• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How many miles did you run today?

wingin' it

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
7.8 miles w/ fartleks tonite.

How exactly do you taper?
Key is to keep the intensity high but the mileage low. Do short intervals at your marathon pace.

Morefire basically has it right from what I have heard. Less volume, same intensity. The risk is over tapering and losing proper muscle tension in your legs. That is why it is good to run moderately quickly during the taper.

Exactly as you say - high (for me) intensity, low mileage.

To add from the McMillan website:

Mistake No. 3: Resting too much during your taper
Many runners change their training rhythm too much during their peaking phase. They rest so much that they get sluggish and stale — the way you always feel after a few days off. On marathon day, they feel mentally and physically slow.

Fix No. 3: Stay sharp
The body likes routine. Let the body and mind rest, but don’t take a vacation from training. Maintain your frequency of running during your peaking phase (one additional day off is allowed) and your intensity, but simply reduce your volume of running as the race nears. A good rule is to reduce your volume 20 to 30 percent in each of the last two weeks before your race. Don’t waste your race in training but certainly keep the body ready for fast running with a few key workouts.

quevola

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

5 nice easy recovery miles this morning, ended in rain which is awesome.
quevola, what marathon?

Long Beach Marathon in California.

Agree with what everyone has said about tapering. I ran 3 miles with 6x100 strides @ 5k pace tonight.

samblackbones

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
quevola - I will be running the 5k at long beach this weekend. I will be cheering you on coming down the chute. Remember that the last 400 meters are straight downhill! I have only ran the half in long beach, but be sure to arrive very early in order to start towards the front and get some porta john access. Good luck. It looks to be cooling off.

Equus Leather

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score

7.8 miles w/ fartleks tonite.
To add from the McMillan website:
Mistake No. 3: Resting too much during your taper
Many runners change their training rhythm too much during their peaking phase. They rest so much that they get sluggish and stale — the way you always feel after a few days off. On marathon day, they feel mentally and physically slow.
Fix No. 3: Stay sharp
The body likes routine. Let the body and mind rest, but don’t take a vacation from training. Maintain your frequency of running during your peaking phase (one additional day off is allowed) and your intensity, but simply reduce your volume of running as the race nears. A good rule is to reduce your volume 20 to 30 percent in each of the last two weeks before your race. Don’t waste your race in training but certainly keep the body ready for fast running with a few key workouts.

Thanks for the tips everyone. 3 miles @ 7.55 last night - a last fast run

CalTex

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
2 miles warmup @ 8 min/mi
800m x 4 @ 3:50 min
1 mile cool down @ 8:20

Last edited:

clarinetplayer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This morning, 3 miles. Average pace: 6'40"

NewYorkIslander

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
5.6 miles after work run home...Indian Summer here. MMM, Bagels and Lox, the one thing I really miss most about going gluten free are REAL bagels, but I rarely ever ate them...maybe a couple times a year. Anyway, testing the new iPhone camera features:
EE366492-83CE-45E8-BA2D-0EC8D970B2CF-7185-00000949C85094D7.jpg

wingin' it

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
10.1 miles today with a tempo run. Still hate tempo's, but really ran this one well with pace on the fast end and mileage on the long end.
Only a few tough runs left until big race.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads