• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Mr Knightley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Another Challenge X-post. It’s warming up here, so one of the last days today for heavier tweed.

Sorry to lose you @Roy Al ?

1339BD6E-1E3C-4594-9F79-6F16DA0BF352.jpeg

B4CB0A28-1347-47D1-A5D1-19ABAE17ACCA.jpeg

30464944-6D97-4322-9972-ADCAA6FF7E74.jpeg

29A12B82-3E63-422F-A59A-59EE647682EA.jpeg

upr_crust

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Another bright, sunny winter's day, with temperatures about 46F/8C. I chose today's suit as a background for today's shirt, which is the brightest and most eye-catching item of the ensemble, and which needs a dark background against which to be seen. For the rest of the assembled items, I merely channeled my inner 1980's - red braces and tie.

Suit & face mask - New & Lingwood
Shirt - Brooks Brothers MTM
Tie & braces - Brooks Brothers
Cufflinks - Benson & Clegg, London
Pocket square - vintage and no brand name
Shoes - Paul Stuart house brand
Overcoat - Turnbull & Asser
Scarf - Harvie & Hudson, London
Hat - Laird, London

IMG_5191.JPG

IMG_5185.JPG
IMG_5186.JPG
IMG_5187.JPG
IMG_5188.JPG
IMG_5189.JPG
IMG_5190.JPG

savvysartorial

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You might be able to find some older Brooks Brothers tuxes around eBay for a decent price. This one isn't exactly your size but is pretty close!
You'd definitely want to be careful about fabric composition when looking at vintage tuxes though. Even nicer brands were mixing in a ton of polyester into their tuxes in the 70s.

That is sick. Love the shawl.

I had read somewhere that people preferred no vent for tux or two vents versus 1?

Either way, I could probably make that work if I figured out the pant size.

TheSuitBurnsBetter

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That is sick. Love the shawl.

I had read somewhere that people preferred no vent for tux or two vents versus 1?

Either way, I could probably make that work if I figured out the pant size.
Supposedly the "correct" dinner jacket style is no vents, which is fine if your plan is to stand perfectly still all night. I think the single vent resembles the uninterrupted lines of the no vent jacket while still allowing you to sit and put your hands in your pockets. I don't think I've seen double vents on any of the vintage tuxes I've come across on ebay, so that must be more of a modern style but I like it.

savvysartorial

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Supposedly the "correct" dinner jacket style is no vents, which is fine if your plan is to stand perfectly still all night. I think the single vent resembles the uninterrupted lines of the no vent jacket while still allowing you to sit and put your hands in your pockets. I don't think I've seen double vents on any of the vintage tuxes I've come across on ebay, so that must be more of a modern style but I like it.

Agreed on the vent. Very much of an Italian style to have no vent.

As suggested on another thread, I need to figure out my shoulder and chest size with my tailor and then start searching from there.

beneven

Reaction score

An Acute Style

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That brick red tie works well here. Bonus points for wearing with a green jacket and not looking like a tacky Christmas ornament!

Of your recent fits, this one has to be my favorite--as @afterthesuit said: green and red without it being tacky is a feat. My compliments!

Thanks. I think the shade of the colors prevent the Christmas connection. I had a few other ties out to choose from. I didn’t think I would land on this one. Also, I wanted to wear a brown cardigan/vest to separate the green and red, but it didn’t work out.

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think the tradition for tuxes is ventless. A Gentleman has no reason to access his pockets in formal settings as a Gentleman has nothing in his pockets in a formal setting, right? :bigstar:

The only ventless jacket I have is my tux. Makes it fit closer and look better but, as mentioned above, mostly while standing. Do DB tuxes go ventless as well?

Last edited:

1st Step

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think the tradition for tuxes is ventless. A Gentleman has no reason to access his pockets in formal settings as a Gentleman has nothing in his pockets in a formal setting, right? :bigstar:

The only ventless jacket I have is my tux. Makes it fit closer and look better but, as mentioned above, mostly while standing. Do DB tuxes go ventless as well?

Just Got A DB (Linen) Ventless Jacket, I Agree, No need to pocket anything! :fonz:

Nobilis Animus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

A gentleman would have pockets in the tails of his coat, so both problems may be solved at once.

sugarbutch

Bearded Prick
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Very nice. I think this outfit really deserves a black shoe. Especially with the gray rollneck.
Black would also work, but I like this choice, too.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads