• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

House of Cards on Netflix

Phantoom

Reaction score
Didn't quite live up to the potential it flashed early on, but I enjoyed the lions share of it, and am excited for "season" 2. It is brutal to get so much at once, and then nothing for so long.

Also, the reporter lived in my wife's old apartment. Fun fact, the pizza place showed from the exterior (Ninos) is widely speculated to be a drug front! Good pizza though.

MattSF

Reaction score
Does anyone know when Season 2 comes out? I would imagine they would wait until next year, but everything about this series is a little different, so who knows.

I don't know if this series is quite good enough to win an Emmy for best drama this year, but Spacey should definitely get consideration for best actor for his performance. He really carries the show. Francis Underwood is a great example of the modern anti-hero, much like Walt in Breaking Bad - the kind of guy you know is a POS, but can't help rooting for.

Joffrey

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

I know that's what they were doing, but it seemed like they built up all of this momentum through episode eight or nine, and then just sort of stalled it out without keeping up with the tension they'd built. There's still tension, but not at the level there should have been. Horses for courses though.I don't know. The Newsroom is bloody spectacular.r.
I have not had a problem streaming it in HD. What kind of set up do you have?

What do you smoke/snort while watching The Newsroom?

mktitsworth

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

What do you smoke/snort while watching The Newsroom?

I watch it with a penchant for observational satire drawn directly from the mouths of those being evicerated and unrepentant exposure of the absurdity that exists within the simulacrum that is the American news media.

Rambo

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score

I have not had a problem streaming it in HD. What kind of set up do you have?

just got a new plasma. streaming it through the tv interface. don't know if they were just streaming it in 480 because i was getting regular streaming movies in hi-def. i'll **** around with it a bit more.

edinatlanta

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

I watch it with a penchant for observational satire drawn directly from the mouths of those being evicerated and unrepentant exposure of the absurdity that exists within the simulacrum that is the American news media.

Please stop posting.

I've been watching one episode a week. I think that allows for characters, stories etc to sink in the most and I have to say... there are a TON of holes in HofC.

While I like watching the politicking involved, I find it truly hard to believe that Francis is this successful a wheeler-and-dealer that he can not only successfully plan a move to unseat the Speaker, he does so really to get the Majority Leader ousted, he can out-move the POTUS, can out-wit the CoS, and no one expects him of duplicity or somehow pulling some strings? Also,he's that well-connected and doesn't know he's being passed up for SoS?

That was some *really* flimsy evidence the reporter chick used to get into Francis' house. "Hey, here's a photo of you allegedly checking out ******." Yeah. That'll really make someone in power want to listen to you. Then her boss calls her a c-bomb and she doesn't have immediately file a lawsuit, but somehow tweets it and he isn't put on leave immediately?

Also, a white Democrat in the Deep South? lol.

There were some other things but I think overall its done well enough to make it enjoyable.

mktitsworth

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Please stop posting.

I've been watching one episode a week. I think that allows for characters, stories etc to sink in the most and I have to say... there are a TON of holes in HofC.

While I like watching the politicking involved, I find it truly hard to believe that Francis is this successful a wheeler-and-dealer that he can not only successfully plan a move to unseat the Speaker, he does so really to get the Majority Leader ousted, he can out-move the POTUS, can out-wit the CoS, and no one expects him of duplicity or somehow pulling some strings? Also,he's that well-connected and doesn't know he's being passed up for SoS?

That was some *really* flimsy evidence the reporter chick used to get into Francis' house. "Hey, here's a photo of you allegedly checking out ******." Yeah. That'll really make someone in power want to listen to you. Then her boss calls her a c-bomb and she doesn't have immediately file a lawsuit, but somehow tweets it and he isn't put on leave immediately?

Also, a white Democrat in the Deep South? lol.

There were some other things but I think overall its done well enough to make it enjoyable.

I don't disagree. This statement was about The Newsroom.

Joffrey

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I agree with Ed. After I watched the British version I learned to accept some of the over top ness of the story (the British is worse in that regard). Nonetheless it's fun and doesn't take itself to seriously without being too campy.

edinatlanta

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

munchausen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Just finished up the British version of the show (also on Netflix). A lot of fun. A little implausible but fun. I do for some reason kind of prefer it a bit to the US version. Not sure why. Nonetheless, two great shows.

I wasn't aware the original was on. I would rather watch that. Ian Richardson > Kevin Spacey

Lighthouse

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
THey just ruined the show in episode 11. Whatever thread of enjoyment i had in the Spacey character was just killed off.

Joffrey

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I felt somewhat similar until I saw the original. The US version is relatively tame.

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
drgaf about said plot holes. its a TV show, not reality, thats why we watch it. no one wants to actually watch the reality of politics or cspan would have higher ratings.

watched all the episodes in 4 days. fantastic show. KS is amazing, as is RW. doug stamper far and away is my favorite character. cant wait for the next season.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads