Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

How to carry my wallet, cell phone, keys etc.?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by gerdemb, Jan 21, 2008.

1. gerdemb

gerdemb New Member

Everyday I carry a cell phone, a key ring with my car keys (including a wireless fob) and apartment keys, a bi-fold wallet with a very minimal number of cards and a small coin purse for change. I'm fairly minimalist and conscious of carrying only things that I really need everyday, but I still feel like I'm jamming my pockets full of stuff that's hard to fish out and creating lumpy uncomfortable bulges in my pants. I keep my wallet in my front pocket because I take public transportation that sometimes has pickpockets and because I don't feel comfortable sitting on my wallet. Any inspiration about how I can lighten or re-arrange my load. I can see why people succumb to belt clips for cell phones even though I think they look awful...

2. jml90

jml90 Senior member

Front right: Wallet
    Front Left: Cell phone, keys
    Back right: knife
    Back left: handkerchief
    Optional: lighter and flashlight

3. robin

robin Senior member

Consider using a bag or briefcase to carry everything except for a couple of keys and a light wallet.

4. GBR

GBR Senior member

You will get many variations but:

Back left:
    Wallet or handkerchief
    Back right
    wallet or handkerchief - y
    Your choice which way round and just move the wallet on any occasion you feel threatened. Keep them fastened at all times.

Right front
    Lose the coin purse and keep the few coins in either the change pocket/watch pocket or failing that with your handkerchief.

Left Front
    keys etc

5. IUtoSLU

IUtoSLU Senior member

Front left: Wallet
    Front right: Car Key, cell phone (only when necessary)

Leave the rest of the keys and such in your car's glove box.

6. coogie

coogie Senior member

I just wrap cash around a couple of credit cards and put them in the left.
    thin phone as well - right. Keep my keys small. Not a fan of bulky pockets

7. Skip87

Skip87 Senior member

Who carries a coin purse? When you get home throw your coins into a jar and when it gets full, go to a coinstar machine and redeem it for a Starbuck's giftcard or something.

Buy a thinner phone if you want to keep everything in your front pockets.

If you wear suits or other kinds of coats a lot, then get a card wallet and keep it in your jacket pocket.

As for myself, I try to keep it really simple:

Front Left: Keys and money clip for cash (car and house key on a simple ring)
    Front right: cell phone (RAZR's, Blackberry's, etc... are good thin ones)
    Back right: wallet (driver's license, school id card, 1 debit card, 1 credit card. NO CASH)

In my opnion, excess stuff like credit cards you may not need should be stored in safety deposit boxes or another secure location until you actually need them. Also, I don't carry one dollar bills unless I'm going to a McDonald's or something and pay with a stack of them.

8. amiestilo

amiestilo Active Member

+1 on not liking the cellphone belt clip look and carrying valuables in front pockets.
    I'd leave the coin wallet and toss the change at your office, home or car as it accumulates. Try a money clip with a few bills, id and a card or two. Agree with leaving extra keys in the car. Even remove the fob and take just the car door key if formally dressed.
    Edit: Found this similar thread which might be helpful to you:
    http://www.styleforum.net/showthread...ght=money+clip

9. Tarmac

Tarmac Senior member

front L: Uzi 9mm, brazilian machete
    front R: butterfly knive, leatherman mega tool
    rear R: motorola StarTac 9000 and lodestone
    rear L: 10xD-cell Maglite (aka The Rodney King), wallet

10. beasty

beasty Senior member

Everyday I carry a cell phone, a key ring with my car keys (including a wireless fob) and apartment keys, a bi-fold wallet with a very minimal number of cards and a small coin purse for change. I'm fairly minimalist and conscious of carrying only things that I really need everyday, but I still feel like I'm jamming my pockets full of stuff that's hard to fish out and creating lumpy uncomfortable bulges in my pants. I keep my wallet in my front pocket because I take public transportation that sometimes has pickpockets and because I don't feel comfortable sitting on my wallet. Any inspiration about how I can lighten or re-arrange my load. I can see why people succumb to belt clips for cell phones even though I think they look awful...

I face the same problems and putting my wallet in my jeans pocket is damaging the damn thing.

Anyway, why dont you buy one of those small clutch man bags that you craddle in your arm? You can stuff everything in it.

11. zarathustra

zarathustra Senior member

What about a nice pair of cargo pants?[​IMG] [​IMG]

12. jml90

jml90 Senior member

front L: Uzi 9mm, brazilian machete

I hope that machete is in a sheath or you could really hurt something very vital.

13. rezzor

rezzor Senior member

What do you usually wear, suit or more casual? with a suit, some sort of brief case is almost necessary. If the later, there are many nice jackets that have a lot of pockets.

BTW, I'm a fan of the coin purse. my wallet has one in it and that makes it much easier when you're paying instead of having to pull out a wallet and coin holder plus it cuts one item off the list.

14. amiestilo

amiestilo Active Member

front L: Uzi 9mm, Brazilian machete

The only thing that jumps out as slightly unusual on that list, is you choose to carry your wallet in a rear pocket. Otherwise, brilliant list of daily accessories.

15. Recoil

Recoil Senior member

Get the Louis Vuitton man-purse. Ha ha.. I'm totally kidding.. Despite my name.

I find it surprising people actually carry things in their pockets. Even the smallest cell phone and key ring bother me. I never put anything other than change from my coffee in my pockets, and even then it goes into my desk drawer at the end of the night or when I go back to the office. Only pockets I keep things in are my back right for my wallet or pockets in my jacket. Everything else goes in my bag.