• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

TweedyProf

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I wanted to like this but the framing of it and invite only and so forth comes off as beyond pretentious, much the same as the lounge had that same pretentious vibe to it. Maybe I'll check back in a couple weeks and see who posted pictures but the first impression wasn't a good one.

Sorry, @TM79 . I did try hard in the OP to make the thread clear in terms of direction and also that I would start with people who had an important/historical (within SF) influence on me.

Anyway, others can have a look, use it for what it's worth.

Last edited:

Mr Knightley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It was a great day yesterday ( http://www.styleforum.net/t/394373/...-part-iv-starting-may-2014/32625#post_8312202 ) but back to reality today. Having walked with upr_ past the site of long-gone Simpsons of Piccadilly (now Waterstones bookshop) I dug out one of my oldest ties that I bought there in the early 90s by Cerruti 1881.

On my feet today are the much-reviled (here) Jeffery-West ankle boots so I'm not showing them!

Other stuff:
Suit - Jasper Conran
Shirt - TM Lewin
PS - Mr Porter
Watch - Timex for Manchester emporium Oi Polloi

Last edited:

ComfortablyDumb

Reaction score
I have a substantial amount of ties from Vanda (lived in Singapore for a while and visited their workshop too) but that one is probably my favourite. Almost luminous quality to the rusty grenadine. I use it a lot.

Cheers, it's one of my favourites as well.

@cd I like everything, but the pants appear too tight.

I can see why you say that, but imo the pants actually fit me very well. The fabric is quite thin and tends to wrinkle quite a bit and these pictures were taken after a long day of sitting.

@ComfortablyDumb Damn that's nice! We don't see a lot of S. Ward shirts in the wild!

That's too bad. I really enjoy the Sebastian Ward shirts I have, and at the new price point they're a great buy.

DavidLane

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I do need to tighten my tie, but dressed none the less in all sorts of comfort today...including tweed, madder, corduroy and chambray. A new favorite square too, if you have had any reservations on a square from Kimber, put them behind you. These are truly fantastic. The tones are warm and subtle and the patterns are big enough to never match your tie. Highly recommended.

Best,

DL-

DavidLane

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@DavidLane , I really enjoy the combinations you put together. Good stuff, man.
@Murlsquirl and @ShawnBC thank you for your comments, it has been a lot of learning over the past few years on SF. I really seem to do best in fall/winter clothes, tweeds especially. Honestly @luxire has been a big help too, having the option to get clothes that fit, and in cloth that I like is a huge help. Relying on designers and retailers producing clothing in my size is near impossible, and even if they do fit, they are often times too hideous to consider buying.

Thanks again guys, I appreciate the feedback.

Best,

DL-

ReddyMade

Reaction score
Some would argue brown grenadine. I say brown because I don't wear black shoes and in certain cases navy grenadine looks better with black than brown. Just my 0.02

I'd say brown is the most versatile if you got brown skin or hair.

Brown is a versatile enough color to fit in with almost any outfit, and having brown skin/hair gives a brown tie something to compliment no matter what the outfit.

Testudo_Aubreii

Reaction score
Navy grenadine is indeed quite versatile, perhaps the most versatile tie for city suits. But a navy silk knit can be worn with those city suits, and also with country clothes (e.g., a tweed suit), and with suburban suits like hairy flannels or strong-checked worsteds. Admittedly, navy grenadine looks better with many city suits than does knit. But navy grenadine just looks wrong with most country clothes.

Brown grenadine is interesting. It definitely goes well with suburban coats and many city rigs. I'm divided as to whether it looks cool or just wrong with truly country clothes.

Last edited:

ShawnBC

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Back again. Checks on checks today!

Eidos suit
MTM shirt from Herman Demirci (local tailor)
Tom Ford tie
Exquisite Trimmings square
C&J boots

Very nice! I might be tempted to say (IMHO) that the tie color might be too classic for such a rustic ensemble, but part of me think the texture of the tie makes it work and the color brings a nice freshness to the whole look (plus, am I seeing a faint blue overcheck on the suit cloth?). Someone else might chime in and say otherwise, though. I'm still new to this game!

Pretty sure a brown or rust tie would've worked here too, but I'm wondering if it'd be too matchy-matchy with the pocket square edge?

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads