• CALLING ON HOME SEWERS TO HELP HEALTHCARE WORKERS FIGHTING COVID-19

The lack of proper masks, gowns, and eyewear equipment is making it difficult for health workers to do their work fighting the novel coronavirus. In a recent New York Times article, medical workers said they were worried about how they can both fight the coronavirus without imperiling themselves, as well as their loved ones when they go back home.

If you are a home sewer, please consider helping my joining Hickey Freman Technical Vice President Jeffery Diduch in his effort to produce and deliver homemade gowns and masks to medical professionals in the greater Rochester, New York Area. Read about how you can help here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

How much did you pay for your wife's/fiancee's engagement ring?

contactme_11

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
$4500.00, by today's prices I guess that would be close to $6000.

Last edited:

FLMountainMan

White Hispanic
Reaction score
My fiancee was really cool about the whole thing. I was really blunt and told her "I have X amount of disposable income every month. If you wait until X, I can afford this much. If you wait until X, I can afford this much." She wound up just wanting me to buy it ASAP (If she hadn't, I'd honestly have reconsidered proposing). So I bought a $1900 ring from her Uncle, who owns a jewelry store.

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

whiteslashasian

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

My fiancee was really cool about the whole thing. I was really blunt and told her "I have X amount of disposable income every month. If you wait until X, I can afford this much. If you wait until X, I can afford this much." She wound up just wanting me to buy it ASAP (If she hadn't, I'd honestly have reconsidered proposing). So I bought a $1900 ring from her Uncle, who owns a jewelry store.

Sounds like a cool gf, fiance, future wife.

She knows it's more important to have you and be together than have "that rock". She also know you'll be good for a bigger one down the road ;)

impolyt_one

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
when I was shopping for a ring, google brought up purseforum - they have a non-discussion thread solely for posting pics of your ring. I guess all the high rolling SF'ers wives post over there, because there were some massive rocks, I was seeing American women nonchalantly post up 5 or 6 carats. What world do those people live in?

whiteslashasian

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

when I was shopping for a ring, google brought up purseforum - they have a non-discussion thread solely for posting pics of your ring. I guess all the high rolling SF'ers wives post over there, because there were some massive rocks, I was seeing American women nonchalantly post up 5 or 6 carats. What world do those people live in?

Jaysus...

I'm helping a friend look for a ring. He has $5k and that won't even get a quality .91 ct solitaire in a white gold setting...

impolyt_one

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
$5K is more like, a really nice .5ct solitaire, me thinks.... he should look at .5cts though, even a half carat shows very nicely even compared side by side with a 1ct. The size differences are microscopic.

impolyt_one

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
that's the ring i got. All of them show pretty large for even the smaller center stones, it's a great design and pretty satisfying IMO. The 'starting' price they list on the site though - completely unrealistic, they don't actually have anything near that in the nationwide inventory....

Gibonius

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I put a lot of time in looking at the online places that specialize in extremely high quality cuts. I ended up spending around $4k (and I was a grad student at the time) for a 0.70 carat stone and setting. The setting would be a lot more expensive now, with the price of gold and all. You can get some really nice stones for less than most people would think if you look around and especially if you're willing to go online. The one I ended up buying is really, really nice and was about the same price as a significantly inferior jewelry store stone.

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score
this is the one I got (the photographer thought it would be a good idea to stick it in some flowers, not me)

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

WHICH TYPE OF SNEAKERS WORK BEST ON A FIRST DATE?

• Classic Leather Low-Top

• Canvas Plimsoll

• Leather Slip-On

• Canvas Slip-On

• Athletic Kicks

• Leather High-Top

Results are only viewable after voting.