• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • Last Day to save 20% sitewide at Kirby Allison's annual Father's Day Sale! !

Kirby Allison is one of Styleforum's original success stories, beginning long ago with Kirby;s Hanger Project. Every year, Kirby holds a Father's Day Sale featuring some of the best accessories and shoe care products in the world. Take this opportunity to get something for your father, grandfather, or yourself, at a rare 20% discount (discount taken automatically at the checkout). See if you find that perfect hanger, shoe cream, or watch case here

Enjoy

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How many miles did you run today?

jbarwick

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@Michigan Planner - 11/12min mi seems pretty slow even for you. I'd assume your Z2 pace would be in the 9-10 range. I don't know if I could do 11/12 on the flats as the only time I recall really slowing down was when trying to nose breathe an entire run which takes practice.

I got in 5miles yesterday in the neighborhood. Surprised I wasn't too gassed on the hill given I am mostly a flat lander these days.

Fueco

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
@Michigan Planner - 11/12min mi seems pretty slow even for you. I'd assume your Z2 pace would be in the 9-10 range. I don't know if I could do 11/12 on the flats as the only time I recall really slowing down was when trying to nose breathe an entire run which takes practice.

+1

I think you’re faster than me, and my Z2 pace is in the 9:15-10:15 range. I’m curious how you determined the pace.

Althis

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Feeling frisky today with a run and ride. Got my power meter working again on my bike and wanted to test it out, luckily it stopped raining for a few hours so I didn't get too wet

1672970315376.png

1672970324109.png

1672970342506.png

sugarbutch

Bearded Prick
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Michigan Planner

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
+1

I think you’re faster than me, and my Z2 pace is in the 9:15-10:15 range. I’m curious how you determined the pace.

I came up with the 11 - 12 minute pace goal because that is a pace that keeps me towards the bottom of my Z2, would be an easy conversational pace, and is a pace where I feel like I could literally run for hours and hours at a time and then go back out and do the same thing the next day. If the temps drop back down well below freezing again, this will also be a pace that should still be slow enough to keep my HR down even when I'm wearing about 8 pounds of cold-weather gear (if that makes any sense).

This weekend will be my first attempt at a longer run at a pace like this (10+ miles each day is my plan) so I may be posting up again on Monday about how stupid and boring this experiment was and I'll never bother with it again.

FWIW, I have read that having a bigger gap between your "slow" pace and a pace where you're really exerting yourself can help with the anaerobic benefits of a running. One of my goals this year is to improve my overall 5k and 10k times so that improved anaerobic benefit should help with the overall speed on race days. We shall see!

jbarwick

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
7.3 miles yesterday with temps in the 50s. Trying to sneak anything I can in today after some meetings.

Last night my Garmin was acting funny and a reset seems to have helped but it could be on its last legs. Y'all still using those $500+ watches or is someone in the $200 range? Thinking of making the switch to Coros.

Althis

Supporting Member
Reaction score
7.3 miles yesterday with temps in the 50s. Trying to sneak anything I can in today after some meetings.

Last night my Garmin was acting funny and a reset seems to have helped but it could be on its last legs. Y'all still using those $500+ watches or is someone in the $200 range? Thinking of making the switch to Coros.

Depends on what you want, I was looking at Coros and the only watch they have that does music + GPS was their Vertix 2 at $700. Garmin has the Forerunner 245 which looks more my range at $280 and ticks both boxes. The Garmin seems more user friendly to me too

Michigan Planner

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’ve got a Garmin Fenix 6 Pro that I’ve been using for a few years now and I love it. I think I paid $600+ when I got it but now that the 7 is out, I’ve seen the 6 Pro down below $375 and even down below $300 if you’re willing to do re-furbished.

Having the ability to play music was a must for me too.

Fueco

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a Garmin Forerunner 55. It was $200 and does everything I need. You can control the music from your iPhone with it, but I haven’t used that functionality.

The only thing it lacks that would be nice is better performance while swimming. It recorded about half of my open water swim the other day.

sugarbutch

Bearded Prick
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Felt run down today, so nothing for me. @Althis made me curious about my own power curve. I apparently did my best 20m (and 30m) power of the year last week. Clearly I haven't been doing any sprinting lately. :)

1673065725762.png

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member