• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How much did you pay for your wife's/fiancee's engagement ring?

Kid Nickels

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
don't care how much that stone cost, it looks like crap,
quality > quantity
in fact that looks like a cubic zirconia

cosign, that ring looks like ****.

ya +1... just got my girl's ring cleaned & polished. Try to post pix soon & hope it gets better feedback!

HORNS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

I'm planning one that looks like this.

Currently setting some money aside for stone.

I see you're shopping, and making decisions in a vacuum. That ring looks like **** and its twin can be found on the little turning racks on the counters in the Macy's jewelry department.

Seriously, mordecai, don't do it.

Kid Nickels

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I see you're shopping, and making decisions in a vacuum. That ring looks like **** and its twin can be found on the little turning racks on the counters in the Macy's jewelry department.
Seriously, mordecai, don't do it.

sorry I have to +1 that sentiment. That ring is terrible... looks like something that came out of a claw machine at mini-golf arcade. And I would not go with yellow gold... it's kind of dated. Anything you find can be rhodium (platinum) plated to give it a more modern look.

Last edited:

Gibonius

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

sorry I have to +1 that sentiment. That ring is terrible... looks like something that came out of a claw machine at mini-golf arcade. And I would not go with yellow gold... it's kind of dated. Anything you find can be rhodium (platinum) plated to give it a more modern look.

Some women prefer yellow gold. If your future wife wears mostly yellow gold, you'd be stupid to buy white just because it's trendy.

Kid Nickels

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Some women prefer yellow gold. If your future wife wears mostly yellow gold, you'd be stupid to buy white just because it's trendy.

of course.... I didn't mean that at all as far as trendiness. Just seems that those rings I do see in yellow have a dated look regardless...perhaps its the expected customer or taste of said customers. I like yellow gold just fine for some things... perhaps my dislike of that ring just exacerbated the point of it being yellow gold...however I would still find it hideous in white gold. If she prefers yellow gold, it fits her look and complexion and that's what she wears then by all means go with yellow.

Reaction score

Jaysus...
I'm helping a friend look for a ring. He has $5k and that won't even get a quality .91 ct solitaire in a white gold setting...

You have to be a savvy shopper and head to the jewelry district of your city. That is if you do live in a city. If you don't, look up MonteCarloClub the seller on ebay or DinoDiamonds. You can get something really nice for 5k. Try 18k white gold, 1 carat center, at least E VS1 or VS2.

Good luck!

Reaction score

Hi hope you guys can help me out. I'm looking to buy a 1.25 carat G color triple excellent round brilliant engagement ring and GIA certified ring, do you guys have any idea of what price I should be purchasing it at? What is the lowest and highest price that I should pay? Please let me know thanks

Call Ann & Sam's Jewelry in the Tustin Marketplace in Tustin, CA. They can custom make an awesome ring with a pretty great price.

Gibonius

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

You have to be a savvy shopper and head to the jewelry district of your city. That is if you do live in a city. If you don't, look up MonteCarloClub the seller on ebay or DinoDiamonds. You can get something really nice for 5k. Try 18k white gold, 1 carat center, at least E VS1 or VS2.
Good luck!

"At least E" ? Considering you can only go up to D, that's a pretty damn high standard.

People have probably talked about this before in this thread, but color is one of those subjective things. It's not as easy as "D is best," especially considering the huge price premiums. I showed my wife a lineup of diamonds, and she picked an H color over the whiter stones.

Kid Nickels

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

"At least E" ? Considering you can only go up to D, that's a pretty damn high standard.
People have probably talked about this before in this thread, but color is one of those subjective things. It's not as easy as "D is best," especially considering the huge price premiums. I showed my wife a lineup of diamonds, and she picked an H color over the whiter stones.

this is totally correct... D, E, F are colorless... G, H, I are effectively colorless to the untrained eye and unless the person looking at it is a f'g diamond broker w/ a jeweler's loop attached to his head no one will say "oh that's not a D or E" grade. Of the four C's cut is most important... period.

Rockwell

Reaction score
I paid 6k for a 1.something carat diamond in a platinum ring. Personally, I think diamonds are overrated but I still bought it because she liked it. My wedding band is tungsten (great on the pocket book) while her's is a platinum ring with small diamonds going all the way around it (2.2k). She doesn't wear them that often anymore, mostly when we go out and stuff. But what they say is true, women love their diamonds. Last year she bought a Philip stein watch with diamonds all around the bezel and that hurt the pocket book at 3.5k. But, she is happy, as am I.

redcorvette

Reaction score
I paid a little over $3000. Don't remember exactly. But I got a great ring, platinum knife edge solitaire with a 0.7 cara VS1 clarity princess cut diamond. I saved good money because I bought online at James Allen. You end up paying a lot more for the same ring if you buy at a store. Online stores don't have overhead so the customer saved. I know a bit about jewelry cause I used to work in jewelry.

The price of diamonds is going up too. I would have spent more, but my wife isn't into big diamonds and didn't want something heavy. I agree with imploy said about american women being materialistic and wearing 6 ct rings.

Kid Nickels

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
materialistic or not I think the number of women walking around with 6 carat rocks is quite small.

impolyt_one

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score

if she got hair like that on her fingers, what does she look like down there? :foo:

And mordecai, engagements aren't the kind of time you pick 'unique' rings - get her something simple classic and then get the quirky rings later as gifts. As long as they're not diamonds they're much cheaper anyway and just 'cocktail rings'

Bhowie

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

if she got hair like that on her fingers, what does she look like down there? :foo:
And mordecai, engagements aren't the kind of time you pick 'unique' rings - get her something simple classic and then get the quirky rings later as gifts. As long as they're not diamonds they're much cheaper anyway and just 'cocktail rings'

She had on a leather skirt and had a lot of hair on her arms. I like that a lot. That means a big bush. I like a big bush.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads