• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

GMMcL

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Today was inspired by something I saw on Tumblr and really liked (but can't access because my employer has unhelpfully blocked Tumblr). But it went horribly, horribly wrong somehow.
Here is the inspiration:
Here's the result. Not as bad as I think I first thought, but not quite what I was aiming for either.

Pliny

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
very nice GMMcL! (cept the trews eh?)
what I like most in that tumblr pic is what appears to be a super-repp tie. the furrows
inlove.gif

The_Foxx

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

The_Foxx

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
While I consistently hate your wide, leg shortening pants -- the styles of the 1960s pix are very good!
Out in the midday Sun today doing some Christmas shopping. Brooks Brothers tweed jacket, signature tartan pocket square, blue OCBD, and British-American Chamber Of Commerce Christmas tie, old Viyella (55%-45% Made in Scotland) sweater vest, L L Bean cord trousers, and Allen-Edmonds brown grain Kiowas...... Closer view of the Christmas tie that Brooks Brothers made for the British-Amarican Chamber Of Commerce many Christmases ago.....

Tibor

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Thanks again to everyone for liking my "Now And Then" pictures. I have worn the same clothes (that I got at Brooks Brothers in the sixties and seventies) all of my life. In the Fall of 1965, when I was working for the Santa Fe Railway in San Francisco, I got a brown herringbone tweed suit (which Brooks Brothers called a "Sport Suit" because it had patch pockets, welted edges, and lapped seams) at the Brooks Brothers store on Post and Grant in San Francisco. Today was a cold and damp day here in Los Angeles (like almost every day in San Francisco) so I wore the brown tweed suit today. (Yes, the pants are too long since some of my discs have deteriorated over the years and I am now a little bit shorter than I was in 1965). All Brooks Brothers except Allen-Edmonds shoes earlier today......
It suits you so well, like an extension of yourself. I think your suit would look phenomenal with a fawn colored fedora. Have you seen the Stetson Stetsonian fedora that was released this year? It would look perfect with your attire. What do you think?

Tibor

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Formal Friday... vintage (made in 1960) 3-piece and bow-tie. Details and more pictures are in this week's Friday Challenge thread:
A portrait of Elegance. You are an artist.

Coxsackie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure what's more incredible - that @Roycru has kept his suits since the 60s, or that he has kept his photos!

It occurs to me that nobody would have had the benefit of seeing these "then and now" shots, so evocative and interesting, were it not for the internet. It's the internet, through fora like this one, which enables the sharing of certain interesting aspects of our personal lives which might otherwise have remained hidden forever, and eventually lost.

The story of Roy's suit reflects the story of his life. It's very nice, as a reader, to come across these little insights into the complexity of someone else's existence.

MGD83

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

This suit called for black cap toes, not heavy brogue wingtips. A black austerity brogue would have worked too, but these are way too busy for this very business like suit. The funky socks don't work either. Other then that, everything looks great from ankles up.

Pliny

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
IDK I think the oxford wingtips work welll. And I think theyre very DC. Manton certainly doesnt mind a heavy shoe with his suits, for example.

Roycru

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It suits you so well, like an extension of yourself. I think your suit would look phenomenal with a fawn colored fedora. Have you seen the Stetson Stetsonian fedora that was released this year? It would look perfect with your attire. What do you think?

I still have the hats that I got at Brooks Brothers in the sixties. When everyone used to wear hats, wherever you went, there was someplace to put them. Now, the hat check rooms, the hat racks, the extra stretchers under chairs, and all the other places that hats used to go in offices, restaurants, and other places have disappeared.

These disappearances have added infinite problems to wearing a hat (unless it's a cloth cap that you can fold up and stick in your pocket). You might have the good fortune to live someplace where these things haven't disappeared.

I was once said that Fred Harvey (who operated hotels and restaurants along the Santa Fe Railway) civilized the Southwest by requiring ties and jackets in his dining rooms. It might now be said that the current generation of hotel and restaurant owners have uncivilized the Southwest by not requiring ties and jackets in their dining rooms.

The last time that I was in the Polo Lounge (before the current boycott of the Beverly Hills Hotel because it is owned by a stoner) there were men wearing ball caps on sideways and tee shirts and playing with their cell phones. Men don't even know enough now to take their hats off indoors or when talking to a lady outdoors and even when they do take their hats off (probably when they go to bed or take a shower) they probably don't take their hats off with their left hand.

MGD83

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@Roycru I enjoyed reading your last post - you are spot on.

Claghorn

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
By stoner, given the ownership, I'm assuming we're talking about their adherence to Sharia and support the stoning of people.

----

There is no question, in my mind, that manners have atrophied. But at the same time, some of what was considered proper behavior is either arbitrary (which doesn't make it wrong or bad, but at the same time, it isn't morally superior) or no longer relevent.

I'll take my hat off--a baseball cap from my university--when I'm in most restaurants, but that's the extent of it. Given my hat hair, the world may be better off with it on.

Taking them off in the presence of women or with the left hand is pretty arbitrary. Though there is something nice about the former. As there is with opening doors and pulling out chairs for women. But that doesn't suggest a moral deficiency on the part of those that don't.

However, I think as manners have diminished in importance, people have become less decent in their interaction with strangers. And I do think this suggests some minor moral deficiency.

None of this concerns clothes. But I can also can see an argument being made that wearing flip flops and shorts to a nice restaurant is disrespectful to the proprieters of that restaurant. But I don't think a suit needs to be a requirement. Clean jeans and a polo shirt, though not dressy, is not necessarily disrespectful at most fairly nice restaurants.

EFV

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

This suit called for black cap toes, not heavy brogue wingtips. A black austerity brogue would have worked too, but these are way too busy for this very business like suit. The funky socks don't work either. Other then that, everything looks great from ankles up.

Only on SF would anyone refer to a pair of very sober burgundy dress socks as "funky" ;)

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads