• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How many miles did you run today?

sugarbutch

Bearded Prick
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Opener + workout
F4A2F0C1-2AD7-4B17-8DEC-5BC824BD6B51.jpeg
203E08AF-06C8-4B5A-ABB9-6132812F34C3.jpeg

Michigan Planner

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
7.2 miles this morning at an 8:57/mile pace. Temps were in the low 40s which is exceptionally warm here for this time of year. I don't mind the pleasant temps when I'm outside running, but I am sort of also missing the actual feel of winter.

I ran through another little neighborhood where I had neve been before and saw this house which looked even stranger in person (the big pine tree right in front of the house in Google Street View has been removed). It reminded me of a ranch version of the house from Beetlejuice.

1673531890536.png

1673531913907.png

sugarbutch

Bearded Prick
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
On the advice of friends who have done BWR, I am trying to do more of my indoor rides without a fan to get some heat adaptation. It seems to put my HR near or at the top of the indicated range, and if I turn on the fan, my HR comes down pretty quickly (as much as 10 bpm). Today I did the full hour without the fan and was a puddle at the end. :)
1673585946983.png

Althis

Supporting Member
Reaction score
On the advice of friends who have done BWR, I am trying to do more of my indoor rides without a fan to get some heat adaptation. It seems to put my HR near or at the top of the indicated range, and if I turn on the fan, my HR comes down pretty quickly (as much as 10 bpm). Today I did the full hour without the fan and was a puddle at the end. :)

I've done BWR, it's luck of the draw on weather. Focus a lot on nutrition and pacing. Stop at every aid station. Tire choice is also important as you need to balance the road/off-road efficiency

Me in the red about 110 miles in, was a long day. Finished 123rd overall
1673638666319.png

especially after this happened 20 miles in
1673638743321.png

Last edited:

Michigan Planner

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I got a ride in today - a spinning ride at the gym. The little thing on the bike said I did 12.7 miles during the 45 minute class. I don't know about power or zones or anything like that but I was an absolute puddle at the end. It was a good workout.

sugarbutch

Bearded Prick
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I've done BWR, it's luck of the draw on weather. Focus a lot on nutrition and pacing. Stop at every aid station. Tire choice is also important as you need to balance the road/off-road efficiency

Me in the red about 110 miles in, was a long day. Finished 123rd overall
View attachment 1878133

especially after this happened 20 miles in
View attachment 1878134
I am definitely working on nutrition. My target is 70-90g of carbs per hour. I did a sort of trial run back in October, really focused on eating throughout the day, and it made a huge difference compared to previous long days. On the tire side, I’m willing to be a bit slower on the road to have extra security in the dirt. Not crashing is very high on my list of objectives. :)

Today was supposed to be a rest day, but I was bored and ate too much, so I did a low-key hour to balance things out.
1673666457104.png

Michigan Planner

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
13.2 miles this morning at my slow 11:00-12:00/mile pace. One thing I’ve learned about these long slow runs is that they really tend to tire my arms out more than my legs or anything else. Constantly hold my forearms up and swinging them over such a relatively longer time than I’m used to for these distances takes a toll on them.

I always make is a point to do one pull-up post run for each mile I’ve run that morning and they are a lot more difficult to do after these long, slow days.

Althis

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am definitely working on nutrition. My target is 70-90g of carbs per hour. I did a sort of trial run back in October, really focused on eating throughout the day, and it made a huge difference compared to previous long days. On the tire side, I’m willing to be a bit slower on the road to have extra security in the dirt. Not crashing is very high on my list of objectives. :)

Nice that's a good plan! Probably a 35mm tire would be a good all around choice. Also try to always be in a group

Today's run before the rain
1673719338108.png

Cycling Sasquatch

Reaction score
No run, but second ride since moving to the Czech Republic from San Diego in November (long story).

I've been running easily 4-5x as much as I used to, and it's crazy how even a couple weeks of long, slow distance Z2 runs has improved my spin game. I've always been guilty of cranking it hard down in the big gears at around 80-90rpm, but today - even being grossly out of cycling shape - I was pushing a consistent 115+rpm most of the time, with plenty of gas left in the tank. Stayed Z3 even when hammering down in the drops on the flats and not holding back on the many, many hills.

IMG_3623.jpg

Fueco

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Today was supposed to be a rest day, but I was bored and ate too much, so I did a low-key hour to balance things out.
View attachment 1878308

How long do you anticipate BWR taking you? 90g of carbs per hour is an awful lot if you’re out there for less than a day. During RAAM, my wife was targeting350-450 calories per hour, for eleven days. For one day races, you don’t need to go too crazy, especially if you’re adequately fueld before the ride.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 105 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 104 36.5%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 37 13.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 42 14.7%

Forum statistics

Threads