1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

How much of SF groupthink do you actually follow?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by FidelCashflow, Feb 22, 2009.

1. benjamin831

benjamin831 Senior member

I dislike AE shoes, if that counts for anything.

2. FidelCashflow

FidelCashflow Senior member

[​IMG] How much SF groupthink do I actually follow? Enough as necessary to join the secret society.
    The guy on the end in the black suit looks like a prick.

3. PocketCircle

PocketCircle Senior member

I don't own a single piece of clothing from either Ralph Lauren or Brooks Brothers so I guess that goes against the SF customs. But then like everyone here I couldn't resist buying some Talbott socks from some SF member.

4. Composer_1777

Composer_1777 Senior member

^ thats a good one Rl + BB = SF

5. JayJay

JayJay Senior member

I must confess that SF influenced me to return to BB. I had stopped shopping there because of service issues, but after hearing a lot about them here I returned. I'm glad I did. Although I had recent service issues at 346 Madison, the service in Chicago at Michigan Avenue has been terrific.

6. ThinkDerm

ThinkDerm Senior member

ok. been on here a while. My style has not changed, but gained awareness of various brands, sales, etc.

Wore pocket squares before I came on board here, but oftentimes, it does not blend in well with those around me.

Still wear whatever denims I was wearing before (BR selvage, Energie, seven for all mankind, diesel - had many of these for a long time before I came on board).

Purchased some inco's - fit nicely.
    Found out about some tailors.

For work, I wear whatever is most comfy foot wise and pants wise :)

And I've rocked some knitted ties, which I got due to SF influence, and they got felt up by other female doctors, and envied by male mds, which has been good.

I still wear lacoste casual polos when I'm not wearing dress shirts, and this works fine for me too.

I've used this board to expand my knowledge about brands not carried much at stores such as nordstroms and bloomies, share good value purchases and such.

I do 1.75 cuffs for pleated pants and no cuff for flat fronts.

7. PocketCircle

PocketCircle Senior member

Add Zegna to that and you're right.

8. yachtie

yachtie Senior member

[​IMG] You're kidding, right?

9. globetrotter

globetrotter Senior member

Totally random but you got two pairs of MTM/MTO boots from Vass a few yrs ago, were calf or cordovan and how well have they held up to the use you've been putting them through (what kind of wear, etc).

actuallly, I knew about Vass before I knew about SF.

love them, after 4 years the uppers are like new, had to resole them once. cordovan. I pretty much wear just the two pairs all the time, I have 3 other pair of shoes, but I hardly wear the others.

10. Eccentric

Eccentric Senior member

[​IMG]

How much SF groupthink do I actually follow?

Enough as necessary to join the secret society.

Hmm, the general lack of visible cuff is disappointing...

11. EL72

EL72 Senior member

I've been wearing pocket squares, incotex, knit ties and cuffing dress pants (1.75") before SF but I admit I know cuff some cotton pants and cords due to SF influence, and I like them.

Otherwise, I still wear my black suit to evening events, don't own any AE and find Ann Hathaway ugly [​IMG]

12. Misanthropic90

Misanthropic90 Member

+1

Cue the lineup of objectors making sure that they register their individuality by finding exceptions in their wardrobe to every one of these items.

Uh but seriously

Wtf is wrong with logos? love em.

13. bellyhungry

bellyhungry Senior member

Given all the recent threaks on 'good taste' and 'rules' where the OP seems to ask for only the big timers to respond to, and given that a lot of new members have joined...just thought I would revive this thread to let the non big timers to chime in freely.

How closely do you follow the general SF rules/groupthink?

Last edited: Jul 31, 2012
  14. FillW

FillW Senior member

I'm too new to be influenced very much...

I do dig the pocketsquare advice/ideas though.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2012
  15. JayJay

JayJay Senior member

This, too, will pass. :laugh:

16. gyasih

gyasih Senior member

I have followed the herd in regard to many of the English RTW shoes. My ties would all be considered SF approved now.

17. fritzl

fritzl Senior member

this is really disgusting..., anyway, it will not last long, imo.

18. SpooPoker

SpooPoker Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

You have done really well with your shoe game. You need to post a family pic.

19. gyasih

gyasih Senior member

I will, but I am sorting it all out. Right now trying to decide between G&G Hanley, EG Asquith or Wells or a pair of C&J hand grades (Rosemoore or Weymouth) or two benchgrades. And trying to get rid of a few.

20. Gauss17

Gauss17 Senior member

I must admit I have probably moved away from wearing black clothing due to SF, but I still have two pairs of black shoes (well a shoe and a boot). I have also added (likely) far too many pocket squares to my wardrobe. I do not however care much for lasts with pointier toes or slim-fitting pants. Straight cut is about my limit.

...the more I think about it though, I bet most of my "Mens Clothing" brands are SF approved.