1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

How many miles did you run today?

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by MonkeyFresh, Jun 25, 2008.

1. clarinetplayer

clarinetplayer Senior member

2.5 miles, this morning, in the cold, cold rain. Temperature around 44 degrees. Whither Spring art thou?

I, who always laughed and scoffed at people did yoga, have begun yoga. After only a few sessions, I can tell that there is an improvement in my wretched, arthritic hip and shoulder. For me, this has been a good thing. I'm not running faster, but the stiffness and pain are greatly reduced. I'm hopeful for more progress.

3 people like this.
  2. SirGrotius

SirGrotius Senior member

6.35 miles. Felt good after a day off yesterday.

3. jarude

jarude Senior member

6.5km / 4mi this morning... started pissing rain halfway through. After a few short weeks I'm acclimatizing pretty well; 3km kicked my ass the first time I went out about a month ago, but this was pretty smooth.

I'm still squatting 3x/week so the first half of the run is getting over the DOMS and the second half finally starts to feel OK. We'll see how long that's sustainable...

Last edited: May 15, 2014
  4. SirGrotius

SirGrotius Senior member

Stupid question -DOMS?

5. Michigan Planner

Michigan Planner Senior member

I've been considering yoga for a while but never actually gotten around to it. A friend owns a yoga studio in Detroit (right down the street from Run Detroit) and is offering a "Yoga for Runners" class starting later this month that I am thinking about checking out.

2 people like this.
  6. sugarbutch

sugarbutch Senior member Dubiously Honored

I've only done it a couple of times, but yoga seems like a great complement to running.

Easy 3 for me this morning, my fifth consecutive day. That's new for me. I've also added some dynamic stretching to my warm-up the past couple of days. Seems to help with the groin tightness I've had since injury this winter. It's also using some muscles which apparently haven't been getting much use. Yowza.

7. clarinetplayer

The place over on Forest?

I took the yoga plunge only quite by accident. I learned that the brother of a former personal trainer was a yoga teacher. A UM grad, he explained, in his biography, that he was had several sports related injuries and that yoga helped restore the muscles. He was tired of taking pain pills. All this got my attention, so I gave it a try. He is a good teacher which, as in anything, makes all the difference. He practices a form of Bikraim Yoga. To my surprise, I am quite flexible and was able to do the first set of 26 poses with mostly no problem. I was expecting to be sore as heck the day after. Instead, my pained shoulder felt normal for the first time in months. I'm hoping for the same restoration in my right hip. While still tight, I found that I was able to run with greater ease than before. I'm a big adherent of the "Inner Game" philsophy--all those books like "The Inner Game of Tennis", "The Inner Game of Golf", etc.... And, even, "The Inner Game of Music" which applies the principles from sporting books to music. The central issue in all of them is being more aware of the body. What are you thinking when you do something etc.... Yoga seems to be closely linked to such an approach.

1 person likes this.
  8. blahspam

blahspam Senior member

First triple digit run of the summer... Bit over 6 miles in 102 degrees. Caught a friend as he was starting his second lap and he set a nice mellow pace.

Wasn't as bad as I expected but my attempt to push hard the last half mile almost made me puke, heh.

1 person likes this.
  9. clarinetplayer

This morning, 4 miles. Temp, 36 degrees. Had to wear my mittens.

10. Beatlegeuse

Beatlegeuse Senior member

3.5 miles today, felt unseasonably cool, perfect running weather.

11. Michigan Planner

Michigan Planner Senior member

5.7 miles for me and I took had my mittens (and wool cap) on. I guess I'm fortunate that I forgot to put those items away when I put away the rest of my winter running gear earlier this week.

12. chrisp1131

chrisp1131 Member

2 miles on the treadmill

13. jarude

jarude Senior member

Delayed onset muscle soreness... The pain you get the day after a good workout.

1 person likes this.
  14. sugarbutch

If we could just average out the temps in San Francisco and Michigan over the past few days, it would be perfect!

15. SirGrotius

SirGrotius Senior member

5.5 miles today. Was a murderous slug

16. blahspam

blahspam Senior member

Another 6 miles in a comparatively brisk 98 degrees... felt much worse than yesterday. These first few weeks of summer temps are always the worst.

17. Fueco

Fueco Senior member

6.5 miles with temps in the mid 80s. Good times! It's supposed to be cooler tomorrow and Sunday!

18. sugarbutch

Are you doing Bay To Breakers, Fueco?

19. Fueco

Fueco Senior member

Nope. Just two long rides and a run this weekend.

1 person likes this.
  20. SirGrotius

SirGrotius Senior member

6.25 miles in 51 minutes, which is FAST for my slow ass. My wife was griefing on me for running and leaving her with the kids, so I wanted to make it a quick one ;)

Beautiful weather outside of Philadelphia, slow 60s to start the run in the morning.

2 people like this.