• I'm happy to introduce the Styleforum Happy Hour, our brand new podcast featuring lively discussion about menswear and the fashion industry. In the inaugural edition, a discussion of what's going on in retail today. Please check it out on the Journal. All episodes will be also be available soon on your favorite podcast platform.

• Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 8: Cuir de Russie card case from Equus Leather

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 8th auction is for a Cuir de Russie card case from Equus Leather. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

House of Saddam

Joffrey

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
What do you guys think?

I think it's pretty good. It does a very good job of illustrating the fear that you could imagine working or living with a dictator like that. The delusional patriotism he demands during tough times (like pretending the Iraq-Iran war or gulf war one were successes). Very interesting movie.

I remember writing a paper about Saddam Hussein and Iraq in high school. I wish I still had it lying around but it's lost now. It'd be very interesting to read that these days.

Composer_1777

Reaction score
I like Saddam; i'm pissed they put hm to death. He loved doritos for f sake! Doritos should issue a special edition Saddam tribute bag, Sadam FTW with an Ak-47!

Neo_Version 7

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Composer, what size shoe do you wear?

Neo_Version 7

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I figured as much.

Composer_1777

Reaction score
I don't get it... hmph

edit } Oh yeah cause the guy who threw his shoes at bush? lol. I can't stop laughing about that, but i like Bush to. He did whatever he wanted and was a douche and still managed to be funny.

HEWSINATOR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think this movie may remind people about how bad of a spot Iraq was in with Saddam. You can debate what motivated the war, but I think it is hard to say that Iraq was a better place with him. It just was not on TV. I do not want to get into this debate, but like I said, on topic, I think it is a bit of a reminder, insight, into pre- GWII Iraq.

Aperipan

Reaction score
I thought this was a perfume thread.

MetroStyles

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
The Bluths built Saddam's house.

Joffrey

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by HEWSINATOR
I think this movie may remind people about how bad of a spot Iraq was in with Saddam. You can debate what motivated the war, but I think it is hard to say that Iraq was a better place with him. It just was not on TV. I do not want to get into this debate, but like I said, on topic, I think it is a bit of a reminder, insight, into pre- GWII Iraq.

Thanks. At least one serious response. I personally thought it was a great made for HBO film. Looks like no one else caught it.

briancl

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Jodum5
Thanks. At least one serious response. I personally thought it was a great made for HBO film. Looks like no one else caught it.

Honestly, the series did not have the look and feel of the tight production I typically associate with HBO films. Maybe they didn't have the budget or they simply bit off more than they could chew.

However, I did enjoy the series, and it did illuminate some things. It reinforced my opinion that his intentions were sometimes pure, but the execution of his intentions were deeply flawed. He was patriotic to a fault. There were many well intentioned people in his close circle, but they were regularly stifled by Saddam's insecurity and blurred vision of the rest of the world.

Seems oddly similar to our own government, just with fewer checks and balances.

gdl203

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Interesting topic, poor production value, weak scenario and dialogues, mostly weak acting, major gaps of vast importance (most of the pre-GWI is skipped, kurdish genocide gets two lines, character development is almost nil - PLEASE, I want to understand what's going on in the guy's head a little better than this).

Still somewhat interesting given the relevance of the subject.

SField

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've heard strong endorsements for this.

I love HBO and few things they've done have dissapointed me. Their recent shows are pretty bad, but I'm sure we'll soon return to the glory days of Sopranos, The Wire, Six Feet Under, Deadwood....

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

How many pairs of shoes do you own?

• 1 - 4

Votes: 30 3.7%
  • 5 - 10

Votes: 141 17.3%
  • 11 - 20

Votes: 265 32.5%
  • 21 - 30

Votes: 129 15.8%
  • 31 - 40