• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How old should you be before you can buy an expensive watch?

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Aperipan
Why can't you construct your sentences in a more academic manner? No need to conjure theories of psychodynamics to criticize the OP, esp. the ridiculous phrase "are you that insecure?" Wearing a fancy watch is something that, IMHO, an emblematic symbol of "new money." That's the first thing men buy when they make some money. I'd advise the OP to focus on shoes or a nice jacket instead. No one gives a **** what you wear on your wrist. My uncle was a Jeweler and he wore a modest vintage piece while selling these $200K + watches.

No one, excepting the members and readers here, really cares about your jacket or your shoes either.

I say, if you want a nice watch, would enjoy wearing it, and can afford it (i.e. the purchase would not be fiscally irresponsible,) then do so. A beautiful watch, like beautiful shoes, suits, ties, or artisanal jeans and belts, should be worn because it gives you pleasure, not so that you can send some sort of social signal. The vast majority of people could not tell the differences between a $500 and a $15 000 watch or a $500 and a $5000 suit anyway, and take their cues from your body language, not the pricetag on your clothing.

Aperipan

Reaction score
Originally Posted by LA Guy
No one, excepting the members and readers here, really cares about your jacket or your shoes either.

I say, if you want a nice watch, would enjoy wearing it, and can afford it (i.e. the purchase would not be fiscally irresponsible,) then do so. A beautiful watch, like beautiful shoes, suits, ties, or artisanal jeans and belts, should be worn because it gives you pleasure, not so that you can send some sort of social signal. The vast majority of people could not tell the differences between a $500 and a $15 000 watch or a $500 and a $5000 suit anyway, and take their cues from your body language, not the pricetag on your clothing.

Well, no one can disagree with that. To be honest, I'm not sure what type of response the OP is looking for. His post is too open ended. BUT, I'd still say shoes > watches.
smile.gif

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Besides the point that there is a vast difference between 'having made some money' and 'New money'.

New money describes the newly rich, people who have become wealthy in their current generation.

Most people going out and buying a watch because they enjoy it, are not 'new money' they're just your average person who wants to enjoy a little of the money he made.

It takes a very insecure person to worry about all of the thoughts of other people when making a purchase. Asking advice and taking it into consideration is one thing, but avoiding buying something simple that you long for, because your boss will frown on it is another.

The other thing that struck me as being insecure was the ignorant comment about 'billionaire daddy buying one for your 21st birthday'....said as if anyone who owns a nice watch is ethier, Neuvo rich, daddy bought it, ect. Not once did the OP take into consideration that yes, some people, even young people, work hard for things save their money and buy them.

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Aperipan
Why can't you construct your sentences in a more academic manner? No need to conjure theories of psychodynamics to criticize the OP, esp. the ridiculous phrase "are you that insecure?" Wearing a fancy watch is something that, IMHO, an emblematic symbol of "new money." That's the first thing men buy when they make some money. I'd advise the OP to focus on shoes or a nice jacket instead. No one gives a **** what you wear on your wrist. My uncle was a Jeweler and he wore a modest vintage piece while selling these $200K + watches.
Not only painfully written, but painfully wrong.

Timeless Fashion

Reaction score
The decision to purchase an expensive watch is very much a personal decision. Most people will think of an automatic Swiss made watch when talking about watches at this level. There is no appropriate age or income level, but it depends on your priorities and your reason for wanting to get an expensive watch. Is it more important than paying off your other debt or buying your first home or buying a nice car or designer suit or whatever that may pique your interest...

Are you purchasing this watch because you want to impress others or do you value quality workmanship and do not care if others notice it or not? There are many expensive watches that will not get noticed by the average person. If you wear long sleeve shirts most of the time, you can easily conceal it under your sleeve and most people will not notice what you are wearing.

People will comment on the fact that GWB wore a timex on his wrist during his presidency and I believe celebrities are more concerned about what they wear on their wrists compared to your average Joe wondering if your boss is going to look at you weird for wearing an expensive watch.

Mathew J

Reaction score
Originally Posted by NakedYoga
+1. I'm 24, about to graduate law school, and want to buy a nice watch as sort of a graduation gift to myself, as my parents are funding a European vacation after I take the bar exam. The unfortunate thing is that I haven't been able to save for it, since I can't have a job during the school year, and although summer jobs pay well, rent and utilities are expensive. I'm starting to save now, but I know I'll have to wait close to a year before I buy it... but it will still be a graduation gift to myself. I've got my eye on a few different ones; I'm thinking either Omega, Rolex, or IWC. Although I might do better with a more formal or business looking piece.

You would be well served with any of those IMHO, and they all make watches that are versitile...Omega with the Aqua Terra, Rolex with the Datejust, IWC with their Pilots line....

And I would disagree with the person who said no Tag Heuer, their Carerra line and the historical pieces are truly nice, as is their link line...the others such as the F1 series I am less enthsiastic about but understand brands need diversity

emmanuel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I never understood the hype behind tag. If quality is important to you then you can get better watches for the price. If looks are, you can also get way nicer looking pieces from other brands cheaper than tag. ****, I even hate the name.

Mathew J

Reaction score
Originally Posted by SkinnyGoomba
People this weak should be destroyed (your boss that is).

You should note that its not the watch that got you in trouble, its the fact that you walked right into a trap and fell for it. Something that comes with the territory of luxury goods is when to talk about them, and when to avoid it and change the topic.

I tried diversion, but at that point it was too late...it was recognized..I tried the whole gift approach but alas it was not worth it at that point. It didn't help that she was a watch nut as well with a self admitted max percieved budget threshold for used Hamiltons....I chalked it up to envy on some level (not salary as clearly she made more, but rather the mindset that allows one to endulge)...whatever, it never stopped me from wearing it at work and I am somewhat of a self admitted jerk so I would point it out after that awkward experience just to rub it in.

Mathew J

Reaction score
Originally Posted by emmanuel
I never understood the hype behind tag. If quality is important to you then you can get better watches for the price. If looks are, you can also get way nicer looking pieces from other brands cheaper than tag. ****, I even hate the name.

To each their own, personally I never got Breitling, they have maybe one watch that I think is nice and it is dreadfully too small or massively large (their historic diver watch)...other than that I find them garish and ugly....

With Tag at least they have a collection that visibly appeals to me at some level, plus their prices aren't crazy expensive all things considered and their build quality is good from what I have seen, definately comparable with others at that price range, on average they are less expensive than both Omega and Breitling and more spendy than say Longines and Oris so that is where I place them.

Crane's

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I bought a two tone Rolex GMT Master on my one year anniversary of being in business for myself. We had a very good first year and I decided to mark the occasion.

Anytime is a good time to buy a nice watch. All you need to do is define what you call a nice watch and then go buy it for yourself.

andyw

Reaction score
Assuming you're buying to do more than just tell time and you behavior tends towards addiction as the rest of us on SF, then you need to be old enough to appreciate what you are buying.....and then able to buy more.

Busa Dave

Reaction score
Kind of like now---wear Swiss Perpetual Movement Watches and only Shell Shoes!! A little older but have always liked the good stuff. Also helps when the wife works for Richmont!!
teacha.gif

backboard60

Reaction score
Originally Posted by MetroStyles
I'm not a watch person (to me it is a waste of money) and probably won't buy an expensive one until I make 100x its price in annual income. But by all means, if it is something that is important to you, buy it as soon as you have the disposable income needed.

my pops is really into watches and now can upgrade anytime but he has this financial freedom because he had patience for his life and his work to produce

ginlimetonic

Reaction score
damn those 50K, 100K and 200K watches, i'd rather dump it in equities as a long term investment.
At the opportunity cost of wearing a watch 10 yeras later, your purchasing power would have greatly increased.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads