1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part III

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mr.K, Mar 25, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rudals

Rudals Senior member

True that. I initially started off with a bunch of navy blue ties. After joining SF, I realized that they don't go too well with navy blue suits. Now, I have none left except for a royal navy blue tie.

2. Rudals

Rudals Senior member

Thanks, Sugarbutch. Why the heck didn't I see these when I was on their website last week. At any rate, like Stitches said, I would like to stay away from navy blues.

3. sugarbutch

sugarbutch Senior member Dubiously Honored

This is why I asked for you to specify the where, when, and with what. I mistakenly thought your suits were mostly dark gray. If you wear mostly navy suits, similar neats in brown, dark green, and wine/maroon will serve you well. The latter is likely to attract the least attention. Gray grounds will work with white or predominantly white shirts or very light blues, but once you get into even a bit more saturation on a blue shirt, I think there's insufficient contrast unless it's a dark gray.

Drakes

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Panta

[​IMG]

6 people like this.
  4. TweedyProf

TweedyProf Senior member Dubiously Honored

This panta would be nice with a navy suit.

1 person likes this.
  5. Rudals

Rudals Senior member

THIS IS F.A.I.L. [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 6, 2014
  6. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Senior member Dubiously Honored

Tie is awful. I hate contrast edged pocket squares in a TV fold. Also, I hate 1/8" topstitching on collars. I am not a fan of the styling on that suit, like the other, but it is serviceable if not a big snug.

2 people like this.
  7. Rudals

Rudals Senior member

[​IMG]
    I am so freaking drawn to blue for some reason. It is what it is. I wonder if white shirt would have been better.
    I just don't understand why it is that when I post something that I think is mundane and boring that I get positive feedback whereas when I post something that I think is nice (in my head) that I get negative feedback. I like the tie but I get your point about the PS. Can you tell me what you mean by the 1/8" topstitching on the collars?

8. Henry Carter

Henry Carter Senior member Affiliate Vendor

18 people like this.
  9. patrickBOOTH

Naturally I like that, however I think the cut is too slim as are the lapels. Everything a bit bigger up top would help balance the collar a bit.

2 people like this.
  10. Rudals

Rudals Senior member

Oh fudge! I was just holding up a tie just like this one...but took the other one. [​IMG]

11. patrickBOOTH

The tie is just gaudy.

Top stitching is the stitching that boarders the collar of the shirt. It is 1/8" from the edge. 1/4" looks better. My statements in regard to the collar shape is the same with this shirt as it was with the earlier shirt you posted.

1 person likes this.
  12. Henry Carter

Henry Carter Senior member Affiliate Vendor

Your a bloody tough critic PB! Although I agree about the lapels, when buying off the rack it was the compromise I needed to make. The suits not too slim, I'm just a bit portly at present. Combo of many things but mostly new fatherhood, 70 hour weeks and xmas but I'm getting there slowly.

13. sugarbutch

Rudy Nudals, that tie should not exist. The cross-hatching in the light blue stripes is an abomination. That said, if you like it, then you just need to learn how to wear it better. It doesn't go well with that suit pattern, and it would look better with a gray suit. You won't get love here, but you only have to live with yourself.

3 people like this.
  14. apsks0706

apsks0706 Member

[​IMG]

3 people like this.
  15. Rudals

Rudals Senior member

I think I might be bipolar or something. What the heck is wrong with the ties that I pick out?! If people around me say something is dead ugly to this extent, then there must be a darn good reason for it. LOL.

16. aravenel

aravenel Senior member

Seriously, start simple. You get into trouble when you try to put together things that "aren't boring", whatever that means.

Think of it this way--it's not boring, it's elegant.

Buy staples. Learn to wear and combine the staples well.

2 people like this.
  17. Rudals

Rudals Senior member

I think I'll stick to that for now. But I am enjoying this. SF is very helpful. I believe I have the CBD down pretty well.

18. sugarbutch

You're missing the most important part of what I said, Nudals. I wouldn't even pick up for a closer look the overwhelming majority of ties produced for sale. That doesn't make them bad, just not to my taste. I mean, I would say that they're bad, but different strokes for different folks. Seriously, if you like that tie, that's fine. Just wear it better.

19. Rudals

Rudals Senior member

It was like the last tie that I had purchased from Needless Markup that I hadn't returned and I just had to pick out something from the store because they wouldn't give me a full refund. Hence that horrible green tie and the stripe tie from today. I hate everything in the store and was just forced to pick out something.

20. Cotton Dockers

Cotton Dockers Senior member

I like the tie, but I think the shirt is just too busy and bright for the rest of the outfit

Looks great, HC.

1 person likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.