How old should you be before you can buy an expensive watch?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by josepidal, Apr 11, 2009.

1. josepidal

josepidal Senior member

Probably a silly question but when do you guys figure it's okay to think about buying an expensive dress watch (unless Daddy is a billionaire who gave you one for your 21st birthday)? For example, an expensive watch is an obvious show of wealth and what if no one at work and especially not your bosses have a nice watch or are in any particular way refined in their dress?

2. emmanuel

emmanuel Senior member

You should buy a good watch when you can afford one. You shouldnt be concerned with your bosses short comings.

3. SkinnyGoomba

SkinnyGoomba Senior member

4. Bradford

Bradford Current Events Moderator

Whenever you want to and can afford to do so.

That being said, I didn't own an expensive watch until my wife gave me one for our wedding.

Of course, being a Tag Heuer, many here would still say I don't own an expensive watch.

5. TRINI

TRINI Senior member

Old enough to afford it.

6. Philip1978

Philip1978 Senior member

Probably a silly question but when do you guys figure it's okay to think about buying an expensive dress watch (unless Daddy is a billionaire who gave you one for your 21st birthday)? For example, an expensive watch is an obvious show of wealth and what if no one at work and especially not your bosses have a nice watch or are in any particular way refined in their dress?

Unless it's solid gold and covered in diamonds, most people won't know it's an expensive watch.

7. osc

osc Senior member

Agree with all the above posters - When you can afford an expensive watch is when you can buy one. Of course, expensive is a very relative term in the market and on this forum [​IMG]

I find people don't really notice your watch unless it has a well-marketed name/look to it.

8. MetroStyles

MetroStyles Senior member

I'm not a watch person (to me it is a waste of money) and probably won't buy an expensive one until I make 100x its price in annual income. But by all means, if it is something that is important to you, buy it as soon as you have the disposable income needed.

9. Aperipan

Aperipan Senior member

I'm not a watch person (to me it is a waste of money) and probably won't buy an expensive one until I make 100x its price in annual income. But by all means, if it is something that is important to you, buy it as soon as you have the disposable income needed.
    I agree with this. Also, a watch is the least important part of respectable looking wardrobe. I had been wearing a JLC master hometime since I was 15 and while no one really noticed the teachers "can sort of tell" and I don't like it. I sold it last year to get some money for travel. I would advise wearing a fancy one in your professional career but nothing gaudy, loaded with useless complications like moonphase and erotic automatons. My ideal watch is still a basic time only Debethune.

10. teddieriley

teddieriley Senior member

Question isn't totally out of left field. When one can "afford" it is a little vague, but to further that line of reasoning, that purchase has to be in line with your life's financial goals. You can have $20K saved up in cash, have regular contributions to your 401K and have enough to pay for rent/mortgage, taxes and other life necessities, but should you blow $10K of your savings to buy an IWC watch at a relatively young age?

Kind of hard to say what you prioritize. On one hand you can argue, why should I wait until I'm 50 so I can buy an expensive watch - only leaves you 10-20 good years to enjoy it, versus buying the watch now at say 35 so you can enjoy it longer while still being on course to your financial goals. Not only that, the older you get, and you have a family with young kids, unless you make boat loads of money, what are the chances you will spend that kind of coin on yourself when you have a young family? So should you do it before or after they're grown?

But don't let that fool you. You buy one expensive watch, you're on that path to having a collection. One won't be enough, I'd imagine. It's up to you. Even if I had $50K, I'd hesitate to buy that IWC I had my eye on. Now if I had $100K, different story.

As to your boss, I do find that it matters. You need to sense how they react to that sort of thing. Some partners in law firms, for example, may notice those things and it may not bode well for you if you are perceived as flashy. It's all about using good judgment more than just I want that watch.

11. GuidoWongolini

GuidoWongolini Senior member

- WTF!
    - you have answered your own Q.. Yes this is a silly .. Wait.. STOOPID Q.. I'd understad if you had <10 post.. But come on!
    - & no, an expensive watch is not a obvious sign of wealth..
    - finally who cares what others in your office wear.. Are you wearing for your self or others
    - are you that insecure?

You should buy a good watch when you can afford one. You shouldnt be concerned with your bosses short comings.
    - +1!

12. fuji

fuji Senior member

Ive worn a stainless steel rolex oysterdate and a 18k gold longines since I was 14 and not that many people notice and even if they do who cares, its not like they can look down at you for wearing an expensive watch.

13. emmanuel

emmanuel Senior member

Interesting points ted. I say spend like crazy when you are young on whatever you want. Is it responsible? No, but it sure is fun! Waste that money when it doesnt matter, before you get weighed down by responsibilities!

14. whacked

whacked Senior member

The funniest thing about this thread, much like vaclav's latest in SW&D, is the collective sense of wonder in the replies.

It's just josepidal being josepidal, really. [​IMG]

15. Aperipan

Aperipan Senior member

- WTF!
    - you have answered your own Q.. Yes this is a silly .. Wait.. STOOPID Q.. I'd understad if you had <10 post.. But come on!
    - & no, an expensive watch is not a obvious sign of wealth..
    - finally who cares what others in your office wear.. Are you wearing for your self or others
    - are you that insecure?

- +1!

Why can't you construct your sentences in a more academic manner? No need to conjure theories of psychodynamics to criticize the OP, esp. the ridiculous phrase "are you that insecure?" Wearing a fancy watch is something that, IMHO, an emblematic symbol of "new money." That's the first thing men buy when they make some money. I'd advise the OP to focus on shoes or a nice jacket instead. No one gives a shit what you wear on your wrist. My uncle was a Jeweler and he wore a modest vintage piece while selling these $200K + watches.