• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Roy Al

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Between desperation and despair...

P1110020.JPG

P1110071.JPG
P1110066.JPG
P1110013.JPG
P1110031.JPG
P1110041.JPG

Cheer up, Roy Al.
Off to work lad, everything will be good in the end.

Claghorn

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
85E26F96-DCB7-4247-A544-DA8CA8F6CC53.jpeg

PDX-S

Reaction score

ShawnBC

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I typically take a sz 46 jacket, and clock in at 5'10" 220 lb. Some may think they're too slim, but my philistine eyes deem them acceptable. (Yes, I still have a Christmas tree; but, it has turned into a Mardi Gras tree).

View attachment 906062 View attachment 906063 View attachment 906064 View attachment 906065

They also offer 9cm ties. Perhaps the 9cm offerings are too limited to find what you're after? In any case, I would say that that 8cm ties are too narrow for most gents over 6' tall with a frame anything from average upwards. I myself am 6'3" and usually wear a size 46 jacket, sometimes sizing up to a 48 when the jacket runs on the slim side. I find that 8cm ties are unequivocally too narrow for my frame, and I'm not particularly heavy or muscular around the chest. My preference is a for a lapel that measures in the 9cm to 10cm range (3.5" to 4" inches), and to my eyes a tie measuring 8cm wide (or just over 3") always looks proportionally too narrow when worn with lapels of 9cm upwards. I do have 8cm ties that I still wear, but I try to reserve these for wear with jackets that have lapels no wider than 9cm, and they don't get worn as often as my wider ties.

You also asked about how Berg&Berg ties rate, presumably referring to the quality. Their ties are at least satisfactory for the price. A decent bang for your buck. Of course, all the ties are too short if you're much over 6' tall. I only wear my Berg&Berg ties with vests or some form of layering under the jacket. Nowadays I don't buy ties that are too short, even if I really like the tie. It's just not versatile to purchase ties that can be worn only with an additional layer under the jacket.

I will also add that if you wear 8cm ties as @pickergc does above, with the narrow blade prominently showing, you may create the illusion of the width that is in reality lacking. I've no idea how you'd ensure the tie is always hanging this way though (tie bar for the narrow blade only?), and further caution that 8cm ties may not dimple as easily or as elegantly as a 9cm tie, all else being equal.

Thanks guys for the thoughtful answers! 8cm seems to be the preferred width of the more affordable and/or mid-tier tie makers. I am glad Berg&Berg started introducing wider ties and hope they’ll broaden their offering, if they notice an increase in interest!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads