• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How old is this A & S suit?

TCN

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mack11211
The size of the pocket flaps suggests mid 70s, and not in a good way.

Ha! Well they are special "Savile Row pockets" that he describes as besom(?).

rnoldh

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
2 & 1/2 hours to go and the suit has been bid up to $420! Too high for a 1974 used Ebay suit IMO.

It appears that two bidders with low feedback score are in a bidding war. Nice situation for a selller.

Of course bidders with low feedback are prone to not finalize the deal.

Here's the A & S suit auction

I also just noticed that the coat length is 32" and the pant inseam is 34". That seems out of whack, but that's what you get in Bespoke garments.

The button holes appear to be working button holes in the picture, but the description says they are not. Too bad, since that seems one of the suits best features to me.I think the seller is not very knowledgeable of fine clothing and is given to a lot of hype.

His Oxxford suit is still available for a lot less than the A & S and seems more desirable and in the same basic size. I wonder about his claim of the Oxxford suit being made in 2007! If that is true he ought to show a picture of the workshop tag which usually has a date.

Teacher

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mack11211
The size of the pocket flaps suggests mid 70s, and not in a good way.

Ha! I was just going to write that; the size of the lapel is also a 70s giveaway, although A&S tends to be sized and shapled similarly anyway.

Will

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by rnoldh
The button holes appear to be working button holes in the picture, but the description says they are not. Too bad, since that seems one of the suits best features to me.I think the seller is not very knowledgeable of fine clothing and is given to a lot of hype.

If it is A&S from the 70's the buttonholes would not be working. They started sewing working ones in the 90's.

rnoldh

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Will
If it is A&S from the 70's the buttonholes would not be working. They started sewing working ones in the 90's.

Thanks Will, I never knew that. The button holes are very nicely done nevertheless.

IMG_0130.jpg

tanalasta

Reaction score
Umm...

What's the point of paying good money for a bespoke suit on eBay.

When the bidder isn't the one the tailor originally measured out?

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I actually like this suit.

Sometimes I rather like the dated clothes, they look so conspicuously out of place today. Also, wearing dated clothes tends to bring back memories of one's prime. One doesn't necessarily want to get with the times when better times were had in the past.

bengal-stripe

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Well, the suit clocked in at $ 420.00.

Good luck to the highest bidder: Wear it in good health!

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This looks like a rag rather than an A and S suit.

A and S certainly don't cost $12,000 and surely a vendor would show the label unless there is not one - which he does not state. the match of the pattern is very poor.

the only thing which is A and S is the longer button hole in the lapel. However I suspect it s simply a cheap copy at best.

fools will doubtless be parted from their money though.

The Doctor

Reaction score
Originally Posted by rnoldh
Anyone have any ideas how old this A & S suit might be? It's advertised as a $12,000 A & S suit! The seller has plenty of pictures, but they are mostly repetitive, and there are no pictures of the labels, which might give a hint as to the suit's age.

I thought of bidding on it, but it's already higher than I would've bid.
IMG_0132.jpg

Here's the Ebay listing:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...MEWA:IT&ih=020

The seller either doesn't know Bespoke clothes or just uses a lot of hype. The following is from his listing:

BESPOKE HANDMADE ANDERSON & SHEPPARD $12,000 SUIT (Doubtful!), PRINCE OF WALES GLENPLAID

THIS IS THE TOP OF THE LINE BESPOKE/HANDMADE ANDERSON & SHEPPARD SUIT

THIS BESPOKE SUIT BY ANDERSON & SHEPPARD COST 6000 GBP STERLING/$12,000 USD ( I doubt $12,000)

www.anderson-sheppard.co.uk, This is one of the finest suits ever offered on Ebay!

I think this guys having a laugh.

It does look like A & S but nothing matches the roll is high (could be the pressing but I doubt it) and they've even taking the blue line out of the front dart, which should have been placed an inch back in the check.

There again, I've seen worst go out the shop.

Tarmac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by tanalasta
Umm...

What's the point of paying good money for a bespoke suit on eBay.

When the bidder isn't the one the tailor originally measured out?

I agree. On ebay, I look for cheap, rtw. The less custom it is, the better.

Master Shake

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well, the suit is back in the seller's hands and has been posted again on eBay, this time at a Buy It Now of $500. Just a bit curious, no? I guess the doubters (i.e., everyone) were correct.

rnoldh

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
This seller also has a Brioni suit for sale that was previously sold:

2006 $7995 BRIONI RED LABEL PINSTRIPE MOBSTER SUIT!

Somethings not right with this sellers suit listings.

Sometimes too much hype is not a good thing. Like claiming the A & S suit is $12,000 retail. And I doubt this Brioni suit is from 2006.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 100 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 98 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads