco. Cuffs on all. Get besom pockets on the flannels. 3 patch on the SBs if you must.

Kaplan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thank you, but no DBs and I was thinking patches on at least one of the flannels.

Apart from strictly aesthetic preferences, are any of the fabrics more suited for flap over patch pockets?

Big Bird

Reaction score
Not a fan of patch pockets on suit jackets. To me it just looks odd and I fear that a solid flannel might add to that feeling. Do you have any inspirational photos you can share? I would definitely go for cuffs. Are you planning on using someone local for the suits?

I have been contemplating ordering a blue-grey flannel suit with this as an inspiration:

/BB

serce

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Kaplan
Purely hypothetical for now, but I would like some input. I'm contemplating 4 suits. From darkest to lightest: Dark blue / light navy flannel Mid gray flannel Mid blue fresco * Pale gray fresco * * Or similar open weaved suiting. Other recommendations? All SB, 3 roll 2, side vents. These are not for conservative business dress (propably not for work at all). I'm thinking that 2 of these - maybe all 4 - should be BlazerSuits so I can use the coat and trou separately. I would like patch pockets on half of the suits, but - considering the colors and materials - on which ones? And should it be 2 or 3 patch pockets? How about cuffs?
Sorry my english...... You are considering 4 suit and you chosen 4 great colors for 4 fine basic suits. So, why all 4 should be BlazerSuits ? I don't know what suits you have but I would do so: Blues with patch pockets and Gray without. Only 2 patch pockets. In my opinion gray solid coats look like too orphaned suits. Or better: They are orphaned suits.
smile.gif

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Patch pockets (2) on the grey flannel and one of the two fresco suits

Kaplan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Big Bird
Not a fan of patch pockets on suit jackets. To me it just looks odd and I fear that a solid flannel might add to that feeling. Do you have any inspirational photos you can share? I would definitely go for cuffs. Are you planning on using someone local for the suits?
Here are two shots, one with patch and one with flap pockets (I assume Iammatt's is a flannel as well?). The color of the left one (Parker's) is closer to what I have envisioned.

Thanks to Parker and Iammatt. I hope you don't mind me using your pics. If you do, let me know.

I don't have a tailor selected for these. I will propably have to go to UK or Italy as I don't think someone here can make me what I want.
Originally Posted by serce
You are considering 4 suit and you chosen 4 great colors for 4 fine basic suits.
So, why all 4 should be BlazerSuits ?
I don't know what suits you have but I would do so:
Blues with patch pockets and Gray without.
Only 2 patch pockets.
In my opinion gray solid coats look like too orphaned suits. Or better: They are orphaned suits.
smile.gif

As previously stated, these are not for work and I don't really have occasion to wear suits that often. But I would like a few really good ones and to get the most use out of them, I would like to be able to wear the coats and trou as seperates.

I agree that I'll propably be able to use the blue coats as odd jackets more often and was considering patch pockets on these for that same reason.
Originally Posted by Film Noir Buff
The two frescos I would make up into mealie bags and the flannels would do nicely as replicas of uniforms. For the navy, a postal uniform circa 1973 and for the grey a WW1 Austrian infantryman.
Obvious suggestions are obvious.

Naturally I have these already.
Originally Posted by gdl203
Patch pockets (2) on the grey flannel and one of the two fresco suits
As I think the pale grey suit has the least chance of having it's coat being used as a separate, I guess flap pockest is a given on that one (not that you can't have patch pockets on something you only use as a suit, but if I only want it on half of them, I have to find some reasoning...).

Half a year ago I wouldn't even have considered cuffs, but being constantly exposed to great fits with 2" cuffs on SF have almost won me over (now I often feel that trou with no cuffs look unfinished).

Say you only wanted cuffs on half of the suits, would you pair them with the patch pockets or not?

(I know that cuffs are considered more casual, same as patch pockets. But I also like how the horizontal strip of a pocket flap is duplicated at the cuffs...)

TRINI

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Patch on all.

Big Bird

Reaction score
suit12.jpg

Wow! I stand corrected! This suit looks great with patch pockets.

I have to steal this one as well and keep as an inspiration.

/BB

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 36.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.8%

Forum statistics

Threads