• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants are now live. These cargos are based off vintage US Army BDU (Battle Dress Uniform) cargos. They're made of a premium 13.5-ounce Japanese twill that has been sulfur dyed for a vintage look. Every detail has been carried over from the inspiration and elevated. Available in two colorways, tundra and woodland. Please find them here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

coldsalmon

Reaction score
I think those shoes would work. The burnishing/shine is a little haphazard but I don’t see why a short wing balmoral is too casual for a suit.
That is the result of using walnut cream on a bourbon colored shoe by accident, a few shines ago. I actually like the way the patina is developing, but it needs to be a bit more uniform in the toe, which will come in time.
Those shoes look too casual to be worn with a suit.

Also, think about getting a new hairdresser, your current one is cutting it too short.
A sincere thanks for the feedback! I am always trying to improve. As for my thought process, I figured the shoes matched the tie fairly well in formality level. If I had worn a sold burgundy tie, or something, I think the shoes would be too casual, but this is a non-conservative business dress suit look to begin with, so I thought a less-formal shoe was called for. I decided to go with a blue suit and shirt because of the old adage: "blue and green are pleasing when seen."
Perhaps I will try this tie/shoe combo with a lighter, more casual suit.
Thanks again!

Edit: Coming along after another coat of bourbon.
IMG_20180704_133351.jpg

Last edited:

lordsuperb

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Bold (semi-facetiously) being blue shirt + black tie...not something I see myself being comfortable doing, though your blue tux shirt does lend some steel to the idea.
Out of curiosity, why do you consider the black grenadine a good tie for the look? I agree with you that it is, but it doesn't strike me as distinctly different from a relatively slubby raw silk.

Its easier to visualize things when you actually have the items on hand to try on. That's how I came to the realization that a blue shirt and a blue tuxedo go quite well together.

As for the raw silk tie it comes off as a solid black tie which is too formal for the outfit. The jacket and shirt you chose are casual in nature. The first option should've been no tie. The second option should've been a silk knit tie, but since you aren't a fan I gave you options that work better. Also, you picked the wrong pocket square (cream?) for the outfit.

Have a nice day.

DiplomaticTies

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
MorrisShibumi-06.jpg
MorrisShibumi-02.jpg
MorrisShibumi-05.jpg

US embassies and missions abroad rarely actually hold receptions on the 4th of July, since they want to give their staff the chance to travel home over the holiday. Here in Geneva the reception was held last week. But I can of course post what I wore to the event on the correct day!

SC: Morris
Shirt: Inglese
Tie: Shibumi
PS: Vanda
Pants: Berg & Berg
Shoes: Mano
Panama: Olney
Shades: Moscot

Oshare

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
View attachment 999812 View attachment 999813 View attachment 999814

US embassies and missions abroad rarely actually hold receptions on the 4th of July, since they want to give their staff the chance to travel home over the holiday. Here in Geneva the reception was held last week. But I can of course post what I wore to the event on the correct day!

Very nice combination!

SpooPoker

Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

gettoasty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

How did you find the Berg & Berg pants to fit, TTS or size up? Which model is that? Looks great with the rest of the outfit. I especially like the footwear choice. TIA

SonnyUte

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, need your opinion. Would suede oxfords work in the summer? I've seen suede loafers work well in the summer, but unsure about oxfords.
Yes. Wore a pair of C&J snuff suede oxfords yesterday. Looked great with a light navy (cotton!) hopsack sport coat and a pair of BB khaki chinos. Wish I had pics to share.

Epicure

Reaction score
Was interviewed for an executive position yesterday. Not really sure I'll take the job if offered it, but it was a good opportunity to break out this suit (wore it with black oxfords for the interview though.) View attachment 999577
Haha, that's great! Now I'm seriously considering going for jobs with the intention to get interviewed purely with the intention of wearing the conservative business dress part of my wardrobe more often.

Epicure

Reaction score

Superb look for warm weather. I especially like the navy band on the Panama. I'd love to find a Panama with such a band locally. I suppose I could get one with a black band and have the band replaced. For now at least, I'm managing quite well with a brown banded version, but maybe a new hat come the Australian summer is in order.

Contango

Reaction score

Love it, quite possibly my favourite post of yours. I think you look better with a bit more colour in an outfit, and a bit of contrast between your shirt/jacket and your tie.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 107 36.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 107 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 37 12.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 47 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 42 14.5%

Forum statistics

Threads