• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How much of SF groupthink do you actually follow?

binge

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Bird's One View
I knew a guy into taxidermy who had a cat. Big hit at parties. Perhaps a small taxidermied kitten could sit in the pocket, else I might go with a rodent of some sort.

I meant "stuffed animal" as understood by children. Not a corpse.

Composer_1777

Reaction score
I think someone needs to post the definition of group think; then we can have some proper responses.

randallr

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Composer_1777
I think someone needs to post the definition of group think; then we can have some proper responses.

It's when everyone wants to agree on something because it's easier. So the group becomes less creative and accepts their discovered truths as undeniable fact. Like if you liked wingtips and SF didn't overtime you may not like them either.

Go Surface

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Shared beliefs, indoctrinated. You see it mostly in collectivist cultures, or in religious fundamentalists.

Bird's One View

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by binge
I meant "stuffed animal" as understood by children. Not a corpse.

laugh.gif

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
2" cuffs, which actually flow quite well with the trimmer pants that are popular on this board, which i also like.

I feel AE are well overrated, I like my ferragamos, RL Italian made shoes, and Aldens much much more.

I was obsessed with pocket squares before i was on this board, and actually liked AE's much more then i do now. I wear them, but they arent my favorites,

Overall i feel this has helped to improve my looks alot, it was rough at first, but overall helpful with the brutal often advice lacking generalized criticism, but in the end it was helpful.

FidelCashflow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
We've already got the definition. As far as examples, there's plenty of groupthink abound on SF. 1) Black suits are wrong 2) Allen Edmond shoes are attractive 3) Windsor knots are bad 4) Any jacket that isn't canvassed is unacceptable 5) Unbuttoning jacket sleeve buttons is wrong 6) Paying retail for anything means you got ripped off 7) Recognizable logo's are never acceptable

holymadness

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by FidelCashflow
We've already got the definition. As far as examples, there's plenty of groupthink abound on SF.

1) Black suits are wrong
2) Allen Edmond shoes are attractive
3) Windsor knots are bad
4) Any jacket that isn't canvassed is unacceptable
5) Unbuttoning jacket sleeve buttons is wrong
6) Paying retail for anything means you got ripped off
7) Recognizable logo's are never acceptable

+1

Cue the lineup of objectors making sure that they register their individuality by finding exceptions in their wardrobe to every one of these items.

Xiaogou

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Nobody challenges the majority opinion--they want to go along and get along. Look it up in the context of International Relations--very detailed. Most people attributed the Bush Administration with group think, especially on the NIE.

Xiaogou

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
We've already got the definition. As far as examples, there's plenty of groupthink abound on SF.

1) Black suits are wrong
3) Windsor knots are bad

I have come to agree with the group think here in regards to black suits. It is frustrating because if you go to various websites for Business Schools--they have a dress code for class or for presentations. In black and white it says that grey, navy and BLACK suits are appropriate for business wear. IMO, this only contributes to the problem.

+1 on the AE.

Disagree on the Windson Knot. IMO, the knot should match the collar.

Canvassed--Oxxford doesn't use a full canvas.

+1 on sleeve buttons.

Retail--I pay retail. I don't want to compromise fit or selection. I like to save $ where I can, but people that buy custom clothes and bespoke shoes aren't looking for a bargain!!

+1 on logos.

DocHolliday

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

1) Black suits are wrong
3) Windsor knots are bad

I would think the consensus on AEs is that most are ugly but they're good quality, or traditionally have been. (Was reading some complaints earlier tonight, and haven't looked at AE in a long time to know.)

Other than that, I'd fully endorse 1 and 3.

mikemas22

Reaction score
For me it's a natural shoulder line in my suits and odd jackets (I used to sport natural and structured, but now I order natural only). And no more deep v-necks
biggrin.gif
And speaking of the majority of SFers, if I may, I guess the groupthink is to have sprezzatura, yet hardly anyone does it. And the most praise usually goes to outfits with NO sprezzatura at all and UTTER 'studiedness'. Correct me if I'm wrong. But overall it's a nice experience.

Zenny

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm in a quantum-state of both following all and following none.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads