• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

Claghorn

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
The formality of the white shirt, square, and that bowtie really clashses with the jacket. The tie might work with the jacket, but you'd want a rougher, maybe blue, shirt and a different square.

sugarbutch

Bearded Prick
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Must disagree. There's nothing formal about a white buttondown shirt. The neat bowtie could work in a more formal combination, but that doesn't make it inappropriate here. I'd prefer a different hank, but that isn't a dealbreaker.

Claghorn

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I don't know if it's a button down, but looking at the top picture, the shirt is definitely less formal than I initially thought. Still, the shirt and jacket don't really click for me. I know I generally have a hard time with jackets that rough in texture.

Preparatory

Reaction score

Blazer: Ljung
Tie: Unknown
Hank: Amanda Christensen
Trousers: Hilfiger
Shoes: Black AE brogues

Crat

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Nice, just two small points of criticism.

- Tie too light for my likings. Navy (or dark brown) would have been better.
- No belt?

clarinetplayer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

IrateCustomer, it's darker than it appears (blame the iPhone's selective color amplication). I like dark reds, just not true reds. (And, thanks!)

clarinetplayer, I will defer to your expertise in this area. I assure you that any correctness was purely coincidental. :)

And today is the Feast Day of Saint Cuthbert. Now, what color would he prefer? :happy:

Last edited:

upr_crust

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Welcome Spring (and not a moment too soon . . .)

Suit - BB GF
Shirt & Tie - BB
Cufflinks - London Badge & Button Co.
PS - no name brand
Boots - Paul Stuart
Overcoat - BB
Scarf - HF
Hat - Selentino

arglist

Reaction score
Thanks for the constructive comments, guys. Really appreciated.
The herringbone jacket is too close in scale to the shirt pattern.

This I don't fully understand. Would a smaller check pattern on the shirt make it better in your opinion? The Herringbone pattern is quite small so I decided against a small blue and white gingham shirt. Was that the wrong decision?

this. however, each individual piece is nice...just needs to be paired different. I hate to be that guy and go for the cliche "a light blue shirt wouldve been a better choice" but i guess its cliche because its almost always correct.

Welcome!

Thanks for the hint. I guess a light blue shirt would have been a safe bet. I thought this one would underline the informal impression of the double soled scoth grain shoes and the SC.

Whatever it is y'all are smoking, I recommend a bit less of it.

Do not underestimate the importance of looking good to stoned people as well. :)

Will try again soon.

arglist

Pliny

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Last edited:

Claghorn

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
This I don't fully understand. Would a smaller check pattern on the shirt make it better in your opinion? The Herringbone pattern is quite small so I decided against a small blue and white gingham shirt. Was that the wrong decision?
The amplitude of the herringbone is of similar length to the sides of the check.

RogerP

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Welcome Spring (and not a moment too soon . . .)

Suit - BB GF
Shirt & Tie - BB
Cufflinks - London Badge & Button Co.
PS - no name brand
Boots - Paul Stuart
Overcoat - BB
Scarf - HF
Hat - Selentino

How did you manage to get Spring? We still have snow on the ground here - with a fresh dusting just last night. Love it all, particularly the shirt. I must add a pink shirt for the warmer season, if it ever arrives.

upr_crust

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

How did you manage to get Spring?  We still have snow on the ground here - with a fresh dusting just last night.  Love it all, particularly the shirt.  I must add a pink shirt for the warmer season, if it ever arrives.

Spring has arrived in New York calendrically more than meteorologically - it's still cold, and there are still vestiges of snow on the ground in Manhattan, which should disappear today, as we do have sunshine, and the temperatures are to reach the low 40'sF/7C mark this PM. However, I'm ever the optimist. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 94 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.5%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads