• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • Last Day to save 20% sitewide at Kirby Allison's annual Father's Day Sale! !

Kirby Allison is one of Styleforum's original success stories, beginning long ago with Kirby;s Hanger Project. Every year, Kirby holds a Father's Day Sale featuring some of the best accessories and shoe care products in the world. Take this opportunity to get something for your father, grandfather, or yourself, at a rare 20% discount (discount taken automatically at the checkout). See if you find that perfect hanger, shoe cream, or watch case here

Enjoy

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Cleav

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
IMG_6316.jpg

IMG_6325.JPG

IMG_2624.JPG

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Think your funny?

There has always been discussion on whether to wear a watch with a tuxedo or not. I guess it's preference.
White face, black band and no complications is the preferred tuxedo watch. Something like the JLC Master Control Ultra Thin. Here's a pic:

jaeger-lecoultre-master-control-ultra-thin-original-white-gold.jpg

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
These days, one carries one's cell phone with one, and that acts as a watch for many Gen-X and Gen-Y people. I have always thought that the no-watch-with-tuxedo rule to be fairly absurd, but I also feel undressed unless I'm wearing a watch.
Same here. No watch makes me feel naked. Hate carrying digital leash all the time and watch is invaluable.

Thin White Duke

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
White face, black band and no complications is the preferred tuxedo watch. Something like the JLC Master Control Ultra Thin. Here's a pic:

View attachment 803715

Good choice Smitty.
My Dad was no WIS but he did own a few watches. After he died my Mam hung on to them thinking with her failing eyesight in older age she might need a bigger faced watch. After she died I got this one which my Dad wore for the last few years of his life, approx 1979-1981. It's a Quartz so won't get the real enthusiasts excited but a very nice watch that ticks away waiting for the rare occasion I get into a dinner jacket. At only about 6mm deep I think it looks classy enough and I'm sure the old fella would be happy to know that the kid looks after his stuff!

IMG_1818.JPG

IMG_1819.JPG

IMG_1819.JPG

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Good choice Smitty.
My Dad was no WIS but he did own a few watches. After he died my Mam hung on to them thinking with her failing eyesight in older age she might need a bigger faced watch. After she died I got this one which my Dad wore for the last few years of his life, approx 1979-1981. It's a Quartz so won't get the real enthusiasts excited but a very nice watch that ticks away waiting for the rare occasion I get into a dinner jacket. At only about 6mm deep I think it looks classy enough and I'm sure the old fella would be happy to know that the kid looks after his stuff!

View attachment 803745

View attachment 803749

View attachment 803750
Very nice! I have my Dad's gold Hamilton quartz he was presented upon retirement back in the 1980's. I try to wear it with lighter suits and jackets.

ericgereghty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
More irritating is the rubbish about 'must be single cuffs'. Really?
We can all do as we please but traditionally single cuffs go with white tie, double cuffs with black tie.
Fwiw, while I agree that as a rule is absurd, I quite like the idea of single cuffs for any shirt that takes cufflinks.

blekit

Reaction score
@PiCcolocV the shirt has two button cuff but the buttons are placed vertically not horizontally, so it can't be buttoned any tighter. Besides the shirt sleeve length is actually ok, it's the jacket that has too short sleeves (and is actually to short in general).

PiCcolocV

Reaction score
@PiCcolocV the shirt has two button cuff but the buttons are placed vertically not horizontally, so it can't be buttoned any tighter. Besides the shirt sleeve length is actually ok, it's the jacket that has too short sleeves (and is actually to short in general).

Gotcha, the overall length isn't absurdly short, so think it is worth having your tailor alter the jacket sleeves.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FredJnr73