• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How to carry my wallet, cell phone, keys etc.?

LesterSnodgrass

Reaction score
Thin wallet in inside jacket pocket. Money clip in other jacket pocket. Both are unnoticeable when carried.

All other items go in "TRANSATLANTIC LEATHER HANDLE ZIP PORTFOLIO" by Coach.

underwearer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Pick pocketing seems so 19th century...Even on NY subways I don't worry about pick pocketing. (Im sure there is plenty of anecdotal evidence that should scare me but it doesnt)...I think a coin purse is about as necessary as a wallet chain but thats me. I have a wallet in my back right pocket, my car keys in my right front, and anything else in the front left. I hate coins too, I throw pennys away but I still don't need a coin purse
inlove.gif

contactme_11

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I wish man purses weren't frowed upon.
plain.gif

kjm

Reaction score
Originally Posted by contactme_11
I wish man purses weren't frowed upon.
plain.gif

Who says man purses are frowned upon? I think this is a great look. And if someone gives you **** for it, hit him/her with your man purse.

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kjm
Who says man purses are frowned upon? I think this is a great look. And if someone gives you **** for it, hit him/her with your man purse.

frown-ff-797673.jpg

laugh.gif

I have very close friend who totes around a Gucci bag that looks similar to that ^ whenever he goes. How I wish I could tell him to stop it.

Gherkins

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Skip87
Who carries a coin purse?

If you are living in the European Union you will find coins pretty much indispensable. Over here most peaople carry a wallet with a coins pocket.

To the O.P.: if you usually wear a suit, use the inner pockets for your wallet. Most jackets have down on the inside one ore two added pockets, which remain from the times when smoking was more common. You use to carry your cigarettes in these pockets. I find them perfect for cell phones.

gerdemb

Reaction score
Originally Posted by rezzor
What do you usually wear, suit or more casual? with a suit, some sort of brief case is almost necessary. If the later, there are many nice jackets that have a lot of pockets.

BTW, I'm a fan of the coin purse. my wallet has one in it and that makes it much easier when you're paying instead of having to pull out a wallet and coin holder plus it cuts one item off the list.

I'm a graduate student and a suit would be too dressy in our office. I usually wear jeans and a button down shirt with a blazer. I've tried keeping things in the pockets of the blazer, but I frequently take it off (our office is really hot sometimes) and then forget to take them out later. I'm glad I'm not the only one who likes a coin purse. I picked up the habit in Japan where it's very common and coins are worth up to $5 so they're more useful to carry. I'm living in Europe now and Euro coins are also more valuable than American coins and worth carrying around, but as others have suggested in the interests of space savings I may try ditching the coin purse.

gerdemb

Reaction score
Originally Posted by underwearer
Pick pocketing seems so 19th century...Even on NY subways I don't worry about pick pocketing. (Im sure there is plenty of anecdotal evidence that should scare me but it doesnt)...I think a coin purse is about as necessary as a wallet chain but thats me. I have a wallet in my back right pocket, my car keys in my right front, and anything else in the front left. I hate coins too, I throw pennys away but I still don't need a coin purse
inlove.gif

I live in Europe and know many people who have been pick pocketed including my parents and my wife and I have seen real pickpockets working on the train several times. Unfortunately it is a real problem. Euro coins go up to two euros (about $3) so they are worth saving more than American coins. That being said, maybe I will ditch the [purse
inlove.gif
. I agree the word purse and man don't go well together. Someone should come up with a better word...

Liberty Ship

Reaction score
One of the many benefits of habitually wearing a jacket of a suit is that it also serves as "load bearing equipment." In addition to the the normal wallet, keys, money clip, sun glasses, pen, penlight, pepper spray, firearm, extra ammo, knives, meds, some of us also need to have reading glasses handy. Carefully arranged, these can minimally effect the lines of a suit, though less is certainly better. Absent a pack mule or a bearer, however, there is no substitute for a nice jacket when on the urban safari.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
What about a camera case for carrying the essentials? I haven't tried this but am thinking about it for this summer.

During the summer months when dressed casually and any type of jacket is too hot, I have keys, phone, wallet, etc. that I need to carry. I don't like anything in my pockets and I don't feel comfortable with a man-bag/purse.

Recently I was in Best Buy and noticed cheap, light weight camera cases and it occurred to me that this might be an option to consider. Other than looking like a tourist, they would be easy to pack for travel and light weight. I'd be curious as to what others think about this.

onion

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
One thing for sure I try to do: Keep the cell phone and keys in different pockets! Keys will scratch cell phone screens, especially when they are rubbing against each other all day every day.

Ace Rimmer

Reaction score
I'll echo the sentiment to ditch the wallet in favor of a small credit card carrier and a clamp-style money clip. Wallets inevitably fill up, like the one George Costanza had on Seinfeld. Best to slim things down.

This is the credit card carrier I use. I only paid $25 for it, on sale. You really don't need a lot of cards for everyday use. Mine contains:

- Driver's License
- PA concealed weapon permit
- FL concealed weapon permit (for carry in Delaware)
- Medical insurance card (for accidents)
- ATM card
- Credit Card

While I don't like carrying tons of gear in my pockets, sometimes it is inevitable. I'll put as much stuff in my jacket(s) as possible, but when you're just wearing a t-shirt and jeans you don't have much choice. So slim down your equipment if possible -- buy a slim cell phone, etc.

Current load out:

Right front: Kel-Tec P3AT, DeSantis pocket holster

Right rear: Spyderco Endura (clipped), keys, Zippo, mini-Bucktool

Left front: credit card carrier, money clip, cell phone (Samsung Gleam -- smaller than my old RAZR)

Left rear: Surefire E2 Elite, spare magazine for P3AT

HomerJ

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Ace Rimmer
I'll echo the sentiment to ditch the wallet in favor of a small credit card carrier and a clamp-style money clip. Wallets inevitably fill up, like the one George Costanza had on Seinfeld. Best to slim things down. This is the credit card carrier I use. I only paid $25 for it, on sale. You really don't need a lot of cards for everyday use. Mine contains: - Driver's License - PA concealed weapon permit - FL concealed weapon permit (for carry in Delaware) - Medical insurance card (for accidents) - ATM card - Credit Card While I don't like carrying tons of gear in my pockets, sometimes it is inevitable. I'll put as much stuff in my jacket(s) as possible, but when you're just wearing a t-shirt and jeans you don't have much choice. So slim down your equipment if possible -- buy a slim cell phone, etc. Current load out: Right front: Kel-Tec P3AT, DeSantis pocket holster Right rear: Spyderco Endura (clipped), keys, Zippo, mini-Bucktool Left front: credit card carrier, money clip, cell phone (Samsung Gleam -- smaller than my old RAZR) Left rear: Surefire E2 Elite, spare magazine for P3AT
Good God that is a lot of stuff in your pockets. So you sit on your keys, zippo, multitool, flashlight and spare mag? How does that feel! You have some nice gear though
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif
(E2, P3AT) I'd use an ankle wallet/band if I were you because I hate sitting on stuff. I carry a Moto Razr in LF, Keys in RF. As noted earlier, keys + cellphone in one pocket = messed up LCD. A slim card case with 1 driver's license, 1 credit card, 1 ATM card in LR. RR is empty.

eudoxos

Reaction score
Along the same theme....During the winter I wear my long wool coat, a winter hat and gloves. When I get into the subway I take off my hat and gloves and shove them in my coat pockets. The pockets bulge out and it looks awful. Anybody else have this problem and/or solutions?

MTC

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads