• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Where to keep wallet, keys, cell phone when wearing suit/sportscoat?

jermyzy

Reaction score
This may sound like a stupid question, but I'm serious. Where do you keep your wallet, keys, and cell phone when wearing a suit/sportscoat? In the fall/winter I wear an overcoat, so I keep them in the overcoat pockets. Same in the spring if it's raining and I have a raincoat. But what about in the summer when I don't have an overcoat? Currently, my wife has been with me whenever I've dressed up, so she holds my items for me in her purse, but what happens if I'm by myself? My trousers are slim-fit so they would be quite bulky if I put them into the trouser pockets, plus I'd worry about the keys damaging them. Thanks in advance!

ValidusLA

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Couple solutions here.
1) I use a coat wallet whenever I wear a jacket (most days). Only use a bifold when wearing denim.
2) cell phone can go in a jacket interior pocket can't it? Unless you use a very thick case?
3) Minimize your key carry. I try to only keep a car fob in my pocket and leave other keys in my briefcase. But in case I need to actually take them I have my most important keys on an orbitkey with a flash drive. Keeps them from rotating and scratching pockets or bulking put. SmartSelect_20210911-173213_Chrome.jpg

TexasToast

Reaction score
You can get a slim wallet that holds a few cards and some cash, I like the ideal above for keys. As far as your cell phone goes I'm at a loss for that one, Maybe you can do without it since your wife will be with you. Or you can do like Seinfeld did on one of his shows have a carry all lol.
jerry.jpg

maxalex

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I used to carry my phone in the in-breast pocket until my tailor saw me do that and almost had a heart attack. “I make you a perfect jacket, fits you like a second skin, and you ruin the drape with that phone! Only put a letter in that pocket!”

He instructed me to use the outside hip pockets for phone, keys, anything bulky. (You can put quite a few small things in those pockets without compromising the shape of the jacket, but there are limits.) I keep money (paper and change) in trouser pockets, along with a small credit card wallet that also holds my national ID, health card and driver’s license.

It works well except if I’m wearing a Neapolitan jacket with patch pockets in a place like…well, Naples, where pickpockets are rampant. In that case my brand new iPhone feels too exposed so I transfer it to the in-breast pocket. Sorry, Andrea…

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I used to carry my phone in the in-breast pocket until my tailor saw me do that and almost had a heart attack. “I make you a perfect jacket, fits you like a second skin, and you ruin the drape with that phone! Only put a letter in that pocket!”

He instructed me to use the outside hip pockets for phone, keys, anything bulky. (You can put quite a few small things in those pockets without compromising the shape of the jacket, but there are limits.) I keep money (paper and change) in trouser pockets, along with a small credit card wallet that also holds my national ID, health card and driver’s license.

It works well except if I’m wearing a Neapolitan jacket with patch pockets in a place like…well, Naples, where pickpockets are rampant. In that case my brand new iPhone feels too exposed so I transfer it to the in-breast pocket. Sorry, Andrea…

I've always been told that the in-breast pockets are better than the hip pockets. First, there's more structure there, such as the haircloth and pad stitching. Second, if your hip pockets are jetted, you can stretch out the fabric and create an uneven pocket line. If your pockets are patched, you can cause the fabric to sag. This is especially true of spongey tweeds such as Shetland. When I bought my Shetland tweed from Anderson & Sheppard, Colin advised that I get flapped pockets, instead of patched, for this reason.

maxalex

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've always been told that the in-breast pockets are better than the hip pockets. First, there's more structure there, such as the haircloth and pad stitching. Second, if your hip pockets are jetted, you can stretch out the fabric and create an uneven pocket line. If your pockets are patched, you can cause the fabric to sag. This is especially true of spongey tweeds such as Shetland. When I bought my Shetland tweed from Anderson & Sheppard, Colin advised that I get flapped pockets, instead of patched, for this reason.
I know, I get it. And I’m sure my Roman tailor was overreacting. I suppose it depends on the cut and drape as well as the fabric. Italian bespoke is so close to the chest, a phone can make a difference. I think the best general advice is to carry as little **** as possible, and put it where it feels right for you.

Last edited:

PORCAMOSRL

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
This may sound like a stupid question, but I'm serious. Where do you keep your wallet, keys, and cell phone when wearing a suit/sportscoat? In the fall/winter I wear an overcoat, so I keep them in the overcoat pockets. Same in the spring if it's raining and I have a raincoat. But what about in the summer when I don't have an overcoat? Currently, my wife has been with me whenever I've dressed up, so she holds my items for me in her purse, but what happens if I'm by myself? My trousers are slim-fit so they would be quite bulky if I put them into the trouser pockets, plus I'd worry about the keys damaging them. Thanks in advance!

You could get a satchel, they tend to use satchels here in Italy. I have one.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads