1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

How much did you pay for your wife's/fiancee's engagement ring?

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by merkur, Nov 26, 2011.

1. Fraiche

Fraiche Senior member

The pleasure a woman gets when she says that she got an engagement ring from Tiffany's may be worth the price to individuals. It's like fulfilling their princess dream.

Men think of utility and value. That stuff really isn't worth nearly as much to women.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2012
  2. deepitm

deepitm Senior member

Agreed. Also, I can sell my ring for what I bought it for. And I shopped at the wholesale, jeweler's row places and my ring would've cost the same. Colorless, GIA, round, VS, as you get over a carat prices increase exponentially. So I would be surprised if In stitches could replicate the setting/ring and diamond for 9k.

3. dbhdnhdbh

dbhdnhdbh Senior member

After >30 years, we agree that the ring cost $100. We just cannot agree on whether I paid for it, or she bought it herself.

By the way. Did no one wonder why the guy who paid cash did that? Was this a stolen ring? Or paid for with stolen cash? Wouldn't a conventional credit card/cashiers check transaction have been safer?

4. anakin

anakin Well-Known Member

I don't think it's good to feed the feeble-minded by encouraging their behavior.

5. GusW

GusW Senior member Dubiously Honored

Try Blue Nile for online purchases of Eng. rings. They are the largest online retailer because of price and service. Great values.

6. SkinnyGoomba

SkinnyGoomba Senior member

$12,000 at DeBeers, and went back for wedding bands.

Say what you want about brands, but brand value significantly increases resale value (god forbid!) On a jewelers row type ring I would expect to resell at wholesale or below wholesale.

Tiffany did not really impress me in anything under about $20k, I felt like they often chose diamond qualities that were a little less than desired for the pricing. Cartier and DeBeers offered a bit more quality, though they are still charging a premium.

They also do things like rolled bands, which are a quality level above what most jewelers can provide.

The box and presentation were superb. Something that is important to me and also something most jewelers can't provide.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2012
  7. Coors Light

Coors Light Member

$17k for 1.7 carat, GIA cert. E, VVS.

Quality over quantity.

8. Cary Grant

Cary Grant Senior member

Because 1.8c would have been too much...

9. Kid Nickels

Kid Nickels Senior member

and it's the same reason women will pay $150 for a pair of Uggs made in China for $3, or some plasticky, crappy bag from Gucci (also I have begun to suspect MIC) for $2K that is worth a quarter of that or Kate Spade, Pandora, Michael Kors, Paige or SFAM denim.. the list goes on and on and on. I would just be disappointed to feel the pressure to succumb to what is essentially marketing. that's why you're exactly right when you say it's a dream... a real princess is not legitimated by a little blue box....

10. GusW

GusW Senior member Dubiously Honored

^^^ That is guy talk. It may be logical but try and use logic to figure out females. Good luck :)

11. Cary Grant

Cary Grant Senior member

Disagree. Sure some buy simply on name but many buy for the emotional connection to Tiffany's, the history, the movies... Family tradition. An engagement ring is one of the most cherished possessions of any woman. Spending for those emotions means more than the quality of the stone.

To associate that Tiffany's, who do their own cutting and grading and maintain an aura of service is the same as sweatshop labor is a real stretch.

12. SkinnyGoomba

SkinnyGoomba Senior member

Nickles, Most things that you buy are marketed to you, all of a sudden you are worried about it? I don't see any of this whining in the shoe pron thread, but something special for your love and you want to save a buck.

I dn't expect to buy a pair of lobbs at the cost of a calf hide anymore than I expect to buy a name brand ring at the cost of materials.

13. Kid Nickels

Kid Nickels Senior member

Cary and Skinny ... that's not quite what I meant and I'll admit the analogy is not entirely cogent, but I suspect that throughout their history Tiffany's has procured diamonds for years and sat on them just like DeBeers and more recently Alrosa and Firestone... and I think we all know the labor employed to attain them could be analogized sufficiently to my examples.
    Really all I'm saying is that I don't think Tiffany adds THAT much inherent value aside from the marketing whereas from the materials and craftsmanship I would say that Lobbs are closer to being worth the price whereas a $650 pair of Guccis is a joke.
    and no I'm not cheap. I have a ring I dropped about $7.5K... I don't have all the stats and shit off the top of my head but it's something like a round brilliant G, VS1 something something... central rock is like 1.07 w/ about 46 points around it and that's not including the band. and yes I have bought things at Tiffany's... just not diamonds. that's all. NO :stirpot:

Last edited: Dec 9, 2012
  14. Fraiche

Fraiche Senior member

Exactly. They are not logical creatures like we are.

I guarantee you that if you got something from Tiffany's versus Bluenile for most girls, the reaction, whether justified or not, will be a world of difference.

15. eglbc

eglbc Senior member

1500, got a custom designed artisnal ring from todd pownell.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 13, 2012
    1 person likes this.
  16. acularw

acularw Senior member

Has anyone looked at some of the non-Diamond precious stone options for engagement rings? Between the blood diamond issue and the fact that everyone goes the diamond route I am leaning towards something different...

17. Cary Grant

Cary Grant Senior member

And how does the misses feel about that?

18. mafoofan

mafoofan Senior member Dubiously Honored

The answer: too much. It was 2007 and everything was looking up, up, up. Oops.

I bought the diamond from a broker who had the specific cut from the specific cutter that I wanted. Then I took it to a few different jewelers to look at setting options.

I would not buy a Tiffany engagement ring. Honestly, beyond the huge premium (100% more than what you'd pay for the same stone yourself), the workmanship on their mass-produced rings is pretty awful. The pave is a joke. Unless you are buying one of their one-off or special collection pieces, you're getting a mold-made setting off an assembly line. Sucks. It's the equivalent of a fused, RTW Armani Collezioni suit. Cartier and Harry Winston do a much better job. At least their pave settings are properly hand-wrought--but they will both admit, with some prodding, that they don't do the work themselves. Guess who does? Some dudes in the Diamond District. I looked into some Europe-based jewelers as well. Apparently, the best pave work is done in New York City these days. That's where everyone commissions their work. If you can do some moderate sleuthing, you can figure out where to go, save tons of money, and get your girl a better diamond in a better ring.

If you are going to spend big money on a stone, find a skilled jeweler who does truly bespoke, hand-wrought work to do it justice. It is potentially much more delicate and refined looking than mold-made work. But here's the key: make sure whatever method the jeweler uses, he is making a custom, one-off setting sized to your diamond(s). You don't want a mass-produced piece that's just had its prongs adjusted. A true custom setting must be made--you can't just pick it out from the display case. This particularly important if you are doing pave. Pave in pre-made settings with uniformly-sized spaces looks terrible since each pave stone is a slightly different size.

My biggest mistake was insisting on a D colorless diamond with VVS2+ clarity. I paid a stupidly huge premium for that. I could have easily gone with a G-color stone and VS2 that would look just as nice but been either half the price or 50% bigger.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2012
    1 person likes this.
  19. itsstillmatt

itsstillmatt Senior member Dubiously Honored

I paid very, very little.

20. mafoofan

mafoofan Senior member Dubiously Honored

I needed leverage.