• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

HESCHUNG SHOEMAKERS AT PITTI UOMO 86

Kochegar

Reaction score
Ginkgo is one of the most famous Heschung models. With waxed calf upper and grippy soft "ravel" sole they are top choice for winter boots.

Attachments

• _20190820_170121.JPG
    _20190820_170121.JPG
    166 KB · Views: 158
  • _20190820_170038.JPG
    _20190820_170038.JPG
    166.7 KB · Views: 222
  • _20190820_165956.JPG
    _20190820_165956.JPG
    275 KB · Views: 220

Buffon.bj

Reaction score
I, too, have two shoes from Heschung on the Odeon last, the Catalpa split toe derby and the Crocus plain toe derby. The Odeon last is simply wonderful to my feet, snug in the heel and yet wide enough in the forefoot. They are marvelous to walk with - the soles are very comfortable and grip even in very bad weather and snow conditions. The best victory/ridgeway-style sole I have ever tried on. Add to that the norwegian welt and oily leather, and the shoes are as good as waterproof. I am very pleased with both models.

Now I am debating on which boot to add for the winter from Heschung - Hetre, Gingko or Genet.

Kochegar

Reaction score
I don't like Heschung split toe style, it's too much for me. Now I am thinking about Chelsea boots Tremble on ravel sole.

They have "anilcalf" upper, not the waxy suportlo. Do you have anilcalf on your Catalpas? Is it OK for winter?

Buffon.bj

Reaction score
Those Tremble boots are very beautiful as well! Regarding the Anicalf leather, I personally rather like it. It catches scuffs and scratches rather easily, but it regains its shine very easily with shoe cream. Below are some (rather bad) photos of the Catalpas and the Crocuses. I just cleaned the Crocuses, the Catalpas have seen considerable wear and I'll condition them later today.

IMG_20190901_084355.jpg
IMG_20190901_084404.jpg
IMG_20190901_084325.jpg
IMG_20190901_084307.jpg

The leather handles snow and water really well, as it is easy to clean and polish afterwards. What's more, it's rather oily, so smaller amounts of water don't even really do anything to the leather.

Pediwear is offering some Heschung models at 20% off retail price right now. I am really drawn to the Ebene split toes in mahogany anicalf leather. The Ebene split toe is more prominent and the apron is more like hand-stitched and raised, and the tongue is a bellows tongue that keeps water at bay. I already have the Catalpas, though, so I'm not sure if I need the Ebenes... I just really like the colour, and I'd love to own more Heschung models as I know how perfect they are for my foot.

Other models that are 20% off right now include Gingkos, Buis, Thuyas, Catalpas and Crocuses. Some sizes left, but quite few in my UK9...

Buffon.bj

Reaction score
I do not really know where the shoes were made, as it doesn't say that on the shoes nor the shoe boxes. I would wager France, though, as the Catalpas especially are one of Heschung's most iconic models.

Kochegar

Reaction score
On mine GS1 barcode starts with 3 - made in France. Why not to state country of origin on the box or at some place? Little bit strange. Heard that Heschung still produces its core models in Alsace.

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
On mine GS1 barcode starts with 3 - made in France. Why not to state country of origin on the box or at some place? Little bit strange. Heard that Heschung still produces its core models in Alsace.
Most (maybe all) of the norwegian welted construction is in Alsace. Many of the goodyear models are made in their Hungarian facility.

Buffon.bj

Reaction score
This isn't really what I was supposed to buy, but I couldn't resist when I saw the ebay ad right in my size...

atelier_heschung_meleze_footwear_1296x.jpg

I hope they will fit me, as tyrolean-type shoes can be hard to size right.

Buffon.bj

Reaction score
I received the Meleze chukkas late last week. They were very tight around the ball of the foot at first, and I feared I had bought the wrong size. I brought them to a cobbler, however, and he stretched them, and now the shoes fit like a charm. The sole shape is actually identical to that of the Odeons, leading me to believe that the lasts could even be the same... though the initial fit is of course different thanks to the tyrolean construction of the vamp.

Otherwise, the shoes are really beautiful, and I like the Suportlo leather with its oily surface. Essentially fully waterproof, I am looking forward to wearing these in the rain and slush. My only small gripe is the sole. It's a light vibram Christy-type sole, which feels really similar to the wedge sole used in Red Wings for example. In my opinion, it does not look quite right, and I fear it shall wear down rather quickly. When that happens, however, I'll replace the sole with a Ridgeway or Victory sole. The best would be a Ravel sole like in my Crocuses, but I can't see getting that replaced lest I send the shoes to Heschung.

Anyway, some (bad) pics of the shoes:

And one more thing: I really prefer the fit of these to the Paraboot Michaels. With the Michaels, the volume around the tongue is absurdly big for me, and I never could lace those buggers tight enough for my feet not to slip. With these, the volume is much lesser though they are still roomy. Result? Walking in these feels like a breeze, whereas the Michaels just didn't work for my foot at all :)

Kochegar

Reaction score
I think ravel sole would be better for these. Christy sole is slippery on wet surfaces.
Hevea crepe sole is suprisingly good in rain)

Design is too much for me, very special))

Fuuma

Franchouillard Modasse
Reaction score
Most (maybe all) of the norwegian welted construction is in Alsace. Many of the goodyear models are made in their Hungarian facility.

I bet the Hungarian facility is just as good anyway, honestly we're talking great show tradition on both locations...

Don't wear split toes myself but can't really go wrong with any of their classic models.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads