HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part IV (starting May 2014)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Claghorn, May 21, 2014.

1. GMMcL

GMMcL Senior member

Here is the inspiration:
    [​IMG]
    Here's the result. Not as bad as I think I first thought, but not quite what I was aiming for either.
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG] [​IMG]

2. Pliny

Pliny Senior member

very nice GMMcL! (cept the trews eh?)
    what I like most in that tumblr pic is what appears to be a super-repp tie. the furrows [​IMG]

3. The_Foxx

The_Foxx Senior member

4. The_Foxx

The_Foxx Senior member

While I consistently hate your wide, leg shortening pants -- the styles of the 1960s pix are very good!

5. Tibor

Tibor Senior member

It suits you so well, like an extension of yourself. I think your suit would look phenomenal with a fawn colored fedora. Have you seen the Stetson Stetsonian fedora that was released this year? It would look perfect with your attire. What do you think?

6. Tibor

Tibor Senior member

A portrait of Elegance. You are an artist.

7. Coxsackie

Coxsackie Senior member

I'm not sure what's more incredible - that @Roycru has kept his suits since the 60s, or that he has kept his photos!

It occurs to me that nobody would have had the benefit of seeing these "then and now" shots, so evocative and interesting, were it not for the internet. It's the internet, through fora like this one, which enables the sharing of certain interesting aspects of our personal lives which might otherwise have remained hidden forever, and eventually lost.

The story of Roy's suit reflects the story of his life. It's very nice, as a reader, to come across these little insights into the complexity of someone else's existence.

8. DonCologne

DonCologne Senior member

9. MGD83

MGD83 Senior member

This suit called for black cap toes, not heavy brogue wingtips. A black austerity brogue would have worked too, but these are way too busy for this very business like suit. The funky socks don't work either. Other then that, everything looks great from ankles up.

10. Pliny

Pliny Senior member

IDK I think the oxford wingtips work welll. And I think theyre very DC. Manton certainly doesnt mind a heavy shoe with his suits, for example.

11. Roycru

Roycru Senior member

I still have the hats that I got at Brooks Brothers in the sixties. When everyone used to wear hats, wherever you went, there was someplace to put them. Now, the hat check rooms, the hat racks, the extra stretchers under chairs, and all the other places that hats used to go in offices, restaurants, and other places have disappeared.

These disappearances have added infinite problems to wearing a hat (unless it's a cloth cap that you can fold up and stick in your pocket). You might have the good fortune to live someplace where these things haven't disappeared.

I was once said that Fred Harvey (who operated hotels and restaurants along the Santa Fe Railway) civilized the Southwest by requiring ties and jackets in his dining rooms. It might now be said that the current generation of hotel and restaurant owners have uncivilized the Southwest by not requiring ties and jackets in their dining rooms.

The last time that I was in the Polo Lounge (before the current boycott of the Beverly Hills Hotel because it is owned by a stoner) there were men wearing ball caps on sideways and tee shirts and playing with their cell phones. Men don't even know enough now to take their hats off indoors or when talking to a lady outdoors and even when they do take their hats off (probably when they go to bed or take a shower) they probably don't take their hats off with their left hand.

12. MGD83

MGD83 Senior member

@Roycru I enjoyed reading your last post - you are spot on.

13. Claghorn

Claghorn Senior member Dubiously Honored

By stoner, given the ownership, I'm assuming we're talking about their adherence to Sharia and support the stoning of people.

----

There is no question, in my mind, that manners have atrophied. But at the same time, some of what was considered proper behavior is either arbitrary (which doesn't make it wrong or bad, but at the same time, it isn't morally superior) or no longer relevent.

I'll take my hat off--a baseball cap from my university--when I'm in most restaurants, but that's the extent of it. Given my hat hair, the world may be better off with it on.

Taking them off in the presence of women or with the left hand is pretty arbitrary. Though there is something nice about the former. As there is with opening doors and pulling out chairs for women. But that doesn't suggest a moral deficiency on the part of those that don't.

However, I think as manners have diminished in importance, people have become less decent in their interaction with strangers. And I do think this suggests some minor moral deficiency.

None of this concerns clothes. But I can also can see an argument being made that wearing flip flops and shorts to a nice restaurant is disrespectful to the proprieters of that restaurant. But I don't think a suit needs to be a requirement. Clean jeans and a polo shirt, though not dressy, is not necessarily disrespectful at most fairly nice restaurants.

14. EFV

EFV Senior member Dubiously Honored

Only on SF would anyone refer to a pair of very sober burgundy dress socks as "funky" ;)

Last edited: Dec 13, 2014
  15. sugarbutch

sugarbutch Bearded Prick Dubiously Honored

[​IMG]