• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How old should you be before you can buy an expensive watch?

whacked

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by josepidal
Sorry, I should have briefed you on the nature of Jose posts.

worship.gif

nakky

Reaction score
Originally Posted by 3orangewhips
WRONG! This is all you should be concerned with.

In most (not all) business situations, you want to dress one level above your current job. If you dress like your boss's boss, you might make your current boss nervous.

Sometimes, if your boss is on the way out or a particularly sub-par dresser (below his station) you have to use your judgment.

I have found that most of my bosses have no idea about the watches I wear, and those who do simply admire it, rather than critisize.

I also dont spend time in the morning wondering if what I am wearing will make my boss nervous. Their insecurities are not my problem!

josepidal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I definitely agree with you. I just thought about it because a senior person (but not my boss) once approached me and handed me a cheap umbrella with the school logo to carry, in response to my coming to work with a Brigg (that some of the female staff, in fairness, particularly like and therefore attracted notice in a roundabout way).

Timeless Fashion

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mathew J
Yes but that simple patek you refer too not only costs considerably more than the more recognized brands, but also service costs are very spendy, and typically the time for service is months if not longer...

Patek, Audemars, JLC, Blancpain, FP Journe, GO, and many others make wonderful pieces, but for most their price is prohibitive not only on the front end, but also down the line from a service standpoint.

Personally, until I am making a million plus a year I am happy with enjoying the more noticable brands (Rolex, Omega, Panerai, Tag...etc)

You have to understand that servicing a Rolex at one of their official service centers in the US is going to cost you $600+. However with a new Rolex, you won't have to worry about it for first 5 years. Having said that it is only a couple hundred bucks more to service a simple Patek. The Calatrava model shown does have an initial price in the $20k+ range. $20k+ is a large amount of money to spend on your first "luxury" watch and for most people $5k-$10k is more reasonable range.

Regarding your boss, I think having a female boss can be more difficult. Men and women look at women and jewelry quite differently. Men have only a few things that we can wear as "jewelry", namely a watch, ring and perhaps cufflinks. Women have far more options including necklace, ear rings, bracelets just to name a few. Having said that, I feel a female boss is more likely to look at your watch than a male boss and give you a hard time if she wants to. I can't imagine many male bosses really carig about what type of watch you wear unless he is a watch aficionado himself.

longskate88

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm in college and at one time had a collection of a couple watches pushing $8K or so altogether, and I spent probably $50K buying (and sold the majority to recoup of course) within a year.

Just sold my last one the other day. I had finally gotten burned out, and saw them as a commodity more than an enjoyable luxury, so I sold everything. I worried a little about wearing fancy watches at my age, and I find not wearing a watch to be a much more relaxed feeling. I'd rather have the money in the bank, giving me freedom to do what I want, than tied up in a watch.

In my experience, people don't notice watches, and those that do often assume a nice watch is fake or a gift. The only people who always noticed were watch retail store sales assistants, and who cares what they think?
devil.gif

If you want to, don't wear a watch and 'leave them guessing.'

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
All the retail people local to me, know me as being extremely thrifty, even though i wear a nice watch. In the princeton NJ area its alot of old money, and they're all pretty thrifty, the Polo store is really selling when things get 50% off or more.

Cavalier

Reaction score
I have a ****** Movado I picked up on sale from Thewatchery; I have plenty of cash but see no reason to spend it on a watch at this point in my life. Granted I am in my early 20's... Rather keep the money in the bank, and reduce my expenses where I can.

An outright expensive watch is not an image I want to portray. However a nice vintage watch makes a good, classy statement about the owner

TGPlastic

Reaction score
Try it, you might like it. Buy something that you can easily sell in the event you don't enjoy having an expensive watch. Consider buying your watch second hand or on the gray market. Of course both methods entail taking certain risks. Be clear that being the first owner of a high end watch is a privilege that comes with a big price penalty. What's more, some watches are simply not worth what they retail for. Know before you buy.

Consider:

Buy a secondhand Speedmaster for $2500...you can probably sell it for roughly the same thing.

Buy a brand new Tag Link Tiger Woods pro model for $2500...you'd probably couldn't get $1500 on the used market.

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LabelKing
I wear an all gold(dial, hands, numerals) watch on a grey strap from the late '40s, but it is surprisingly discreet.

... by LK standards.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads