1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part III

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mr.K, Mar 25, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ridethecliche

ridethecliche Well-Known Member

FIRE IN THE KEYBOARD WAR ROOM!!!

2. FlyingMonkey

FlyingMonkey Well-Known Member

Please listen to what he's saying, rtc and stop thinking you are so amusing - you aren't. It's basic advice and so far you've roundly ignored it.

1 person likes this.
  3. Claghorn

Claghorn Well-Known Member

Rudals makes a sincere effort and has shown improvement. He's just bad at shopping.

RTC, I get the feeling you don't listen to much of the basic advice given. You don't have to follow all of it--nobody wants you to be a drone. But there is some basic stuff that you should really work on. Nothing that stops you from being you...it'll just allow you to be a better you. You like thrifting. Good. Concentrate on thrifting a navy blazer. It's a wonderful staple, and you can break all sorts of rules in it without looking awful (not the same as looking good...but for some people, "not looking awful" is good enough, and personality fills in the rest--which is fine).

I was with him when he got this. I did suggest he go for a more spread collar. Ah well, he comes back in May and perhaps he'll believe me this time ^_^

Last edited: Jan 6, 2014
    2 people like this.
  4. Ianiceman

Ianiceman Well-Known Member

Rudals came to this board months ago with some solid and creditable navy suits but was agonizing over ties cos for some reason in his world he can't seem to find (blue?) ties to complement his navy suits that he likes. Much advice was given.
    Fast forward to the present and where are we? Friggin Groundhog Day that's where!:D

5. in stitches

in stitches Well-Known Member

Clags nailed it in that last post.

6. Rudals

Rudals Well-Known Member

@laniceman
    Hope you can understand that there is a perfectionist in me that just wants to get it right and thus all this going back and forth. I have to disagree with you when you say that I am playing Ground Hog's Day. The issue before had to do with my inability to find the right tie for the suit (I stopped wearing it). The issue now is my inability to or lacking the skills to find ties that match patterned shirts. I get that my process may annoy the F out of some people but I respect the opinions of SF members and so I listen.

And lastly, I think you can always ignore my posts if it drives you nuts. I believe there is the option to block members.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2014
    2 people like this.
  7. Pliny

Pliny Well-Known Member

morning gentlemen- last shot with the Xmas tree

Cappelli Challis
    Rubinacci Cuccagna
    Kamakura
    BB POW
    Flannels
    Vass OEII

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

15 people like this.
  8. kayhill

kayhill Well-Known Member

Wore my new Vass double monks and my Hermes tie today.

[​IMG]

Close up of the tie here.

2 people like this.
  9. Henry Carter

Henry Carter Well-Known Member

Really awesome. But how the hell do you wear flannels up your way in January?

10. Pliny

Pliny Well-Known Member

ha. thx man. they're loose + lite wt - most comfortable trews i own

11. timotune

timotune Well-Known Member

Uniform Tuesday:
    [​IMG]

21 people like this.
  12. arglist

arglist Well-Known Member

Casual office day today.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  13. eviltimeban

eviltimeban Well-Known Member

Very nice - cool wedding snap too!

edit - oh hey look at that - 101 posts. I'm a "senior member" now. Woot! [​IMG]

14. mimo

mimo Well-Known Member

Close your eyes and imagine a pair of trousers. Any pair of trousers.

Now open your eyes, and imagine you're wearing them in this picture instead of denim overalls. I guarantee that the picture in your mind's eye is nicer.

Your shoes are very nice. So is your jacket. But it appears to be too small for you - hence the quarters popping out from your body below the button, and the odd things going on with the shoulders. Maybe see if you can have it let out a little at the waist?

3 people like this.
  15. arglist

arglist Well-Known Member

Thanks for your observations, mimo. Being a long time lurker I know your disdain for all things denim. I like blue jeans so we won't be able to agree on this.

I agree with you on the jacket. While I don't think it should be let out (I still plan to lose my X-mas girth), I think it's too short and the shoulders only fit when I do an unnatural robopose without moving. I will have to let it go soon which saddens me because the fabric is so nice.

16. upr_crust

upr_crust Well-Known Member

Today's shirt was an error on Brooks Bros. part - not a fabric which I would have chosen, necessarily, for a contrast-collar shirt - but, as it was monogrammed, Brooks graciously gave it to me (and made me the MTM shirt in this configuration with the fabric that I did want). I thought that I'd give it a try with a three-piece suit.

Note also that, in NYC at present, it is 5F/-15C degrees, hence the shearling hat and two scarves.

Suit & tie - BB
    Shirt - BB MTM
    Cufflinks - Penhaligon's (Deakin & Francis)
    PS - Ashear
    Vintage watch chain
    Braces - Lewin
    Boots - Paul Stuart (Grenson Masterpiece)
    Overcoat - BB
    Solid scarf - Olde England, Beauchamp Pl., London
    Striped scarf - Castell's of Oxford
    Hat - Seifter Associates

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10 people like this.
  17. Holdfast

Holdfast Well-Known Member

Still lacking pose inspiration...

[​IMG]

7 people like this.
  18. Pingson

Pingson Well-Known Member

Back in the saddle again, although I must confess I feel rather uninspired by the prospect of going through the 100+ emails that have accumulated over the holidays......

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

18 people like this.
  19. Ianiceman

Ianiceman Well-Known Member

Here's a simple formula for you, to which I'm certain something similar has been offered already:

The bolder the shirt pattern the more muted the tie should be, and vice versa.
    If you have a solid white or light blue shirt, or something that dissolves into solid from a short distance like fine pencil stripe, then you can be a bit more adventurous with your tie pattern.

If you have a bolder shirt such as awning or broader Bengal stripe or gingham then go for muted neat patterns or solid grenadines.

Since you seem to have a lot of navy suits then one part of the formula is ready made for you. There was also some good advice recently about pairing blue, wine brown and dark green with navy and/or gray suits. Now go forth and sin ye no more.

1 person likes this.
  20. Holdfast

Holdfast Well-Known Member

When I worked in a job that generated lots of email and returned after a break, I had the same unpleasant task. But I bet you'll find about 80%-90% of the issues raised in those emails have magically resolved themselves in your absence, or can be resolved simply by forwarding the email to the correct person. The lesson I learnt was to immediately delete 90% of my incoming email from that point on (and 100% of email sent to multiple recipients), without replying. The work still got done, I didn't seem to be particularly out of the loop, and everyone quickly got used to the fact that I rarely bothered to answer email.

It should be said, I was most definitely not cut out to work within that kind of monolithic, large organisation and found a way to safely get out as soon as I could! So apply my tactics at your own peril. [​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.