• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How much did you pay for your wife's/fiancee's engagement ring?

mordecai

Immoderator
Reaction score
I'm planning one that looks like this.

Currently setting some money aside for stone.

Last edited:

ineffable

Reaction score

I paid approx. $10,000 and went wholesale. Got a 2.00 center stone (VS quality), E color, from a diamond broker in LA (no tax) with another .75 in side stones. It was my second marriage so I had to go better. ... still together 9 yrs later

Any info on the specific broker you used or how to get in touch with a broker? Going to LA in a couple of months, might want to look at some diamonds.

TIA.

blackstone

Reaction score
i paid $5k and got it valued the same day at $7.5k.
couldnt afford more at the time as i was earning $30k working in mexico

impolyt_one

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
That's still quite a lot, you should be proud of it as a purchase.

jawboneofa

Reaction score
I went to the aunt of a good friend of mine in LA's diamond district. Got a quality (great color, couple small inclusions) .91 carat solitaire stone in white gold for $1650. My fiancee wanted something simple, would have been pissed if I had spent more than 2 grand, and loves it.

Jenaimarr

Reaction score

I picked up the wifey's ring last year from Harry Winston (1.25ct, VS1, F, in plat). They were asking mid 20s for it but I got them to discount it a bit.

I went a bit nuts on pricescope doing my research on stones for about a half a year and no surprise, HW carried one of the best quality stones I could find.

Dempsy444

Reaction score
I spent a lot for her diamond but I absolutely got the most for my money. I was careful to research the market and ensure that I got the most diamond for the money. After going to a lot of the normal retail stores - Tiffany's, De Beers, leading local jewelry stores, as well as the San Francisco Diamond center and even Blue-nile online, I settled on a well respected wholesaler in the nob hill district of San Francisco. People I know who don't need to worry about money use him. I found that he was able to get me a diamond at about 60% of the price of retail. If I had bought my ring at Tiffany it would have easily been double the price and maybe more. In the end, I was able to get a GIA certified and inscribed princess cut diamond with the following specs: 2.2 Carat, F grade color, VS2 grade clarity, and with table size and depth in almost perfect balance, enabling maximized sparkle (this is an important detail to look for in a diamond, as it increases its presence, enabling even a smaller diamond to look bigger.)

My advice to anyone looking for an engagement ring is, don't be lazy and just go into a store and drop the money because you can get a lot more for your budget if you are judicious and thoughtful about it. Start early, do your homework, take your time, and don't make impulse decisions. Also, use blue-nile to bargain your price down. They make a great iPhone app that can save you thousands when bargaining.

blackstone

Reaction score
Tiffany's is a complete rip off. if i had bought one there with the same clarity, colour and carat i would have paid $25k not $5k.

in the end my fiancee was happy with the size of the diamond than she would have been with the Tiffany's name.

gort

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's all about the box! :D

I've heard stories of people selling the blue box by itself on e-bay for decent cash. C/D?

Jenaimarr

Reaction score

Tiffany's is a complete rip off. if i had bought one there with the same clarity, colour and carat i would have paid $25k not $5k.

in the end my fiancee was happy with the size of the diamond than she would have been with the Tiffany's name.

I was less than impressed with Tiffany's inventory as well. With all the cut, carat, clarity, and colour parameters equal, most of their diamonds seem to be on the lower end of the quality scale in terms of table/depth proportions, crown/pavillion angles, position/type of inclusions, etc. My guess is that getting the higher quality diamonds would eat too much into their already inflated margins.

Mandres

Reaction score
I put a down payment on our house instead. We both wear simple white gold bands and couldn't be happier. Don't buy into the hype, or marry a girl who does.

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads