• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

My final suit.

Vizard

Reaction score
I've been buying suits over the past five years and find myself with nine. I think we can agree that no man should have nine suits, and want to add a tenth. But what?

I have:

Henry Poole mid-grey 2-button SB, 2-piece.
Henry Poole navy 2-button SB 3-piece
Henry Poole brown 2-button SB 3-piece.
Richard James ink blue 2-button 2-piece (Italian soft tailored)
Richard James navy 2-button 2-piece Harrisons Frontier (quite structured)
Richard James navy chalk stripe DB 2-piece flannel.
Richard James grey chalk stripe SB 2-piece flannel.
Richard James French blue SB 2-piece.
Richard James black SB 2-piece light wool.

In addition to the above I have trousers and sport coats, and do use the suit jackets as blazers from time to time.

Based upon what you get most use from, or enjoy wearing, what would you add?

bullethead

Reaction score
Something in a summer weight. Maybe a lighter grey for day or a dark blue

singlechange

Reaction score
No question...any bespoke Henry Poole. I'd expect you'd get more use out of a mid-gray one.

Vizard

Reaction score
No question...any bespoke Henry Poole. I'd expect you'd get more use out of a mid-gray one.
Hah, of my three HPs the grey one gets least use. It was the first one that HP made for me and I had some of my MTMs copied from it.

My most worn suits are probably the Richard James navy (Harrisons Frontier) and my navy HP 3-piece (Holland and Sherry).

jcorqian

Reaction score
I've been buying suits over the past five years and find myself with nine. I think we can agree that no man should have nine suits, and want to add a tenth. But what?

I have:

In addition to the above I have trousers and sport coats, and do use the suit jackets as blazers from time to time.

How would you compare the HPs vs. the RJs? And why did you decide to go with those two over the other shops on on Savile Row? I'm like likely going to dip my toe in soon, so always curious - thanks.

An Acute Style

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I have:

It's hard to make recommendations if we don't know the context in which the suits are worn.

Nonetheless, I would recommend a country suit for fall/winter. Maybe something in tweed, corduroy, moleskin, etc.

For something more formal, a gray prince of wales suit would also be nice.

Lastly, for the warmer months, something in linen or seersucker. Cigar, tobacco, or cream linen depending on your taste. Navy on navy or green on green would work nicely.

Vizard

Reaction score
It's hard to make recommendations if we don't know the context in which the suits are worn.

Nonetheless, I would recommend a country suit for fall/winter. Maybe something in tweed, corduroy, moleskin, etc.

For something more formal, a gray prince of wales suit would also be nice.

Lastly, for the warmer months, something in linen or seersucker. Cigar, tobacco, or cream linen depending on your taste. Navy on navy or green on green would work nicely.

I have blue seersucker and biscuit jackets from Richard James.

Vizard

Reaction score
How would you compare the HPs vs. the RJs? And why did you decide to go with those two over the other shops on on Savile Row? I'm like likely going to dip my toe in soon, so always curious - thanks.

Both tailors have done a really great job for me.

Henry Poole is bespoke only and the oldest tailor on Savile Row. I chose them for my bespoke suits because their house style is a nice midpoint of Savile Row cuts. I like the fact that they try hard to be current, yet very traditional. The fit and cut of the suits they have made is perfect.

Richard James does bespoke, hand sewn MTM (Italian) and machine made MTM. I chose them because I remember when they first set up and since then I don't recall hearing a bad word about them. I have used them only for MTM, both hand-sewn and machine sewn. The Italian stuff is divine; really delicate and soft. The machine sewn garments are crisp and sharp. Their machine made MTM cost me about 20% of a bespoke suit and the fit is maybe 90% as good.

Henry Poole prefers not to deviate too far from their house style. That said, my first suit was slimmer and softer than their preferred silhouette. My later suits are more true to their house style and all of them have enough cloth in the seams to be adjusted if my tastes change.

Richard James also has a house style but will generally do whatever I ask, without question. They offer good advice though. March / April time they do some promotions that make their suits very good value. They will make a MTM suit for the same or less than some RTW suppliers.

Money no object I would have all my suits made bespoke. But for everyday use, or if I am buying something that may not see a lot of use (for example my DB chalk stripe) I will tend to gravitate towards the MTM.

I did quite a lot of research before picking out Henry Poole and Richard James and did briefly use one other bespoke place, but had some quality issues. If HP and RJ continue doing what they do so well I doubt that I will move away from them.

jcorqian

Reaction score
Both tailors have done a really great job for me.

Henry Poole is bespoke only and the oldest tailor on Savile Row. I chose them for my bespoke suits because their house style is a nice midpoint of Savile Row cuts. I like the fact that they try hard to be current, yet very traditional. The fit and cut of the suits they have made is perfect.

Richard James does bespoke, hand sewn MTM (Italian) and machine made MTM. I chose them because I remember when they first set up and since then I don't recall hearing a bad word about them. I have used them only for MTM, both hand-sewn and machine sewn. The Italian stuff is divine; really delicate and soft. The machine sewn garments are crisp and sharp. Their machine made MTM cost me about 20% of a bespoke suit and the fit is maybe 90% as good.

Henry Poole prefers not to deviate too far from their house style. That said, my first suit was slimmer and softer than their preferred silhouette. My later suits are more true to their house style and all of them have enough cloth in the seams to be adjusted if my tastes change.

Richard James also has a house style but will generally do whatever I ask, without question. They offer good advice though. March / April time they do some promotions that make their suits very good value. They will make a MTM suit for the same or less than some RTW suppliers.

Money no object I would have all my suits made bespoke. But for everyday use, or if I am buying something that may not see a lot of use (for example my DB chalk stripe) I will tend to gravitate towards the MTM.

I did quite a lot of research before picking out Henry Poole and Richard James and did briefly use one other bespoke place, but had some quality issues. If HP and RJ continue doing what they do so well I doubt that I will move away from them.
Thanks!

Mute

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You seem to have your solids and stripes well covered. How about a prince of wales check of some kind?

Vizard

Reaction score
Your call. You seem to have both well covered also. Maybe a 3 piece with a shawl collared db waistcoat.

I am quite liking brown at the moment. My last Henry Poole is a mid brown check. Maybe a chocolate brown PoW check would be good.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads