Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

How old is this A & S suit?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by rnoldh, Sep 24, 2007.

1. rnoldh

rnoldh Senior member

Anyone have any ideas how old this A & S suit might be? It's advertised as a $12,000 A & S suit! The seller has plenty of pictures, but they are mostly repetitive, and there are no pictures of the labels, which might give a hint as to the suit's age.

I thought of bidding on it, but it's already higher than I would've bid.[​IMG]

Here's the Ebay listing:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...MEWA:IT&ih=020

The seller either doesn't know Bespoke clothes or just uses a lot of hype. The following is from his listing:

BESPOKE HANDMADE ANDERSON & SHEPPARD $12,000 SUIT (Doubtful!), PRINCE OF WALES GLENPLAID

THIS IS THE TOP OF THE LINE BESPOKE/HANDMADE ANDERSON & SHEPPARD SUIT

THIS BESPOKE SUIT BY ANDERSON & SHEPPARD COST 6000 GBP STERLING/$12,000 USD ( I doubt $12,000)

www.anderson-sheppard.co.uk, This is one of the finest suits ever offered on Ebay! (matter of opinion).

This suit will blow away any suit on the street today hands down (Slanted Savile Row Pockets and Slanted Ticket Pocket, Deep Cut Side Vents, Slim Armholes and Streamlined Shoulders). You will be the envy of everyone at the office and in town.

Completely Bespoke and Handmade ( We need to get edmorel to cut up an A & S suit to see if it is really completely handmade) on Savile Row in London. The style of this suit is unmatched and you will be the envy of everyone around you. This is not off the rack or made to measure... This suit took over 120 hours to complete ( doubtful), and it was worth every second.

This suit cost 6000 GBP Sterling or $12,000 USD. This suit was imported from London and was not sold here in the US.

Currently, there is a waiting list of 12 months to order a bespoke Anderson & Sheppard suit ( is this true?) and they start at 4000 GBP depending on cut and design, fabric etc..

Completely handmade and bespoke by the finest tailor in the UK and the top 3 worldwide.

The cut of this suit will never go out of style and can be worn in the office or for a night on the town.

2. Manton

Manton RINO Dubiously Honored

No idea how old, but there is no way it cost 6,000 pounds. They do not start at 4,000 GBP. They start at about 2,200. I'm sure Super 200s costs a lot more, but not 6K.

No, there is no waiting list, and no, the suits do no take 120 hours to make. More like 40-50. From what I have seen, they are largely handmade.

3. gnatty8

gnatty8 Senior member

I may be too picky, but that is some pretty awful pattern matching where the sleeves attach to the shoulder.

4. rnoldh

rnoldh Senior member

I may be too picky, but that is some pretty awful pattern matching where the sleeves attach to the shoulder.

You are right. The pattern matching is awful.

Maybe it's a copy of a Neapolitan thing.

A & S for iammat! I don't think so[​IMG]

5. itsstillmatt

itsstillmatt The Liberator Dubiously Honored

You are right. The pattern matching is awful. Maybe it's a copy of a Neapolitan thing. A & S for iammat! I don't think so[​IMG]
    Tsk, tsk, tsk. My sleeves match my body. It is only on the shoulders where there is no reason to match, and even good reason not to. [​IMG] FWIW, I like A&S, but don't those pockets. In general that kind is ok (not for me), but these look odd.

6. A Y

A Y Senior member

I'm pretty sure the hanger's handmade. [​IMG] --Andre

7. rnoldh

rnoldh Senior member

Beautiful coat Matt. Rubinnacci?

BTW, if the A & S suit is $12,000, then this coat should be about $10,000[​IMG] Yes.

8. Fishball

Fishball Senior member

Is it really a A & S, the pattern match is really awful. Also the pocket jetting doesn't match.
    From the cutting of the lapel, it should be pretty old style, may be early 80's.
    No way for 12,000. I think max GBP3,000 for ordinary fabrics.

9. mack11211

mack11211 Senior member

The size of the pocket flaps suggests mid 70s, and not in a good way.

10. rnoldh

rnoldh Senior member

Is it really a A & S, the pattern match is really awful. Also the pocket jetting doesn't match. From the cutting of the lapel, it should be pretty old style, may be early 80's. No way for 12,000. I think max GBP3,000 for ordinary fabrics.
    Yes, the pattern match is awful. And the seller doesn't show any label pictures. PS: The seller just Emailed me back. He says the suit is from 1973. I guess the A & S label is dated but he didn't want to show it. That would make the suit 34 years old. That sounds about right. Good guess on Macks part.

11. blauiman

blauiman Active Member

A&S would never let pattern matching like that leave the shop, Im sure the sleeves has been shortend from the shoulder (because of working cuffs) and thats why it doesnt match anymore.

blauiman

12. voxsartoria

voxsartoria Goon member

Is it really a A & S, the pattern match is really awful. Also the pocket jetting doesn't match.

Hmmm...I have always thought that matching patterns on the jetting of the out pockets were one of the differences from A&S with several other SR makers (my guy was at A&S, and this approach follows through). TM gives some lore here:

http://www.englishcut.com/archives/000126.html

I suppose there could be some variation among cutters, but still...I would be a bit suspicious.

In addition, the gorge looks all wrong to me.

- B

13. ccffm1

ccffm1 Senior member

FAIK it is almost impossible to properly pattern match the shoulders and to get a perfect fit at the same time.

14. bengal-stripe

bengal-stripe Senior member Dubiously Honored

It's one ugly suit; Nevertheless, be it hype, be it shill bidding, it currently stands at $361.00.

15. lee_44106

lee_44106 Senior member

There's suckers everywhere. Suckers who only buy brand names are particular plentiful. If only I can figure out some way to separate them from their money too.