• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

YRR92

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Something that was discussed in the lounge. I like combinations where the pattern on a tie match the empty space on a shirt. It wasn't a popular proposition (and isn't something I like all the time). Color might be too close though, between the shirt and the tie, for it to really work like I like it.

---

Jacket is a SuSu Hudson. Tie in the first is Henry Carter, linen silk.

I can picture the same shirt working with a navy pindot tie in the same scale, but that would need gray worsted or something.

Aarne Salmi

Reaction score
I can already tell you a few things are going to make a few things that are going to make the SF-mob cringe.

- Contrast buttonhole/lapel
- shirt color
- matchy matchy pocket square

If you like the look, by all means keep on keeping on, but I don't think you'll find the most receptive audience here...

Hi, thank you for your reply Eric. Needless to say the button holes are intentionally made the way to work as extreme highlights. This suit is mainly for coffee shops and just goofing around. I am so young that it works just fine for me. Could you explain me what's wrong with the shirt color?

As far as I have understood, matching pocket square for shirt is okay but matching it for a tie is a big taboo. Anyway, the more I receive feedback regardless what it says as long as it's not a troll, the happier I am :) I want to show clothing and style I like and hear opinions from older people who have been wearing classic style longer than I have been living. They can cringe all they want, I am more fashion forward but I definitely try to avoid common trends.

^The slim peak lapel and dark gray odd jacket isn't the best choice either. Not to mention the black pants.

Also there's too much whipped cream in the coffee beverage.

I requested for extra cream, they forgot it :( I can agree on black pants though.

But if he's a high level coke dealer, it's pretty much a perfect, coherent outfit.

Now this settles it then :) I nailed it !

VictorSFreturn

Reaction score

backpack – GRUNGE JOHN ORCHESTRA
sunglasses – Ermenegildo Zegna
headwear – Ziner
gloves – Cortigiani
belt – Ermenegildo Zegna
bracelet – Viola Milano
jacket/coat – Polo Ralph Lauren
roll-neck sweater – Malo
T-shirt – Barbour
shoes – Crockett & Jones
socks – Pantherella
jeans – Bespoke
perfume – Frapin “1697”

The_Foxx

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Arne-- Whew, lots good n on here bro...peaked lapels alone can be kinda fashion forward, might wanna keep the rest more understated. Lapel stitching a matter of personal taste but rest of outfit need not reflect the red. Here are some peak lapel looks done well in my opinion
http://us.suitsupply.com/en_US/suit...tml?cgid=Suits&prefn1=fitID&prefv1=Peak Lapel http://us.suitsupply.com/en_US/suit...tml?cgid=Suits&prefn1=fitID&prefv1=Peak Lapel
Hello :) I chose to wear cheaper pants today because it had just been raining heavily and I'm going to receive couple of splashes while driving outside (Motorbike). Jacket is S120, fully canvassed, made by Brijuni Fashion. [COLOR=A74345]
For me today, getting some inner dandy outta my system before a fairly conservative biz trip this week: Grey n purple suit Barneys socks Black Lobbs Phineas Cole tie Isaia FC shirt Clive Christian C cologne

An Acute Style

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Arne-- Whew, lots good n on here bro...peaked lapels alone can be kinda fashion forward, might wanna keep the rest more understated. Lapel stitching a matter of personal taste but rest of outfit need not reflect the red. Here are some peak lapel looks done well in my opinion

http://us.suitsupply.com/en_US/suit...tml?cgid=Suits&prefn1=fitID&prefv1=Peak Lapel
http://us.suitsupply.com/en_US/suit...tml?cgid=Suits&prefn1=fitID&prefv1=Peak Lapel
For me today, getting some inner dandy outta my system before a fairly conservative biz trip this week:
Grey n purple suit
Barneys socks
Black Lobbs
Phineas Cole tie
Isaia FC shirt
Clive Christian C cologne

Dandy?

DandySF

Reaction score
I'm seeing a lot of the light brown shoe thing on men under age 40 in San Francisco's Financial District.

Last few pages have been awesome, gents. Hooray for fall.

My end-of-the-week contribution, with the much reviled walnut strands and a pink/red/brown combo up top to add to the discussion on those colors.

ericgereghty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi, thank you for your reply Eric. Needless to say the button holes are intentionally made the way to work as extreme highlights. This suit is mainly for coffee shops and just goofing around. I am so young that it works just fine for me. Could you explain me what's wrong with the shirt color?

As far as I have understood, matching pocket square for shirt is okay but matching it for a tie is a big taboo. Anyway, the more I receive feedback regardless what it says as long as it's not a troll, the happier I am :) I want to show clothing and style I like and hear opinions from older people who have been wearing classic style longer than I have been living. They can cringe all they want, I am more fashion forward but I definitely try to avoid common trends.

I requested for extra cream, they forgot it :( I can agree on black pants though.

Now this settles it then :) I nailed it !
There's certainly nothing wrong with it, though it does give off the mobster/drug dealer vibe haha.

I shy away from dark shirts (especially ones that appear to have a satin-y finish), because I find them hard to pair with ties and SCs/suits. Lighter color shirts just offer so much more versatility in my view.

To the pocket square, again, there's nothing wrong with it, though it will likely not win many fans here. That said, I'm usually fine with a plain white/cream square, which is also not always most loved here.

Keeping all this in mind, you're dressed a good deal better than most people I come across in life (I can assume the same holds true for your region), and I live in a large metropolitan area (Los Angeles). If YOU (because that's what it really boils down to) like the way you look, you should see no real compulsion to drastically change your style. Take from what you receive here feedback wise, if you so choose, and adjust your style as you see fit.

Note: but for the love of all things holy, please never go black suit, black shirt, black tie lol.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Claghorn

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
We have a front page?!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 94 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.5%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads