• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How to carry my wallet, cell phone, keys etc.?

gerdemb

Reaction score
Everyday I carry a cell phone, a key ring with my car keys (including a wireless fob) and apartment keys, a bi-fold wallet with a very minimal number of cards and a small coin purse for change. I'm fairly minimalist and conscious of carrying only things that I really need everyday, but I still feel like I'm jamming my pockets full of stuff that's hard to fish out and creating lumpy uncomfortable bulges in my pants. I keep my wallet in my front pocket because I take public transportation that sometimes has pickpockets and because I don't feel comfortable sitting on my wallet. Any inspiration about how I can lighten or re-arrange my load. I can see why people succumb to belt clips for cell phones even though I think they look awful...

jml90

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Front right: Wallet
Front Left: Cell phone, keys
Back right: knife
Back left: handkerchief
Optional: lighter and flashlight

robin

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Consider using a bag or briefcase to carry everything except for a couple of keys and a light wallet.

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You will get many variations but:

Back left:
Wallet or handkerchief
Back right
wallet or handkerchief - y
Your choice which way round and just move the wallet on any occasion you feel threatened. Keep them fastened at all times.

Right front
Lose the coin purse and keep the few coins in either the change pocket/watch pocket or failing that with your handkerchief.

Left Front
keys etc

IUtoSLU

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Front left: Wallet
Front right: Car Key, cell phone (only when necessary)

Leave the rest of the keys and such in your car's glove box.

coogie

Reaction score
I just wrap cash around a couple of credit cards and put them in the left.
thin phone as well - right. Keep my keys small. Not a fan of bulky pockets

Skip87

Reaction score
Who carries a coin purse? When you get home throw your coins into a jar and when it gets full, go to a coinstar machine and redeem it for a Starbuck's giftcard or something.

Buy a thinner phone if you want to keep everything in your front pockets.

If you wear suits or other kinds of coats a lot, then get a card wallet and keep it in your jacket pocket.

As for myself, I try to keep it really simple:

Front Left: Keys and money clip for cash (car and house key on a simple ring)
Front right: cell phone (RAZR's, Blackberry's, etc... are good thin ones)
Back right: wallet (driver's license, school id card, 1 debit card, 1 credit card. NO CASH)

In my opnion, excess stuff like credit cards you may not need should be stored in safety deposit boxes or another secure location until you actually need them. Also, I don't carry one dollar bills unless I'm going to a McDonald's or something and pay with a stack of them.

amiestilo

Reaction score
+1 on not liking the cellphone belt clip look and carrying valuables in front pockets.
I'd leave the coin wallet and toss the change at your office, home or car as it accumulates. Try a money clip with a few bills, id and a card or two. Agree with leaving extra keys in the car. Even remove the fob and take just the car door key if formally dressed.
Edit: Found this similar thread which might be helpful to you:
http://www.styleforum.net/showthread...ght=money+clip

Tarmac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
front L: Uzi 9mm, brazilian machete
front R: butterfly knive, leatherman mega tool
rear R: motorola StarTac 9000 and lodestone
rear L: 10xD-cell Maglite (aka The Rodney King), wallet

beasty

Reaction score
Originally Posted by gerdemb
Everyday I carry a cell phone, a key ring with my car keys (including a wireless fob) and apartment keys, a bi-fold wallet with a very minimal number of cards and a small coin purse for change. I'm fairly minimalist and conscious of carrying only things that I really need everyday, but I still feel like I'm jamming my pockets full of stuff that's hard to fish out and creating lumpy uncomfortable bulges in my pants. I keep my wallet in my front pocket because I take public transportation that sometimes has pickpockets and because I don't feel comfortable sitting on my wallet. Any inspiration about how I can lighten or re-arrange my load. I can see why people succumb to belt clips for cell phones even though I think they look awful...

I face the same problems and putting my wallet in my jeans pocket is damaging the damn thing.

Anyway, why dont you buy one of those small clutch man bags that you craddle in your arm? You can stuff everything in it.

zarathustra

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What about a nice pair of cargo pants?
devil.gif
devil.gif

jml90

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tarmac
front L: Uzi 9mm, brazilian machete

I hope that machete is in a sheath or you could really hurt something very vital.

rezzor

Reaction score
What do you usually wear, suit or more casual? with a suit, some sort of brief case is almost necessary. If the later, there are many nice jackets that have a lot of pockets.

BTW, I'm a fan of the coin purse. my wallet has one in it and that makes it much easier when you're paying instead of having to pull out a wallet and coin holder plus it cuts one item off the list.

amiestilo

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tarmac
front L: Uzi 9mm, Brazilian machete

The only thing that jumps out as slightly unusual on that list, is you choose to carry your wallet in a rear pocket. Otherwise, brilliant list of daily accessories.

Recoil

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Get the Louis Vuitton man-purse. Ha ha.. I'm totally kidding.. Despite my name.

I find it surprising people actually carry things in their pockets. Even the smallest cell phone and key ring bother me. I never put anything other than change from my coffee in my pockets, and even then it goes into my desk drawer at the end of the night or when I go back to the office. Only pockets I keep things in are my back right for my wallet or pockets in my jacket. Everything else goes in my bag.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads