• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

coldsalmon

Reaction score
I'm not sure if it's what you're looking for, but check out Balmoral boots. They're like Oxford shoes, but in boot form. It's about as formal as you can get with boots. Not easy to find though.
AE has one coming up in their fall/winter lineup called the Stirling; I'm not sure it's for me though. What I would really like is a sense of style sufficient to wear a blucher boot with a tie.

jdp234

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks for all the thoughtful answers! You guys are the best.

You are right - I usually take photos from higher up, but I wanted to accentuate the boots in those shots. I recently got an iPhone which seems to have a much worse camera than my Pixel 2, but the company is paying for it so I can't refuse.

I understand the concept - I just can't execute it because I don't know how casual or formal different things are. I paired these items together because I thought they were approximately in the same place on the spectrum. But I have learned not to trust my own eye because, to put it succinctly, I have no sense of style. I'm not trying to be bold or to do an unusual pairing here - I just think that a navy hopsack jacket is on approximately the same level as a (knockoff) galway boot. Now of course I have learned that this is not correct, but I still consider this a success because I now have some new information.

Do you really think a madder tie is too formal for a navy blazer? Just where exactly does this blazer fall? I thought it was supposed to be a very versatile jacket, but if it's too casual for a madder tie and too formal for a galway boot I don't really know what I could wear it with.

Trousers are hopsack as well btw.

Thanks again for your replies! I feel more confused than ever, but I'm learning.

I also suspect the boots are being magnified by camera optical distortion and perspective, and so i think with that caveat they are fine although I don’t love that shade of brown with that shade of grey. It isn’t bad or wrong but burgundy would be better.

The boots are IMO not radically out of wack formality wise for a patch pocket mid navy hopsack blazer and lighter than mid grey trousers fit. If you were in midnight serge with pewter buttons and true mid grey trousers, I’d agree on formality critique, that is an evening outfit that wants black tassels. But the boots really are best suited to something less “city” than you are wearing.

I think the tie is fine, madder print is pretty middle of the road for a hopsack blazer (very ivy). White square might be too stark, save it for a darker serge blazer (where it is perfectly appropriate).

All told you look good. Post a picture of the shoes from chest height and I’m sure folks will re-evaluate.

jcmeyer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Any elaboration would be appreciated! So far I have purchase two pairs of boots that were rejected by this august assembly as illegal to wear with a tie. I hope this does not make it three.

I think this has been said in many different ways, but I don't think you will be successful if you try to make something more casual by pairing it with less casual things. That was the central point of that blog post you cited a while back, and I'm thinking you maybe missed that point. So the navy sportcoat will not work with heavy boots like those. Also the white TV square and the tie are most likely too formal for the navy hopsack sportcoat+gray worsted pants combo. So you've got like three different levels going on there. Chukkas might work better, and maybe something like a repp tie or something less formal, and probably not a white TV fold.

It's a mix of what everyone has said but to me, first and foremost, it's the formality clash as dalevy said. The uniform/security guard has the ability to be the most formal odd jacket combo there is, just shy of a worsted grey or blue suit. You can casualize it maybe just slightly further than Cleav did on the previous page; you could go button-down collar, striped or larger patterned tie, flannel trousers instead of flat worsted, a more colorful square, and loafers or chukkas. But as D said, you want each of those items to be pretty close in formality.

Part of what makes the boots less formal is how chunky they are compared to the skinny jacket and trousers -- so camera angle aside that is causing some of the dissonance.

I know that doesn't really help a ton if you aren't really able to judge formality yet, but you'll pick that up -- and you can always just copy people in this thread who have a look you like.

Mr. Six

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
329E2D83-9519-4372-B642-D5940BA33BC8.jpeg

Michael81

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
AE has one coming up in their fall/winter lineup called the Stirling; I'm not sure it's for me though. What I would really like is a sense of style sufficient to wear a blucher boot with a tie.

I have a pair of MTO balmoral boots from Carmina and they're surprisingly versatile. I wear them with pretty much anything. Can recommend.
P1040409.JPG

Pete E

Reaction score
II just think that a navy hopsack jacket is on approximately the same level as a (knockoff) galway boot. Now of course I have learned that this is not correct, but I still consider this a success because I now have some new information.

Do you really think a madder tie is too formal for a navy blazer? Just where exactly does this blazer fall? I thought it was supposed to be a very versatile jacket, but if it's too casual for a madder tie and too formal for a galway boot I don't really know what I could wear it with.

Trousers are hopsack as well btw.

Personally, (and its just my opinion and I am not an expert) I think in this case its the wide spectrum of formality that's the issue...I would imagine that the blazer could be worn casually with jeans/chino's, desert boots, and a Oxford Button Down Shirt for instance, or worn dressed up with more formal shoes, trousers and a shirt and tie, but when worn with heavy boots and a formal tie just don't quite go...

I should add its not that your outfit looks "terrible" to me, rather just "not quite right"...

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
allenedmonds_shoes_first-avenue_1193_black_side.jpg
I wear Allen Edmonds First Avenue in black when it's cold and sloppy out. Very comfy and they look like dress shoes when worn with a suit. The Stirling looks a bit rustic for tailored clothing at work. Chelsea boots also work well.

AE Dalton boots work very well for casual wear.

Last edited:

coldsalmon

Reaction score
Part of what makes the boots less formal is how chunky they are compared to the skinny jacket and trousers
Well I can't do anything about my wide feet, so I guess every shoe is going to look a few degrees more casual on me versus other people. These are AE Sullivan Streets btw. Here are some pics of other people wearing these same boots, probably in slimmer widths:

https://www.styleforum.net/threads/boots-boots-boots-for-boot-guys-only.450433/page-302#post-9093611

https://www.styleforum.net/threads/boots-boots-boots-for-boot-guys-only.450433/page-319#post-9135932

I tried again today but couldn't get any good pics. The jacket is linen PoW check and the tie is wool in a double FIH knot, but you can't tell. I just don't have time or equipment to take proper photos. Thanks again for all of your help everyone.
6723D1EF-9AD6-4890-A0B1-14A717C54EBB.jpeg
AC8186DF-7D75-4A65-BC94-5074EAC23F91.jpeg
53CBE258-DA3E-4920-A214-CFD8D641CFE6.jpeg
E0EA6BCE-7D46-4345-9C35-39C3654B8D03.jpeg

Betelgeuse

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Well I can't do anything about my wide feet, so I guess every shoe is going to look a few degrees more casual on me versus other people. These are AE Sullivan Streets btw. Here are some pics of other people wearing these same boots, probably in slimmer widths:

https://www.styleforum.net/threads/boots-boots-boots-for-boot-guys-only.450433/page-302#post-9093611

https://www.styleforum.net/threads/boots-boots-boots-for-boot-guys-only.450433/page-319#post-9135932

I tried again today but couldn't get any good pics. The jacket is linen PoW check and the tie is wool in a double FIH knot, but you can't tell. I just don't have time or equipment to take proper photos. Thanks again for all of your help everyone.
View attachment 1031678 View attachment 1031679 View attachment 1031680 View attachment 1031681
About the boots, I like them but I think they will look better with heavier fabrics and wider hem opening. And a bigger cuff.

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
6F55F135-4D0D-4407-B603-B7612D7FD278.jpeg 8B625DA7-0860-4BEF-8FEF-E5F2A729E4A7.jpeg

The dog days of Summer are still with us here in DC and linen carries the day. Quite rumpled at the end of the day.

Brioni SC, Berg & Berg tie, Hickey Freeman shirt, Santorelli pants and Sid Mashburn loafers.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.8%

Forum statistics

Threads