• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

bernoulli

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I usually eschew orange and yellow ties. But after seeing an excellent combination by @upr_crust, I ordered this tie. At first, I didn't see much use for it. Then, I realized that online teaching in the evenings requires more contrast between jacket and tie. Now, I enjoy pairing it with a mid-blue or light-navy suit for remote teaching under the moonlight.

IMG_6888.jpg

monkey66

Reaction score
Back in Somerset. Yesterday was sunshine so I decided to dress for Spring today, which is of course overcast and grey.

Softer, semi-casual fabrics today. I love wearing cotton trousers although I wish they looked as good as they feel.

Like a few of my jackets I had this one tailored over the winter and enjoying the fit now.

The tie is new from Hilditch and Key's ever expanding and never ending eBay sale. I was looking more at my knitted ties for this ensemble but tried this one and it made me happy.

One for the loafer haters.

Jacket - Vintage RLBL, Italian made
Shirt and tie - Hilditch and Key
Trousers - Natalino
Shoes - Cheaney
Socks - Pink
P1020362 copy.jpg

P1020375 copy.jpg
P1020367 copy.jpg

P1020386 copy.jpg

upr_crust

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The weather in NYC is partly sunny, but cool today, with highs of only about 13C/56F this afternoon. I am meeting a friend for a drink directly after work this evening, and decided to opt for a winter weight suit, and a hat, in lieu of a lighter weight suit, and a coat of some variety. As it is, today's suit is one of my favorites, so I am giving it one last wearing before the weather becomes too warm to wear it comfortably - probably too grand for the drinks venue to which we're going this evening, but being overdressed is not one of my fears.

Suit - Paul Stuart/Phineas Cole
Shirt - Brooks Brothers MTM
Tie - Brooks Brothers
Cufflinks - The Persian Shop, NYC
Braces - Paul Stuart
Vintage watch chain
Pocket square - Harvie & Hudson, London
Boots - J Fitzpatrick
Hat - Lock, London

IMG_7138.JPG

IMG_7130.JPG
IMG_7133.JPG
IMG_7134.JPG
IMG_7135.JPG
IMG_7136.JPG
IMG_7137.JPG

ld111134

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The temperature here in Chicago is an autumnal 40 F/4.44 C, so I took a cue from An Acute Style and donned a flannel suit.

The unusual onyx cuff links are by Elsa Peretti for Tiffany & Comany, and we’re a gift from my dear wife. The bean shape is a signature design by Peretti and resembles the “Cloud Gate” sculpture in Chicago’s Millennium Park.

05FEC951-6E47-407A-B475-A497A2ABF54B.jpeg
F1139AD4-C6A7-46A7-B87A-902FFCC75679.jpeg
4F59F64B-B7B7-4A98-A7F4-7C2484186A2A.jpeg
F9FBC55A-E0EE-45C0-8A5C-B8891794DDE0.jpeg

bernoulli

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am copying some outfits from my pre-covid travels during this harsh lockdown in China. Today, I am teaching online in this ensemble, but I am sharing an old and less boring picture of the combo. This ensemble is a special one, as I wore it the day I met Deirdre McCloskey, one of the top economists globally. I don't agree with all she writes but I learned a lot from her book "The Rhetoric of Economics". I also respect tremendously her courage to transition late in life. I am glad the profession embraced her. The economics profession is far from perfect but it almost unanimously supported her since her transition in the mid-1990s. I also recommend her book "Crossing: A Memoir''.

IMG_30782.jpg
IMG_3101.jpg

Last edited:

monkey66

Reaction score
The temperature here in Chicago is an autumnal 40 F/4.44 C, so I took a cue from An Acute Style and donned a flannel suit.

The unusual onyx cuff links are by Elsa Peretti for Tiffany & Comany, and we’re a gift from my dear wife. The bean shape is a signature design by Peretti and resembles the “Cloud Gate” sculpture in Chicago’s Millennium Park.

View attachment 1785444 View attachment 1785445 View attachment 1785447 View attachment 1785448
I have the same cufflinks in silver, a gift from my wife that I wore on our wedding day.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 99 36.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 96 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 11.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads