• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

DayTripper

Reaction score
Did anybody order the Herring Godalming II
blank.gif
when they were on sale a bit ago? I've been looking for an inexpensive shoe in that exact style that I can beat up without worry.

Mannequin

Reaction score
I've been looking for a smart casual shoe, and noticed the Herring Edinburgh in Tan Calf. Is this a good shoe for someone who's just starting their shoe collection? I plan to wear this with dark indigo jeans and oxford button down shirts.

By the way, are there any active discount codes? Cheers.

Last edited:

Odradek

Reaction score

I've been looking for a smart casual shoe, and noticed the Herring Edinburgh in Tan Calf. Is this a good shoe for someone who's just starting their shoe collection? I plan to wear this with dark indigo jeans and oxford button down shirts.

By the way, are there any active discount codes? Cheers.

I used to own a pair of Herring Edinburgh and though I liked them at first, I don't think the quality is great compared to their higher priced offerings.

Made in Spain, the broguing wasn't punched all the way through in some places. Maybe not a big deal and nobody would notice, but over time, the shoes became less comfortable in the heel area.

Herring are a great company with great shoes, but I think you'd be better off going for something in their "classic" range.

Bureaucrat

Reaction score
Did anybody order the Herring Godalming II
blank.gif
when they were on sale a bit ago? I've been looking for an inexpensive shoe in that exact style that I can beat up without worry.
I bought the shoe last spring and all I can say that while they have hold up better than expected, the sizing is a nightmare. Due to the "continental sizing", I took a shot and ordered a size 42 (I wear a 7.5UK on almost all shoes). I had to return them and size down to a 41, which still are too big. I decided not to send them back again, just added an insole and now they are wearable beaters. I think a size 40 would be best for me in this shoe, which is crazy, as it converts to a size 6UK. Keep in mind that my experiences are based on the sizing of last year (they might have changed it now).

If you do still decide to get them, my advice is to contact herring, something I didn't think was necessary. In hindsight, it was foolish as Herring has one of the best and knowing customer service out there.

Mannequin

Reaction score
I used to own a pair of Herring Edinburgh and though I liked them at first, I don't think the quality is great compared to their higher priced offerings.

Made in Spain, the broguing wasn't punched all the way through in some places. Maybe not a big deal and nobody would notice, but over time, the shoes became less comfortable in the heel area.

Herring are a great company with great shoes, but I think you'd be better off going for something in their "classic" range.
Thank you for the reply.

With your advice I'm now looking at the Herring Lambeth in Conker Calf leather. Since I plan to wear this shoe regularly I figured a Dainite sole would give me greater grip for wetter days.

What do you think?

(As an aside, I was also thinking of swapping out the laces for more casual situations.)

Testo

Reaction score
Thank you for the reply.

With your advice I'm now looking at the Herring Lambeth in Conker Calf leather. Since I plan to wear this shoe regularly I figured a Dainite sole would give me greater grip for wetter days.

What do you think?

(As an aside, I was also thinking of swapping out the laces for more casual situations.)

Is there a big difference between leather sole and rubber sole? People have told me that they wear leather sole all the time in the rain and there's no issues. I don't think most people would mind whether you have a rubber or leather sole from appearances.

On the topic of herring, are there any other similar sites for shoes i should look at? I've looked at pediwear but their prices don't seem to be competitive with herring at all...and whatever they have on sale is extremely limited in sizes.

Mannequin

Reaction score
Is there a big difference between leather sole and rubber sole? People have told me that they wear leather sole all the time in the rain and there's no issues. I don't think most people would mind whether you have a rubber or leather sole from appearances.

On the topic of herring, are there any other similar sites for shoes i should look at? I've looked at pediwear but their prices don't seem to be competitive with herring at all...and whatever they have on sale is extremely limited in sizes.
I prefer rubber because it makes less noise on hardwood and generally lasts longer than leather.

I honestly don't know much about competing stores. I'm still very much a novice.

Thanasi

Reaction score
I have several pairs of Herrings in both leather and rubber.

Personally, I like leather, but my feet slip if I walk a little faster on concrete. Forget about it when it rains though.

The rubber in Herring is great. I'm wearing a pair today even in the sunny weather. But they are my dedicated shoes for rainy days.

koolhistorian

Reaction score
Bought a pair of Shakespeare II in Burgundy on their sale, arrived in approx. 24 h. (Working ones) from Exeter to Bucharest. Very versatile dub monk, leather soft, took well the polish (provided with the shoes), and if not raining today I will start the break in process. The only dilemma that I have is to Topy or not, because they are ment to be traveling shoes.

Bureaucrat

Reaction score
Just ordered the Herring Burgh boots: http://www.herringshoes.co.uk/product-info.php?&brandid=6&shoeid=1663
assuming they are Goodyear welted. Now I can't find anything on GYW in the description. Can anyone confirm if they are?
I actually bought the Burgh boots last December, although on Dainite soles. Have held up quite well, even though I've used them regularly through the winter months. Estimated usage between 2-3 times a week from December to late May/early June. Here's a pic:

(Sorry about the ****** quality, the photo doesn't do them justice.)

Enjoy your new boots. If you bought the slight seconds, you got them for a steal. They are of great value even in retail.

00Schneider

Reaction score
Yeah, I got the slight seconds, great price indeed. I ordered them in 7,5 because for the Loake capital I need 7,5. Hopefully they fit, even though the Burgh are supposed to be rather wide.

Bureaucrat

Reaction score
Yeah, I got the slight seconds, great price indeed. I ordered them in 7,5 because for the Loake capital I need 7,5. Hopefully they fit, even though the Burgh are supposed to be rather wide.
Just to give you peace of mind until the shoes arrive, I wear a 7.5UK in both the 026 and the capital last. The 026 last in the Burgh might be a bit roomier, but you shouldn't need to wear thicker socks or equip an insole. Personally, I wouldn't have been able to size down to a 7 in the 026, no chance.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 39 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads