• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

F. Corbera

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score

It certainly isn't a faux-pas, it's just an American business-wear rule - I don't know when it started. Navy suit and black shoes is the norm in Britain and indeed in most of Europe, and in plenty of Asia too. So I do wish people wouldn't perpetuate any particular cultural norm here as if it should be applied worldwide. Both combinations can work. We don't need style imperialism.

It's interesting that, as a foreigner, you have this impression. As phenomena today represented by forum-esque behaviors, I think it is almost entirely an artifact of how Italian style was/is marketed to American style magazines and RTW merchandizing. It's not historically mainstream American at all.

Before Italians began to dominate the most expensive RTW racks and the copy in American style magazines, you would almost never see it except in one circle. As Flusser puts it in his usual hyperbolic way:

For example, in those days, the Boston penchant for paring polished tan, as opposed to black, Brooks Brothers lace-ups with the firm's navy number one sacks was usually a dead giveaway to one's Brahmin origins.

Subversive touches like this were visual cues for both belonging and exclusion. They are found throughout the original habits of dress that people these days call "preppy" style (whatever that is now.)

Last edited:

Liam O

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's interesting that, as a foreigner, you have this impression. As phenomena today represented by forum-esque behaviors, I think it is almost entirely an artifact of how Italian style was/is marketed to American style magazines and RTW merchandizing. It's not historically mainstream American at all.
Before Italians began to dominate the most expensive RTW racks and the copy in American style magazines, you would almost never see it except in one circle. As Flusser puts it in his usual hyperbolic way:
For example, in those days, the Boston penchant for paring polished tan, as opposed to black, Brooks Brothers lace-ups with the firm's navy number one sacks was usually a dead giveaway to one's Brahmin origins.

Subversive touches like this were visual cues for both belonging and exclusion. They are found throughout the original habits of dress that people these days call "preppy" style (whatever that is now.)

The Mayflower Aristocracy is Hindu?

Butler

Reaction score

Isn't this James Caan in The Godfather?

No, I'm afraid it's yours truly :embar:

Can I make up for it, by showing the whole outfit? :bigstar:

Steven Hitchcock Morning coat/DB waistcoat & Cashmere trousers
T & A tunic shirt and self designed collar from Budd
New & Lingwood PS

dsc0067ei.jpg

By lifestylemanager at 2012-03-22

dsc0075oh.jpg

dsc0072iq.jpg

Photos. Journal of Style

the shah

OG Yamamoto
Reaction score

No, I'm afraid it's yours truly :embar:

Can I make up for it, by showing the whole outfit? :bigstar:

New & Lingwood PS

Photos. Journal of Style

wow !!! you made my dreams come true of seeing a morning coat here :)

nice colors, what's the bag??

FlyingMonkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Quote:

Interesting, thanks. And yes, you are correct that I really don't know a lot about US style norms. A lot of things that are thought of as 'traditional' or 'indigenous' in any culture have external origins so it doesn't surprise me.

Last edited:

Liam O

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
No, I'm afraid it's yours truly
shog[1].gif

Can I make up for it, by showing the whole outfit?
bigstar[1].gif

New & Lingwood PS

dsc0075oh.jpg

You look like you are going to kill someone. Very good look, but very scary.

Also, you never told us you went to Eton ;)

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads