1. Hi, I'm the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.

HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part IV (starting May 2014)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Claghorn, May 21, 2014.

1. coldsalmon

coldsalmon Senior Member

AE has one coming up in their fall/winter lineup called the Stirling; I'm not sure it's for me though. What I would really like is a sense of style sufficient to wear a blucher boot with a tie.

2. jdp234

jdp234 Senior Member

I also suspect the boots are being magnified by camera optical distortion and perspective, and so i think with that caveat they are fine although I don’t love that shade of brown with that shade of grey. It isn’t bad or wrong but burgundy would be better.

The boots are IMO not radically out of wack formality wise for a patch pocket mid navy hopsack blazer and lighter than mid grey trousers fit. If you were in midnight serge with pewter buttons and true mid grey trousers, I’d agree on formality critique, that is an evening outfit that wants black tassels. But the boots really are best suited to something less “city” than you are wearing.

I think the tie is fine, madder print is pretty middle of the road for a hopsack blazer (very ivy). White square might be too stark, save it for a darker serge blazer (where it is perfectly appropriate).

All told you look good. Post a picture of the shoes from chest height and I’m sure folks will re-evaluate.

3. jcmeyer

jcmeyer Distinguished Member

It's a mix of what everyone has said but to me, first and foremost, it's the formality clash as dalevy said. The uniform/security guard has the ability to be the most formal odd jacket combo there is, just shy of a worsted grey or blue suit. You can casualize it maybe just slightly further than Cleav did on the previous page; you could go button-down collar, striped or larger patterned tie, flannel trousers instead of flat worsted, a more colorful square, and loafers or chukkas. But as D said, you want each of those items to be pretty close in formality.

Part of what makes the boots less formal is how chunky they are compared to the skinny jacket and trousers -- so camera angle aside that is causing some of the dissonance.

I know that doesn't really help a ton if you aren't really able to judge formality yet, but you'll pick that up -- and you can always just copy people in this thread who have a look you like.

4. bernoulli

bernoulli Senior Member

Gentlemen, thank you for the thumbs up.

5. Mr. Six

Mr. Six Distinguished Member

6. jdp234

jdp234 Senior Member

What, no fun square to a make it a perfectly executed four-pattern fit? :p

7. Michael81

Michael81 Distinguished Member

I have a pair of MTO balmoral boots from Carmina and they're surprisingly versatile. I wear them with pretty much anything. Can recommend.
    P1040409.JPG

8. Pete E

Pete E Well-Known Member

Personally, (and its just my opinion and I am not an expert) I think in this case its the wide spectrum of formality that's the issue...I would imagine that the blazer could be worn casually with jeans/chino's, desert boots, and a Oxford Button Down Shirt for instance, or worn dressed up with more formal shoes, trousers and a shirt and tie, but when worn with heavy boots and a formal tie just don't quite go...

I should add its not that your outfit looks "terrible" to me, rather just "not quite right"...

9. Pete E

Pete E Well-Known Member

I like those very much and that's exactly the type of boot I had in mind in my earlier post...

10. smittycl

smittycl Distinguished Member

allenedmonds_shoes_first-avenue_1193_black_side.jpg
    I wear Allen Edmonds First Avenue in black when it's cold and sloppy out. Very comfy and they look like dress shoes when worn with a suit. The Stirling looks a bit rustic for tailored clothing at work. Chelsea boots also work well.

AE Dalton boots work very well for casual wear.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2018

11. coldsalmon

coldsalmon Senior Member

Well I can't do anything about my wide feet, so I guess every shoe is going to look a few degrees more casual on me versus other people. These are AE Sullivan Streets btw. Here are some pics of other people wearing these same boots, probably in slimmer widths:

https://www.styleforum.net/threads/boots-boots-boots-for-boot-guys-only.450433/page-302#post-9093611

https://www.styleforum.net/threads/boots-boots-boots-for-boot-guys-only.450433/page-319#post-9135932

I tried again today but couldn't get any good pics. The jacket is linen PoW check and the tie is wool in a double FIH knot, but you can't tell. I just don't have time or equipment to take proper photos. Thanks again for all of your help everyone.
    6723D1EF-9AD6-4890-A0B1-14A717C54EBB.jpeg AC8186DF-7D75-4A65-BC94-5074EAC23F91.jpeg 53CBE258-DA3E-4920-A214-CFD8D641CFE6.jpeg E0EA6BCE-7D46-4345-9C35-39C3654B8D03.jpeg

12. Claghorn

Claghorn Stylish Dinosaur Dubiously Honored

B46D30BF-5BCA-427B-9CCE-C135BBE92F91.jpeg

13. AMProf

AMProf Senior Member

14. Betelgeuse

Betelgeuse Distinguished Member

About the boots, I like them but I think they will look better with heavier fabrics and wider hem opening. And a bigger cuff.

15. smittycl

smittycl Distinguished Member

6F55F135-4D0D-4407-B603-B7612D7FD278.jpeg 8B625DA7-0860-4BEF-8FEF-E5F2A729E4A7.jpeg

The dog days of Summer are still with us here in DC and linen carries the day. Quite rumpled at the end of the day.

Brioni SC, Berg & Berg tie, Hickey Freeman shirt, Santorelli pants and Sid Mashburn loafers.